Can grad students take fun undergrad courses?

In summary, at most places you are allowed to audit courses if you like (i.e. take them, but without credit) and take whatever courses you like as long as you fulfill the physics requirements and make adequate progress.
DukeofDuke
Can grad students take "fun" undergrad courses?

Hi,
is there any general policy on what undergraduate courses Physics grad students can take?

I'm a physics undergrad, but I like mathematics quite a bit and there are a lot of math courses I know I won't be able to take before I graduate. So I was curious as to whether Physics Graduate departments would mind if I sat in on an extra math course every once in a while for fun (or if there is a general policy for this type of thing, involving tuition and such).

Physics news on Phys.org

It will of course depend on your university, but from the experiences I have with graduate students (mostly from European universities, don't know if it matters) it seems that at most places you're allowed to audit courses if you like (i.e. take them, but without credit) and take whatever courses you like as long as you fulfill the physics requirements and make adequate progress (auditing may not be possible at all places). At most places you're given pretty free reins as long as you show you can handle it. I would be really surprised to find a university in which physics students aren't allowed to at least enroll in a couple of undergrad math courses. For parts of physics the standard undergrad math training just isn't enough, and in that case departments would be crazy not to allow students to take a bit more math. In my experience the students who go a bit outside the comfort zone of their field and take some auxiliary courses are the best student and I believe departments know this.

It depends on the school. Schools where the physics department ends up paying the math department if you sit in will have a different view than ones that don't. Also, do not forget that graduate school is a full time job.

Hi DukeofDuke,

Another factor you should be aware of is the difference between different sub-disciplines in physics. I am a theoriest, and I have taken a large number of classes outside of physics, including neuroscience, biology, mathematics, and economics/finance. I basically have the freedom to do whatever I want as long as I satisfy my advisor with my work and remain on track according to the department's timeline. On the other hand, many of my experimental friends basically spend all their time in the lab.

String theorists I know typically have more freedom and desire to take interesting math classes. Still, most theorists I know have taken at least one math class outside of the physics dept. Also, I don't know anyone who has spent more time outside physics than myself, so there does appear to be a self-imposed upper limit of maybe 3-4 classes. And of course, I can only speak for my own department.

I took multiple completely unrelated undergrad and graduate courses as a grad student, generally one per semester in my later years. I'd tell (not ask) my advisor what I was doing; he didn't seem to understand my motivations, but had no serious problem with it.

Tuition-wise, some universities might have issues depending on your funding status and how that school works; every place seems different. It wasn't a problem for me.

Physics Monkey said:
On the other hand, many of my experimental friends basically spend all their time in the lab.

Indeed, my advisor used to get upset whenever I told him I needed to attend a course; simply because he wanted me to focus on the experiments.
And these were all compulsory courses that I had to pass in order to get my PhD:smile:

Would it be feasible to take the extra courses as an undergrad and then graduate a semester or two later? Keeping your undergrad status would remove a lot of the bureaucratic hoops that you'd otherwise have to jump through, and lots of places will let you keep your undergrad financial aid for an extra semester or two.

davesface said:
Would it be feasible to take the extra courses as an undergrad and then graduate a semester or two later? Keeping your undergrad status would remove a lot of the bureaucratic hoops that you'd otherwise have to jump through, and lots of places will let you keep your undergrad financial aid for an extra semester or two.

The courses are not important enough to sacrifice a year of grad school for :)

For my own personal benefit, I took a freshman computer science course while I was a graduate physics student with a T.A.. It was in a totally different department and and had nothing to do with my research. The physics graduate coordinator seemed to have a positive attitude toward the idea, but I don't know what my advisor thought about it; I didn't ask his permission. (I didn't feel obligated since I was on a T.A. rather than an R.A..)

Related to Can grad students take fun undergrad courses?

1. Can grad students take undergraduate courses for fun?

Yes, grad students are allowed to take undergraduate courses for fun. However, it is important to prioritize your graduate coursework and make sure that taking an undergraduate course does not negatively impact your progress towards your degree.

2. Will taking undergraduate courses as a grad student affect my GPA?

Yes, any undergraduate courses that you take as a grad student will count towards your overall GPA. This could be either positive or negative, depending on your performance in the course.

3. Are there any limitations on which undergraduate courses I can take as a grad student?

Some universities may have restrictions on which undergraduate courses grad students can take. It is important to check with your department or advisor before enrolling in an undergraduate course.

4. Do I have to pay for undergraduate courses as a grad student?

Yes, you will typically have to pay for undergraduate courses as a grad student. However, some universities may offer a discounted rate for graduate students taking undergraduate courses.

5. Will taking undergraduate courses benefit me as a grad student?

Taking undergraduate courses can provide a well-rounded education and expose you to different perspectives and ideas. It can also give you a break from your graduate coursework and allow you to explore other interests. However, it is important to make sure that taking these courses does not hinder your progress towards your graduate degree.