New distance between the Geiger counter and the source

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a point source of γ-radiation with a half-life of 30 minutes and initial count rate of 360 s-1 at a distance of 2.0 m from the source. After 1.5 hours, the count rate is recorded as 5 s-1 and the question is what the new distance between the counter and the source is. The solution involves using the inverse square law and the ratio of the count rates to determine the new distance, which is found to be 6 m.
moenste

Homework Statement

A point source of γ-radiation has a half-life of 30 minutes. The initial count rate, recorded by a Geiger counter placed 2.0 m from the source, is 360 s-1. The distance between the counter and the source is altered. After 1.5 hour the count rate recorded is 5 s-1. What is the new distance between the counter and the source?

Answer: 6 m.

2. The attempt at a solution
We have:
T1 / 2 = 1800 s.
d = 2 m
R = 360 s-1

t = 5400 s
d = ?
R = 5 s-1

No idea what to do here. R = R0 e- λ t, but I don't see a way to find distance from this formula. There is also a formula from the experimental verification of the inverse square law for γ-rays: x = k R- 1 / 2 - c, where d = x + c (distance between actual position of source and effective point of detection), k = constant of proportionality. But I still see not much connection between these two formulas.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
The inverse square law applies. First determine the new count rate that would be detected at the original distance (if the counter were not moved). Any difference of the actual measured rate from that rate must be due to the change in distance from the source.

Likes moenste
We seem number of photons will be distributed onto a sphere, If N is number of photons that appears at time t, ##\frac{N}{4\pi r^2}## will be the number of photons that the count rate recorded.

Likes moenste
gneill said:
First determine the new count rate that would be detected at the original distance (if the counter were not moved).
R = R0 e- λ t = 360 * e- (ln 2 / 1800) * 5400 = 45 s-1?

gneill said:
Any difference of the actual measured rate from that rate must be due to the change in distance from the source.
It looks like the difference is 45 - 5 = 40 s-1.

I also simplified the formula d = k / √ R. Though I've no idea what is k.

moenste said:
R = R0 e- λ t = 360 * e- (ln 2 / 1800) * 5400 = 45 s-1?
Good.
It looks like the difference is 45 - 5 = 40 s-1.

I also simplified the formula d = k / √ R. Though I've no idea what is k.

Differences won't help. Use ratios to scale the rate with distance. It's an inverse square law so rate ∝ 1/d2.

gneill said:
Differences won't help. Use ratios to scale the rate with distance. It's an inverse square law so rate ∝ 1/d2.
I ∝ 1 / d2
I ∝ 1 / 22
I ∝ 0.25

I still don't the use of it. Maybe you mean 45 s-1 / 2 m = 5 s-1 / d → d = 0.22 m?

At intial time, the count rate recorded is R. It means:
$$R=\frac{N_0}{4\pi d^2}$$
The distane d will change into d'. After 1,5h and ##N_0## will change into N. Find the ratio d'/d. You will have the answer

Likes moenste
Suppose you have a quantity A that varies as the inverse square of the distance d. Then inserting a constant of proportionality k you can write:

##A = \frac{k}{d^2}##

Now if you have two pairs of data, ##(A_1,d_1)## and ##(A_2,d_2)##, then you can write:

##A_1 = \frac{k}{d_1^2}## and ##A_2 = \frac{k}{d_2^2}##

You can then form the ratios:

##\frac{A_2}{A_1} = \frac{\frac{k}{d_2^2}}{\frac{k}{d_2^2}} = \frac{d_1^2}{d_2^2}##

Or, extracting the important relationship:

##\frac{A_2}{A_1} = \frac{d_1^2}{d_2^2}##

If you have a known data pair and one half of another data pair, you can find the "missing" value.

Likes moenste
Hamal_Arietis said:
$$R=\frac{N_0}{4\pi d^2}$$
Sorry my equation is incorrect.
R is the number of photon that the count rate recorded in 1s. So at the time A point source of γ-radiation has ##N_0## photons. Number of photons that count rate recorded in 1s is:
$$R=\frac{N_0(1-e^{-1.\lambda })}{4\pi d^2}$$
After 1,5h and d change into d'
$$R'=\frac{N(1-e^{-1.\lambda })}{4\pi d'^2}=\frac{N_0.e^{-\lambda t}.(1-e^{-1.\lambda })}{4\pi d'^2}$$

Find the ratio.

Likes moenste
gneill said:
Suppose you have a quantity A that varies as the inverse square of the distance d. Then inserting a constant of proportionality k you can write:

##A = \frac{k}{d^2}##

Now if you have two pairs of data, ##(A_1,d_1)## and ##(A_2,d_2)##, then you can write:

##A_1 = \frac{k}{d_1^2}## and ##A_2 = \frac{k}{d_2^2}##

You can then form the ratios:

##\frac{A_2}{A_1} = \frac{\frac{k}{d_2^2}}{\frac{k}{d_2^2}} = \frac{d_1^2}{d_2^2}##

Or, extracting the important relationship:

##\frac{A_2}{A_1} = \frac{d_1^2}{d_2^2}##

If you have a known data pair and one half of another data pair, you can find the "missing" value.
Get it, just rearrange the equation for k and then substitute in the first equation parts of the second instead of k.

R1 d12 = R2 d22
45 * 22 = 5 * d22
d2 = 6 m.

Thank you!

What is the "new distance" between the Geiger counter and the source?

The "new distance" refers to the physical distance between the Geiger counter and the source of radiation being measured.

Why is the "new distance" important in scientific experiments?

The "new distance" is important because it can affect the accuracy and reliability of the measurements taken by the Geiger counter. It also allows scientists to study the effects of radiation at different distances.

How is the "new distance" measured?

The "new distance" can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape to determine the physical distance between the Geiger counter and the source. Alternatively, it can be calculated using mathematical equations and known values.

What factors can influence the "new distance"?

The "new distance" can be influenced by various factors such as the type of radiation being measured, the shielding material between the source and the Geiger counter, and any obstacles that may be present in the environment.

Can the "new distance" change during an experiment?

Yes, the "new distance" can change during an experiment if the Geiger counter or the source is moved. This can affect the measurements and should be taken into consideration when analyzing the data.