Can Gamma Radiation Penetrate a Geiger Counter from Any Direction?

In summary: The effect is usually small, and depends on the energy of the gamma rays. In summary, the argument is about the use of a gamma source and the orientation of the Geiger counter. The counter may have a detection efficiency that varies based on the direction of the incoming radiation, but it should still be sensitive in all directions. The presence of a magnet may have a small effect on the detection, but the main factor is the energy of the gamma rays.
darkfall13
I'm currently in a heated argument with a classmate about a portion of an experiment we did where we placed a beta emitter on a straight line from the Geiger counter placing a magnet within the path and other where the source was 90 degrees from the counter. Understandably depending on the orientation of the magnetic high or virtually zero readings would be made.

The contention comes from the use of a gamma source. He has measured 0 counts on the 90 degree orientation. While I measured considerably more than straight line travel (this was due to the 90 degree orientation actually puts the source closer to the counter). Understandably the magnet doesn't matter here anymore. But just before this portion of experimentation we dealt with the penetration of the radiation types, with gamma of course penetrating all the thicknesses of lead available.

But the argument comes from this orientation. He says that because the Geiger counter is orientation sensitive we should not observe a reading because the radiation vector does not point into the opening of the counter. While I argue that the Geiger counter is made of plastics and metals. Easily pierced by gamma radiation. So regardless of where the source is readings will occur. As I believe the counter works through Compton events within the chamber when gamma rays enter, therefore they can enter from anywhere the radiation can penetrate.

If at all possible I would like an explanation one way or the other as what the likely event is. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A Geiger counter will generally have a detection efficiency that depends on the direction of the incoming radiation, but it shouldn't be completely insensitive in any direction. Gamma and even some beta radiation will enter it and can trigger a response inside.

There is always some chance that the gamma rays knock out an electron before they reach your magnet, so the magnet can play a role.

Related to Can Gamma Radiation Penetrate a Geiger Counter from Any Direction?

1. How do I structure my explanation of an experiment?

When explaining an experiment, it is important to follow a clear and logical structure. Start by introducing the purpose or objective of the experiment, then provide a brief background of the topic and previous research. Next, explain the experimental design and methodology, including any variables and controls. Finally, present the results and conclusions, and discuss their significance.

2. What information should I include when explaining an experiment?

When explaining an experiment, make sure to include the following key information: the purpose or objective, background information, experimental design and methodology, results and data analysis, and conclusions. You may also want to include any limitations or potential sources of error in your experiment.

3. How do I make my explanation of an experiment clear and easy to understand?

To make your explanation of an experiment clear and easy to understand, use simple and concise language, avoid jargon, and provide visual aids such as graphs or charts to help clarify complex data. It may also be helpful to break down the explanation into smaller, digestible chunks and to use examples or analogies to illustrate key points.

4. What should I do if my experiment did not yield the expected results?

If your experiment did not yield the expected results, it is important to still present and explain the data objectively. Discuss any potential reasons for the unexpected results, such as errors in the experimental design or methodology, and suggest ways in which the experiment could be improved in the future.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my explanation of an experiment?

To ensure the accuracy of your explanation of an experiment, it is important to carefully review and analyze your data, double-check any calculations or measurements, and consult with colleagues or experts in the field to verify your findings. It may also be helpful to include a detailed list of references or sources to support your explanation.