Can Genius solve any of exercises of textbook

In summary, the conversation revolved around whether a genius can solve all exercises in a textbook without any problems or mistakes. Some argued that it depends on the difficulty of the exercises and the amount of time given, while others believed that persistence and hard work are more important qualities for a scientist. There was also a discussion on the quote "genius is 1% intelligence and 99% hard work" and whether it was attributed to Einstein or Edison. The original question was posed by a friend and the purpose behind it was not clear.
Nanas
I know my question is not clear.All I want to say if genius ones can solve any exercise of textbook without any problem I mean without having a problem at one of the sub exercise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is not clear at all. What the hell are you talking about?

My dog is a genius at fetching balls.

Last edited:
In the modern textbooks of mathematics, on every section there are many exercises, is one who is a genius can solve all the exercises of the textbook without having any mistakes or problems.I assumed that this genius is reading the section and then solve exercises is that clear now ?

My English is bad I know.I want to know from you only if my question is clear now or not ?

Your question is clear enough, but actually meaningless.

The answer is yes: a genius will be able to solve all exercises of a textbook. But it may take some time.

micromass said:
The answer is yes: a genius will be able to solve all exercises of a textbook. But it may take some time.

What do you mean by some time ?

Nanas, your question is not really meaningful or useful. What is your purpose in asking it?

The POINT of exercises in books is to give students an opportunity to apply the concepts in the book. What difference does it make if a particularly smart person can figure them all out?

ANYBODY can figure them all out given enough time.

Nanas said:
What do you mean by some time ?

A day, a month, a year, ...
Some textbooks exercises are extra-ordinary hard. It could take a genius over a year to solve all of them. It happens.

micromass said:
A day, a month, a year, ...
Some textbooks exercises are extra-ordinary hard. It could take a genius over a year to solve all of them. It happens.
I think of that also he can solve all exercises and remain 4 or 5 Extra-ordinary hard questions which he will take a lot of time to solve.But must anyone try to solve all exercises

Nanas said:
I think of that also he can solve all exercises and remain 4 or 5 Extra-ordinary hard questions which he will take a lot of time to solve.But must anyone try to solve all exercises

:confused:

Nanas, could you please tell us why you are asking all these questions? Why do you need to know this?? It'll be easier for us to help you if you tell us some more.

Did somebody tell you that you MUST solve all questions in a textbook in order to be smart?? Is this why you are asking this?

phinds said:
Nanas, your question is not really meaningful or useful. What is your purpose in asking it?

The POINT of exercises in books is to give students an opportunity to apply the concepts in the book. What difference does it make if a particularly smart person can figure them all out?

ANYBODY can figure them all out given enough time.

But the time students have to solve them (I think) very Short.

Nanas said:
But the time students have to solve them (I think) very Short.
If it is a school textbook assigned for your course, then you don't need to be a genius in order to solve them. You just need to be a good student.

Evo said:
If it is a school textbook assigned for your course, then you don't need to be a genius in order to solve them. You just need to be a good student.

I'm sorry Evo, but it's obvious that you never read Rudin before :biggrin: I doubt that there are much students out there that can solve all of his exercises... I still have nightmares from that book :tongue2:

micromass said:
:confused:

Nanas, could you please tell us why you are asking all these questions? Why do you need to know this?? It'll be easier for us to help you if you tell us some more.

Did somebody tell you that you MUST solve all questions in a textbook in order to be smart?? Is this why you are asking this?

yes!

Nanas said:
yes!
Then they were wrong.

Nanas said:
yes!

Indeed, they were wrong. Being a genius has little to do with being able to solve textbook problems quickly.

A good scientist is (for me) somebody who can work hard and really embed himself in the problem. It may take years to reach a solution (and some never reach a solution), but a scientist must persist.

Remember what Einstein said: genius is 1% intelligence and 99% hard work. I believe that.

A genius could solve all the exercises, but not everyone who solves them is a genius.

Out of curiosity, is there a specific textbook you are using?

micromass said:
Remember what Einstein said: genius is 1% intelligence and 99% hard work.
Are you referring to this Thomas Edison quote?

Thomas Edison said:
Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Thomas_Edison"

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy Snyder said:
Are you referring to this Thomas Edison quote?

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Thomas_Edison"

Aaah! I have a poster in which Einstein says it :frown: Apparently it is Edison.

Hmm, I liked the quote better when I thought that Einstein said it.

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
Aaah! I have a poster in which Einstein says it :frown: Apparently it is Edison.

Hmm, I liked the quote better when I thought that Einstein said it.

There is staggering amount of things attributed to Einstein that actually weren't his. The one I hate the most is that stupid riddle about fish and stuff.:(

malty said:
There is staggering amount of things attributed to Einstein that actually weren't his. The one I hate the most is that stupid riddle about fish and stuff.:(
I haven't been able to verify this one.
A. Einstein said:
I'm no Einstein, but ...

micromass said:
Remember what Einstein said: genius is 1% intelligence and 99% hard work. I believe that.

I Believe that also.

In Fact this question wasn't for me but it was my friend's question!

I didn't know his aim for this question.It is not actually a question.He said to me "a genius can solve all of exercises rapidly,Right " I told him that I didn't Know.

I got this from the book Gauge Fields, Knots and Gravity by John Baez and Javier P. Muniain. Page 449, Exercise 53:

Construct a theory of physics reconciling gravity and quantum theory. (Hint: you may have to develop new mathematical tools.) Design and conduct experiments to test the theory.

I consider myself a genius, but i have a very hard time solving the simplest of problems.

I don't Consider my self a genius.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I got this from the book Gauge Fields, Knots and Gravity by John Baez and Javier P. Muniain. Page 449, Exercise 53:

I love this kind of Exercises,although I don't study Physics.But this Question make you fell what Albert Einestien , Isaac Newton,...etc had felt when they began their discoveries.

A genius will ask the right questions and form new problems that no one has ever seen before, and then the genius will solve those problems, usually inventing new theory and math along the way.

Nanas said:
I know my question is not clear.All I want to say if genius ones can solve any exercise of textbook without any problem I mean without having a problem at one of the sub exercise.

Genius is in the eye of the beholder. I've seen world leading fields medal recipients struggle like crazy to understand a new proof. IMO - the thing that separates a genius from a non-genius is effort. Quite frankly, most people are lazy of the mind. Just stop by any math class and observe students.

Nanas said:
I don't Consider my self a genius.
But, you will once you do all the exercises in your textbook? Oh common.

malty said:

Yeah, like relativity.

you mean like special relativity and not General relativity ?

<h2>1. Can Genius solve any exercise from any textbook?</h2><p>Genius is a powerful tool that can solve a wide range of exercises from various textbooks. However, it may not be able to solve every single exercise as it depends on the complexity and format of the exercise. It is always best to try it out and see if it can solve your specific exercise.</p><h2>2. How accurate is Genius in solving exercises?</h2><p>Genius uses advanced algorithms and artificial intelligence to solve exercises. It has a high accuracy rate, but it is not perfect. It is always recommended to double-check the results and use your own knowledge and understanding to verify the solution.</p><h2>3. Is Genius a replacement for studying and learning?</h2><p>No, Genius is not a replacement for studying and learning. It is a helpful tool that can assist in solving exercises and providing explanations, but it should not be used as a substitute for understanding the concepts and material.</p><h2>4. Can Genius solve exercises in different languages?</h2><p>Yes, Genius has the ability to solve exercises in various languages. However, it may not support every language. It is best to check the language options available in the tool and see if it supports the language of your textbook.</p><h2>5. Is Genius free to use?</h2><p>Genius offers a free trial period, but after that, a subscription is required to continue using the tool. However, there are also some free features available for users. It is recommended to check the pricing and features before using the tool.</p>

1. Can Genius solve any exercise from any textbook?

Genius is a powerful tool that can solve a wide range of exercises from various textbooks. However, it may not be able to solve every single exercise as it depends on the complexity and format of the exercise. It is always best to try it out and see if it can solve your specific exercise.

2. How accurate is Genius in solving exercises?

Genius uses advanced algorithms and artificial intelligence to solve exercises. It has a high accuracy rate, but it is not perfect. It is always recommended to double-check the results and use your own knowledge and understanding to verify the solution.

3. Is Genius a replacement for studying and learning?

No, Genius is not a replacement for studying and learning. It is a helpful tool that can assist in solving exercises and providing explanations, but it should not be used as a substitute for understanding the concepts and material.

4. Can Genius solve exercises in different languages?

Yes, Genius has the ability to solve exercises in various languages. However, it may not support every language. It is best to check the language options available in the tool and see if it supports the language of your textbook.

5. Is Genius free to use?

Genius offers a free trial period, but after that, a subscription is required to continue using the tool. However, there are also some free features available for users. It is recommended to check the pricing and features before using the tool.