Can energy truly be converted into matter in our world?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theoretical possibility of turning energy into matter and vice versa. This concept is explored in particle collision experiments, where small particles are smashed together to produce larger, short-lived particles with more rest mass. These particles then decay into smaller particles with less rest mass and more kinetic energy. Fusion reactions also involve the conversion of energy into matter, resulting in atoms with larger mass than their inputs due to the kinetic energy of the initial atoms. Pair production, where the energy of a gamma ray is converted into a particle-antiparticle pair, is also mentioned. The participants in the conversation express their satisfaction with the answers provided.
Any name will do
Homework Statement
I am not a student; I have no homework to do; yet it's a research question I would like to ask to satisfy my own curiosity.

The question is: "We can turn matter into energy, by reducing the total mass in a nuclear fission, in which the loss of mass gets converted into energy according to the famous equation by Albert Einstein. However, have we, humans, ever produced an event in which energy turns into mass? Or have we ever observed such an event in which an energy loss creates matter? Do we have any theories how that may be done or caused to happen? and if yes, we do have widely-accepted theories by peers that describes how that could happen or be done, then could you please describe that event here as an answer, in terms that are understood by a physics-dilettante?"

I have prep school education in physics, which mainly involved classical physics (kinetics, mechanics, waves, harmonic motion, heat-pressure-volume equivalencies, etc.) I have no experience studying relativity physics or quantum physics. By prep-school education I meant that I finished grade 13 physics in Ontario in 1974, which at the time was an advanced high school subject, preparing pupils to enter university and take higher-level courses without the need to take prerequisites.
Relevant Equations
m=e/c^2
Theoretically possible, only if the process is reversible. But is it really. My knowledge base is insufficient to answer that. I need help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Turning energy into matter and vice versa is something of an imprecise statement of relativistic particle physics. In particle collision experiments (that are routinely done at CERN and other particle accelerators):

1) Particles with a small rest mass (e.g. protons) are smashed together to produce a particle or particles with a greater total rest mass. You could describe this as kinetic energy being converted into mass-energy.

2) The larger particles (which are often short-lived) decay into particles with less rest mass (and more kinetic energy). You could describe this as mass-energy being converted into kinetic energy.

Likes Any name will do and Ibix
Fusion that forms anything heavier than iron results in atoms that have a larger mass than the sum of the masses of their inputs; the difference comes from the kinetic energy of the initial atoms/ions. So the production of about half the periodic table in supernovae is another example.

Likes phinds, Any name will do and PeroK
Thank you, PeroK and Ibix. Your answers have fully satisfied my curiosity.

Likes berkeman, Ibix and PeroK
Not to ignore pair production wherein the energy of a (zero mass) gamma ray is converted into a massive particle-antiparticle pair in the vicinity of a nucleus.

• Informative
Likes Any name will do, Ibix and PeroK
kuruman said:
Not to ignore pair production wherein the energy of a (zero mass) gamma ray is converted into a massive particle-antiparticle pair in the vicinity of a nucleus.
Thanks also to you, Kuruman.

Likes kuruman and berkeman

1. Can energy truly be converted into matter?

Yes, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc², energy and matter are interchangeable. This means that energy can be converted into matter and vice versa.

2. How is energy converted into matter?

Energy can be converted into matter through a process called pair production, where a high energy photon (particle of light) interacts with a nucleus and creates a pair of particles, usually an electron and its antiparticle, a positron.

3. Is this conversion of energy into matter a common occurrence?

No, this type of conversion is not a common occurrence in our everyday lives. It typically occurs in high energy environments, such as in particle accelerators or during the early stages of the universe.

4. Can matter be converted back into energy?

Yes, matter can be converted back into energy through a process called annihilation. This occurs when a particle and its antiparticle collide and their masses are converted into energy in the form of photons.

5. Are there any limitations to the conversion of energy into matter?

While energy can be converted into matter, there are limitations based on the conservation of energy and mass. The total energy and mass before and after the conversion must be equal, and some energy may be lost in the process.