Can Ethyl Acetate be Used to Remove PLA from Plaster of Paris Molds?

In summary: Gold or silver.In summary, 3D printing the negative halves of the item you want to mold and using a mold release compound will make it easier to take the print out of the plaster.
inspacewithcallisto
TL;DR Summary
I need something that will dissolve PLA but won't affect plaster of paris.
I'm trying to make a mold because I want to add something to some jewelry. I 3D printed the symbol that I wanted, and tried to make a mold with Plaster of Paris. But I can't take the print out of the plaster, and I don't want to damage it with a knife. I'm thinking ethyl acetate? A quick google search says it melts PLA, but I don't know what it does to plaster. Anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Could you try it again and use a mold release compound to make it easier to take apart?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Could you try it again and use a mold release compound to make it easier to take apart?
i don't think i have access to that :(

inspacewithcallisto said:
i don't think i have access to that :(
Why not? There are lots of mold release agents/compounds, including some that you can make for yourself. And Amazon has plenty of choices...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mold+rel...ture-scomp&tag=amz-mkt-fox-us-20&ref=aa_scomp

1665082127387.png

tried to make a mold with Plaster of Paris
No idea what you plan to do, just in case: plaster of Paris won't survive high temperatures.

• Informative
Likes inspacewithcallisto and berkeman
Summary: I need something that will dissolve PLA but won't affect plaster of paris.

I'm trying to make a mold because I want to add something to some jewelry. I 3D printed the symbol that I wanted, and tried to make a mold with Plaster of Paris.
Hey wait a minute... Can you just 3D print the negative halves of the item you want to mold? In essence, 3D print the 2 halves of the mold and use it (with mold release compound!) to mold whatever your symbol/thing is.

https://3d.formlabs.com/moldmaking-...XPwhF9gGK1-cQcgnhePLgeABHGjJkFowaAh3IEALw_wcB

1665096613245.png

You can also print in PVA and use water to dissolve it.

BoB

PLA is soluble in dioxane, acetonitrile, chloroform, methylene chloride, 1,1,2-trichloroethane and dichloroacetic acid.

Plaster of paris is not soluble in any of these with the exception of dichloroacetic acid. I would use methylene chloride.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
I'm behing the curve here. What material is your final piece?

It would either be gold or silver?

1. What is the difference between PLA and Plaster of Paris?

PLA (polylactic acid) is a biodegradable plastic made from renewable resources such as corn starch or sugarcane. Plaster of Paris, on the other hand, is a white powder made from gypsum that hardens when mixed with water.

2. Can PLA and Plaster of Paris be used interchangeably?

No, PLA and Plaster of Paris have different properties and uses. PLA is commonly used in 3D printing, while Plaster of Paris is often used for molding and casting. It is important to use the correct material for your specific project.

3. Are PLA and Plaster of Paris safe to use?

Both PLA and Plaster of Paris are generally considered safe to use. However, as with any material, it is important to follow safety precautions and use proper ventilation when working with them.

4. Can PLA and Plaster of Paris be recycled?

Yes, PLA can be recycled through industrial composting facilities. Plaster of Paris can also be recycled by breaking it down into a powder and mixing it with water to create a new moldable material.

5. What are some common applications for PLA and Plaster of Paris?

PLA is commonly used in 3D printing for creating prototypes, household items, and even medical implants. Plaster of Paris is often used for creating casts for broken bones, molds for sculptures, and as a building material for creating decorative elements.