Can glass really break into tiny harmful dust particles?

• Thread starter glassbreaker123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where the speaker's dog broke a glass on the floor and the speaker's father yelled at them for not vacuuming the glass debris. The speaker wonders if the glass breaks into small, harmful dust and why it would do so. The father explains that the glass can fracture into small, sharp shards that can be difficult to see and can penetrate the skin. The recommended method for cleaning up the glass is to use a damp paper towel.
glassbreaker123
my dog jumped on table and dropped a drinking glass to the floor. obviously i took a brush and cleaned it. later on my dad comes and starts yelling that i should have vacuumed that. he said that the glass for some reason breaks into small little dust that will penetrate thru your bare feet skin.

is it true that the glass breaks into a somewhat big amount(an amount that would cause harm if stepped on, that's what i thought my dad said) of small dust that i can't even see, and then that dust would be more harmful than any other dust? why would the glass break into dust, it breaks into bigger pieces. and dust I am talking about really fine flour or something.

Physics news on Phys.org
glassbreaker123 said:
he said that the glass for some reason breaks into small little dust that will penetrate thru your bare feet skin.
Dust is not the right word, but vacuuming is a good idea. Glass debris around 1-2mm cannot be brushed up very well, but can still hurt if you step on them barefoot.

glassbreaker123 said:
why would the glass break into dust, it breaks into bigger pieces. and dust I am talking about really fine flour or something.

Flour-fine glass dust won't penetrate your skin (inhaled is a different problem), but glass will also fracture into small needle-like shards that will penetrate skin and are also very hard to see. My technique of choice is a damp paper towel...

1. What causes a drinking glass to shatter when dropped?

When a drinking glass is dropped, the force of impact causes the glass to deform and release stored energy. This energy is released in the form of cracks and fractures, resulting in the glass shattering into smaller pieces.

2. Can the type of surface the glass is dropped on affect the outcome?

Yes, the surface can have a significant impact on the shattering of a drinking glass. A hard, uneven surface such as concrete or tile can cause more damage compared to a soft, even surface like carpet or grass.

3. Is there a way to prevent a drinking glass from breaking when dropped?

There are a few ways to minimize the chances of a drinking glass shattering when dropped. Using glasses made of tempered glass or plastic can make them more resistant to breaking. Additionally, handling the glass carefully and avoiding dropping it can also help prevent breakage.

4. Why do some drinking glasses bounce when dropped while others shatter instantly?

This is due to the composition of the glass. Some glasses, such as crystal or stemware, are made of thinner, more fragile glass compared to thicker, more durable glasses like mason jars. The thinner glass is more likely to break upon impact, while the thicker glass may have enough flexibility to bounce instead.

5. What should I do if a drinking glass shatters when dropped?

If a drinking glass shatters when dropped, it is important to safely and carefully clean up any broken pieces to avoid injury. Wearing protective gloves and using a broom and dustpan or vacuum cleaner can help with the clean-up process. It is also recommended to dispose of any food or beverages that may have come into contact with the broken glass.