Can electrons transition collectively, emitting 1 photon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of loosely-bound electrons combining their wavefunctions to emit a single high-frequency photon, rather than multiple photons of energies suggested by the potential difference. The theoretical reasons for this process are explored, including the difference from collective excitation of a nucleus. It is noted that this phenomenon is possible, but with very low probability due to the collective behavior of the electron field. The conversation also mentions the study of large ensembles of spin interacting with a microwave cavity, which has led to the possibility of storing and retrieving single photons using relatively large spin systems. The frequency of this emission is discussed in relation to single spin emission frequency.
TubbaBlubba
Basically, I'm asking about loosely-bound electrons, e.g. everyday static electricity. Can their combined wavefunction evolve to a low-energy state "at once", so that they emit a single high-frequency photon, rather than multiple photons of energies suggested by the potential difference?

If not, what is the deeper theoretical reason for it? How does it differ from the collective excitation of a nucleus?

As a 3rd (final) year undergrad this question hasn't occurred to me. I've taken introductory courses in QM, Subatomic, Statistical and Atomic-Molecular physics (exam on Monday actually). I have not taken courses in Solid State Physics (that's next term) nor in Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics (that's my next course).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Free electron laser perhaps?

How do moles worth of electrons all combine coherently as you seem to suggest. Only thing close I can think of are Bose Einstein condensates and phonons...not electrons.

By definition static electricity is incoherent.

houlahound said:
Free electron laser perhaps?

How do moles worth of electrons all combine coherently as you seem to suggest. Only thing close I can think of are Bose Einstein condensates and phonons...not electrons.

By definition static electricity is incoherent.
I'm not sure. I was thinking of collective movement across a potential from one bound state to another resulting in a greater photon frequency than the potential difference suggests.

The collective movement seems a problem with thermal electrons with random phases.

Secondly as basic QM showed the frequency is only dependent on the energy difference and independent of how many objects making the transition.

houlahound said:
The collective movement seems a problem with thermal electrons with random phases.
I'm imagining it as a rare but theoretically possible fluctuation.

Secondly as basic QM showed the frequency is only dependent on the energy difference and independent of how many objects making the transition.
Sure, but I have only studied many-electron systems and combined wavefunction shallowly. Pretty far removed from "particle in a box".

Think photoelectric effect, more photons below the threshold frequency will not eject an electron no matter how intense the beam.

houlahound said:
Think photoelectric effect, more photons below the threshold frequency will not eject an electron no matter how intense the beam.
I thought of that as an inverse analogy, yeah, but that would involve multiple photons and a single electron. The symmetrical inverse would be multiple electrons simultaneoysly absorbing a high-energy photon without being ejected. Presumably one could attempt to painstakingly observe it using a single-photon source.

As long as the selection rules are obeyed, it should be possible. The initial and final electron states should have angular momentum that differs by 1 unit, and if the initial and final states are symmetric, they can't have the same parity.

bhobba said:
Yes - but with very very low probability. Other processes are of much much higher probability.

Its tied up with the fact the electron is coupled to the quantum EM field that permeates the universe. Its one of the first indications we need QFT:
http://www.physics.usu.edu/torre/3700_Spring_2015/What_is_a_photon.pdf

Thanks
Bill
Thank you!

Since all electrons are indistinguishable, and there is no precise notion of ''outer electron'' (except in the Hartree-Fock approximation), any transition must be regarded as being a collective behavior of the electron field as a whole.

Likes TubbaBlubba
A. Neumaier said:
Since all electrons are indistinguishable, and there is no precise notion of ''outer electron'' (except in the Hartree-Fock approximation), any transition must be regarded as being a collective behavior of the electron field as a whole.
Excellent point. Thank you.

The answer is indeed yes.
There is a whole sub-field of experimental QM where people study large ensembles of spin interacting with for a example a microwave cavity, i.e. it is basically the generalization of "standard" cavity-QED (single spin 1/2 in a cavity) to a situation with many spin 1/2 systems. See Tavis-Cummings Hamiltonian.

There are papers out there showing store and retrieval of single photons using relatively large (10^10 or so) spin systems.

Likes TubbaBlubba and bhobba
And how is there frequency different to the single spin emission frequency?

Related to Can electrons transition collectively, emitting 1 photon?

1. What is the process of electrons transitioning collectively to emit 1 photon?

The process of electrons transitioning collectively to emit 1 photon is known as stimulated emission. This occurs when a photon stimulates an excited electron to release its energy, resulting in the emission of a new photon with the same energy, phase, and direction as the original photon.

2. Can electrons transition collectively without emitting a photon?

Yes, electrons can transition collectively without emitting a photon. This is known as spontaneous emission, where an excited electron releases its energy without any external stimulation. However, this process is less likely to occur compared to stimulated emission.

3. What causes electrons to transition collectively and emit 1 photon?

Electrons transition collectively to emit 1 photon when they are in an excited state and are stimulated by an external photon. This can occur in certain materials such as lasers, where a population inversion is created, leading to stimulated emission and the production of a coherent beam of light.

4. How is the energy of the emitted photon determined in collective electron transitions?

The energy of the emitted photon is determined by the energy difference between the excited and ground states of the electron. This energy difference is specific to each material and can be controlled by adjusting the properties of the material, such as its composition or temperature.

5. Are there any practical applications of collective electron transitions and photon emission?

Yes, there are many practical applications of collective electron transitions and photon emission. One example is in the production of lasers, where stimulated emission is used to create a highly concentrated and coherent beam of light. This has many uses in industries such as telecommunications, medicine, and manufacturing.