Can grandpa understand the Bell's Theorem?

In summary, the Bell's Theorem has a correlation between results that is explained by quantum mechanics.
DrChinese said:
A. The Product State statistics follow the formula (for matches):

.25+ (cos^2(theta)/2)

which yields the other series you mention. In a local realistic model that follows Malus, that is what you would expect to see. Thus the match rate ranges from .25 to .75.

B. Obviously, that is far away from the QM prediction of cos^2(theta), which ranges from 0 to 1. There aren't any local realistic models that follow this prediction, of course. You can also have the local realistic model which DOES range from 0 to 1 on a straight line. Of course, that then does NOT follow Malus.

Yes. If you happen to try using the spreadsheet I put in post 200, you can put in this formula:
=0.25+COS(D3)^2/2
It matches the figure in cell F2, regardless of what angle you put in cell C3. But, as I mentioned before, there's probably a much more elegant way to do it with calculus, and in any case, it fails to reproduce the result of the experiment.

From making the assumption that the photons have a "local realistic" polarization variable, my most immediate interpretation of the experiment, is that somehow each pair of photons align themselves with one or the other of the crystals.

And that suggests that somehow the photon "knows in advance" which way the polarizer is going to be oriented "when" it gets to it.

Physics news on Phys.org
DrChinese said:
Don't you see that this is easily testable with entangled pairs?

Or are you saying that BOTH of a pair are "invisible"? In which case nothing is explained vis a vis Bell.

Yes, since the polarization match means: failure to get through one detector implies its partner will not get through either. I can try and reword a bit to clarify:

A particle modeled with the properties of a bloch sphere as shown http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloch_sphere" . This is represented below by the red area on Bob and Alice measuring devices. This picture shows that Bob and Alice measure the same up/down for particles that reach the detector, no matter the orientation of their measuring devices as long as they both measure at the same angle:
clock45_p1.jpg

If Alice tilts here measing device by 90 degrees relative to Bob, Bob and Alice will measure the predicted 50% matches and 50% different. When Alice tilts her measuring device by 45 degrees she gets the 85% match and 15% difference with Bob that QM predicts and experiments confirm:
clock45_p2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
edguy99 said:
A particle modeled with the properties of a bloch sphere as shown http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloch_sphere" . ...

OK, let stop here before proceeding.

What does this have to do with anything? Entangled photons do not have any such "area" that "cannot be measured" as far as anyone knows. I seriously doubt there is anything like this with pairs of entangled 1/2 spin particles either, but really who cares? Virtually all Bell tests are with photons or other particles where this is not meaningful.

My point being that it would be nice if you were presenting an example that doesn't try to exploit some anomaly that is not general to entangled particles. Because if it is not general, it is going to be experimentally refuted by other tests.

DrChinese said:
... Virtually all Bell tests are with photons or other particles where this is not meaningful.

I feel it is meaningful for photons. Consider the representation of a photon polarization show http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization_(waves)" . These are taken directly from the surface of a spinning bloch sphere over time.

edguy99 said:
I feel it is meaningful for photons. Consider the representation of a photon polarization show http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization_(waves)" . These are taken directly from the surface of a spinning bloch sphere over time.

OK, for whatever purpose you want to model this, sure. But you can't just say "there is a mysterious effect that causes some photon pairs to be invisible" and then say this effect should be accounted for. If they are invisible, we can't ever see them and it is as if they don't exist. So you should account for them that way.

If you are creating a model, you can give it any properties/rules you want. But then I get to bounce that against actual experiments! (P.S. There are NO experiments indicating that photons have any such property as having some angle where they are less visible. And there are plenty of ways to demonstrate that using entangled particle pairs.)

DrChinese said:
OK, for whatever purpose you want to model this, sure. But you can't just say "there is a mysterious effect that causes some photon pairs to be invisible" and then say this effect should be accounted for. If they are invisible, we can't ever see them and it is as if they don't exist. So you should account for them that way.

If you are creating a model, you can give it any properties/rules you want. But then I get to bounce that against actual experiments! (P.S. There are NO experiments indicating that photons have any such property as having some angle where they are less visible. And there are plenty of ways to demonstrate that using entangled particle pairs.)

One thing that would destroy this model is if you could really measure 50% of the photons with a linear polarizer. I know that many calculations are done on HN50 polarizers, but the best "real" polarizing sheets that I could find on the internet were HN38. Is there a reason "ideal" HN50 polarizers don't exist?

edguy99 said:
One thing that would destroy this model is if you could really measure 50% of the photons with a linear polarizer. I know that many calculations are done on HN50 polarizers, but the best "real" polarizing sheets that I could find on the internet were HN38. Is there a reason "ideal" HN50 polarizers don't exist?

Not sure what you are getting at. Most experiments are done with beam splitters. There is some trade off between transmission efficiency and the quality of the output beam, but I would say that at least 95% of the light gets through irrespective of the input angle. So you are fishing around where any hypothetical effect would be glaringly obvious.

edguy99 said:

But my understanding was that the bi-refringent crystals they used gave you very close to a 100% detection rate. Also, I can't find, at least on the internet, anything saying what HN32, HN38s or HN42 mean.

JDoolin said:
But my understanding was that the bi-refringent crystals they used gave you very close to a 100% detection rate. Also, I can't find, at least on the internet, anything saying what HN32, HN38s or HN42 mean.

Its not the issure of the crystal but the detection. The example cited http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0205/0205171v1.pdf" shows a very clear diagram setup at Figure 1. The polarizers in question are labeled PA Polarizer A and PB Polarizer B.

As I understand the meaning of HN50 is you start with linear polarized light coming at you that could be polarized in any direction. The HN50 designation means that 1/2 the light will get through. If you imagine a clock, then "up" would be any photon polarized between 9 through noon to 3 oclock. "down" would be any photon polarized between 3 through 6 to 9 oclock. The fact that no HN50 polarizers exist, suggests that a HN32 polarizer may well only be detecting "up" light in the angles 10 oclock to 2 oclock and the other polarizer is detecting from 4 oclock to 8 oclock.

It is clear from the link, that they are only counting "detected" photons that have passed these polarizers and it seems clear from the properties of polarizers that there must be a fair number of "undetected" photons kicking around.

edguy99 said:
The fact that no HN50 polarizers exist, suggests that a HN32 polarizer may well only be detecting "up" light in the angles 10 oclock to 2 oclock and the other polarizer is detecting from 4 oclock to 8 oclock.

It is clear from the link, that they are only counting "detected" photons that have passed these polarizers and it seems clear from the properties of polarizers that there must be a fair number of "undetected" photons kicking around.

This is ridiculous! Are you not aware that this would be obvious with even the most simple of experiments? All you have to do is rotate a polarized source across 90 degrees and you would notice that the intensity varies differently than the cos^2 function. That doesn't happen.

I keep trying to point out to you WHY your idea makes no sense and yet you persist. It is experimentally, demonstrably WRONG and 200 years of experiments (since Malus) show the same thing. There is NO SUCH EFFECT, and you may as well admit it and move on to the next phase of your understanding.

DrChinese said:
This is ridiculous! Are you not aware that this would be obvious with even the most simple of experiments? All you have to do is rotate a polarized source across 90 degrees and you would notice that the intensity varies differently than the cos^2 function. That doesn't happen.

I keep trying to point out to you WHY your idea makes no sense and yet you persist. It is experimentally, demonstrably WRONG and 200 years of experiments (since Malus) show the same thing. There is NO SUCH EFFECT, and you may as well admit it and move on to the next phase of your understanding.

This appears to be a different experiment from the one you cited me before. I would be happy to respond if you would give more details to the experiment you have in mind, perhaps in a new post as it is a new topic (and perhaps a link so our wording can be consistent).

edguy99 said:
This appears to be a different experiment from the one you cited me before. I would be happy to respond if you would give more details to the experiment you have in mind, perhaps in a new post as it is a new topic (and perhaps a link so our wording can be consistent).

Can you imagine taking a polarized light source and running it through a polarizer? If you measure the intensity of the light as you rotate it across 90 degrees, you obtain Malus' Law. You can verify this yourself for $669 if you don't accept the hundreds of thousands of experiments already performed indicating the same result over the past 200 years:

http://store.pasco.com/pascostore/showdetl.cfm?&DID=9&Product_ID=53874&Detail=1

There is NO such thing as the effect you describe where light "disappears" at certain settings OTHER THAN following Malus' cos^2 rule. And guess what? Entangled photons go through a polarizer the same as unentangled photons. Same exact setup. And by the way, it works the same for both polarization entangled photons and non-polarization entangled photons. Same result every time.

DrChinese said:
Can you imagine taking a polarized light source and running it through a polarizer? If you measure the intensity of the light as you rotate it across 90 degrees, you obtain Malus' Law. You can verify this yourself for $669 if you don't accept the hundreds of thousands of experiments already performed indicating the same result over the past 200 years:

http://store.pasco.com/pascostore/showdetl.cfm?&DID=9&Product_ID=53874&Detail=1

There is NO such thing as the effect you describe where light "disappears" at certain settings OTHER THAN following Malus' cos^2 rule. And guess what? Entangled photons go through a polarizer the same as unentangled photons. Same exact setup. And by the way, it works the same for both polarization entangled photons and non-polarization entangled photons. Same result every time.

Thank you for the link. The reason this is a different experiment is that in this case, you are passing the same photon through a compination of first one, then a second polarizer. When doing the calculations, do you assume a hn50 polarizer is used? I would prefer to discuss a link where it is a little clearer what calculations are being used.

edguy99 said:
Thank you for the link. The reason this is a different experiment is that in this case, you are passing the same photon through a compination of first one, then a second polarizer. When doing the calculations, do you assume a hn50 polarizer is used? I would prefer to discuss a link where it is a little clearer what calculations are being used.

Arrgh. It is an experiment. No assumptions are necessary. You record the results and plot them.

This may shock you, but the same thing holds when you remove one of the polarizers; as lasers, being coherent, are (mostly) polarized in a single orientation. Again, you can try this for $669.

And just to remind everyone reading of the relevance to Bell's Theorem: edguy99's "model" is intended to "explain" Bell test results showing incompatibility with local realism. And the important feature of ANY such model is that it will NOT match the predictions of QM. One of which is Malus. Note that if edguy99 was correct, Malus would be wrong.

DrChinese said:
Arrgh. It is an experiment. No assumptions are necessary. You record the results and plot them.

This may shock you, but the same thing holds when you remove one of the polarizers; as lasers, being coherent, are (mostly) polarized in a single orientation. Again, you can try this for $669.

And just to remind everyone reading of the relevance to Bell's Theorem: edguy99's "model" is intended to "explain" Bell test results showing incompatibility with local realism. And the important feature of ANY such model is that it will NOT match the predictions of QM. One of which is Malus. Note that if edguy99 was correct, Malus would be wrong.

Sorry, you lost me. You are correct, I could buy the equipment, do the experiment, post the results of the experiment and then discuss them, but if there are posted results of this experiment, I think it would be easier.

Also, I have not suggested Malus is wrong?

edguy99 said:
Its not the issure of the crystal but the detection. The example cited http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0205/0205171v1.pdf" shows a very clear diagram setup at Figure 1. The polarizers in question are labeled PA Polarizer A and PB Polarizer B.

As I understand the meaning of HN50 is you start with linear polarized light coming at you that could be polarized in any direction. The HN50 designation means that 1/2 the light will get through. If you imagine a clock, then "up" would be any photon polarized between 9 through noon to 3 oclock. "down" would be any photon polarized between 3 through 6 to 9 oclock. The fact that no HN50 polarizers exist, suggests that a HN32 polarizer may well only be detecting "up" light in the angles 10 oclock to 2 oclock and the other polarizer is detecting from 4 oclock to 8 oclock.

The http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0205/0205171v1.pdf" shows an experimental setup which is not at all like the one that I have been made to understand. In the experiment that was described to me, the light went straight in opposite directions from the source, into the bi-refringent crystal, and then into the photo-multiplier.

The diagram in the article referenced, however, shows the beam going through a Collimating Lens, Blue Filter, Beam Aperture, A LASER POLARIZER, a QUARTZ PLATE, and a MIRROR before it goes through the crystal.

I was made to think that it was completely unpolarized light which went through the birefringent crystal. I would think that any of these extra items, especially the polarizer, the quartz plate, and the mirror ought to be taken into account.

I was also made to think that the entangled photons came out of the source in opposite directions. But the diagram seems to only split the photons after they have been painstakingly polarized.

Is this just the wrong diagram?

edguy99 said:
Sorry, you lost me. You are correct, I could buy the equipment, do the experiment, post the results of the experiment and then discuss them, but if there are posted results of this experiment, I think it would be easier.

Also, I have not suggested Malus is wrong?

Yes, you ARE saying that Malus is wrong. Remember all that stuff you posted about "if it is between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock..." and all the variations on that? Well, Malus doesn't have anything like that. It is ONLY about cos^2 when it comes to the relative angle setting.

And I keep telling you that this has been checked literally hundreds of thousands of times in the past 200 years. With entangled photons, this has probably "only" been tested thousands of times. And there is NO SUCH EFFECT AS YOU SUGGEST.

It is definitely possible to construct a local realistic model. But it will not agree with QM (per Bell). And it will not match experiment. So I think you should re-examine your line of reasoning.

DrChinese said:
Yes, you ARE saying that Malus is wrong. Remember all that stuff you posted about "if it is between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock..." and all the variations on that? Well, Malus doesn't have anything like that. It is ONLY about cos^2 when it comes to the relative angle setting.

And I keep telling you that this has been checked literally hundreds of thousands of times in the past 200 years. With entangled photons, this has probably "only" been tested thousands of times. And there is NO SUCH EFFECT AS YOU SUGGEST.

It is definitely possible to construct a local realistic model. But it will not agree with QM (per Bell). And it will not match experiment. So I think you should re-examine your line of reasoning.

I do not agree. As I read it, the Bell reasoning assumes at least two important things:

1/ In the experiment all of the particles must be accounted for.
2/ If a particle is measured a second time, you cannot assume that the first measurement had any affect on the particle.

In my opinion: Use of anything other then a HN50 filter does not account for all of the particles and a photon in a polarizer appears to have an affect on the particle as it affects whether or not it gets through the next polarizer.

I am happy to talk about a particle that is subjected to 2 polarizers, but I would want a real example to work from.

JDoolin said:
The http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0205/0205171v1.pdf" shows an experimental setup which is not at all like the one that I have been made to understand. In the experiment that was described to me, the light went straight in opposite directions from the source, into the bi-refringent crystal, and then into the photo-multiplier.

The diagram in the article referenced, however, shows the beam going through a Collimating Lens, Blue Filter, Beam Aperture, A LASER POLARIZER, a QUARTZ PLATE, and a MIRROR before it goes through the crystal.

I was made to think that it was completely unpolarized light which went through the birefringent crystal. I would think that any of these extra items, especially the polarizer, the quartz plate, and the mirror ought to be taken into account.

I was also made to think that the entangled photons came out of the source in opposite directions. But the diagram seems to only split the photons after they have been painstakingly polarized.

No, this is a great source for you. You should definitely analyze the setup so you understand what is happening. I can explain any particular elements in a general manner.

Normally, the Alice and Bob output beams from a Type I PDC setup come out only slightly off angle from each other (each 4-5 degrees from center). To send them in opposite directions requires additional apparatus such as fiber or a mirror. (Most diagrams show them going in opposite directions just for clarity of concept, and this is not literal.)

The input source is polarized on the diagonal relative to the axes of the Type I BBo crystals which produce the entangled pairs. If you think about it a bit, there are only a few things to take into account really. You can have a brighter beam or dimmer beam. You can have it oriented so it goes through one crystal more than the other, or as close to equal as possible (this is controlled by how close to the diagonal you are at). To produce polarization entanglement, you cannot know whether a pair emerged from one crystal or the other - you must not be able to tell.

Finally, keep in mind that most of the source passes straight through the PDC apparatus and is NOT split. That would be 99.9999% of the light. So that needs to be filtered out so that it is not accidentally detected.

edguy99 said:
I do not agree. As I read it, the Bell reasoning assumes at least two important things:

1/ In the experiment all of the particles must be accounted for.
2/ If a particle is measured a second time, you cannot assume that the first measurement had any affect on the particle.

In my opinion: Use of anything other then a HN50 filter does not account for all of the particles and a photon in a polarizer appears to have an affect on the particle as it affects whether or not it gets through the next polarizer.

If you read Bell, you will find none of this is mentioned anywhere. Bell is a mathematical proof.

Bell tests measure a prediction required by a Bell local realistic model which matches QM. There are no candidate LR models in existence that satisfy this. The De Raedt et al simulation models, for example, do NOT match the predictions of LR (including Malus).

And finally: Most Bell tests use polarizing beam splitters instead of polarizers (as I keep pointing out). You obviously do not understand the significance of this point. But, among other things, these have very high transmission rates and it is clear this has little bearing on the results. It does lead to some issues in terms of the so-called "fair sampling loophole" however that has been closed already via experiment.

DrChinese said:
If you read Bell, you will find none of this is mentioned anywhere. Bell is a mathematical proof.

Bell tests measure a prediction required by a Bell local realistic model which matches QM. There are no candidate LR models in existence that satisfy this. The De Raedt et al simulation models, for example, do NOT match the predictions of LR (including Malus).

And finally: Most Bell tests use polarizing beam splitters instead of polarizers (as I keep pointing out). You obviously do not understand the significance of this point. But, among other things, these have very high transmission rates and it is clear this has little bearing on the results. It does lead to some issues in terms of the so-called "fair sampling loophole" however that has been closed already via experiment.

In the experiment you quoted me, the PA and PB polarizers, if they are not HN50, are losing more then 10% of the photons after they have been through the beam splitter. Unless you are claiming that 100% of the photons are getting through these filters (I will reassess my position if true)? All I am pointing out is if one detector is not seeing the photon, the other detector will not see it either as they are entangled - ie. the same polarization.

edguy99 said:

If that is true, then how is it possible that two crossed polarizers can block 100% of the light?

In other words, just to be clear: The Dehlinger experiment happens to use polarizers instead of PBS's. This has no bearing on the results, but I mention because it may be a source of confusion. The question at hand is whether polarizers somehow filter out the very photons that would "ruin" the results. Well, that would ultimately require collusion between the settings on both sides as otherwise there IS NO effect from the polarizer that deviates from Malus. Nor from a PBS.

But we already know that the settings can be changed mid flight (Aspect, 1981) and that does not change things. So we would then be witnessing a non-local effect.

JDoolin said:

That's a nice paper which describes a practical modern version of the experiment. The pairs of entangled photons are not created until the laser photons hit the two-layered downconversion crystal assembly, so most of the bits you mention are actually parts of the "power supply" as far as the actual experiment is concerned.

The observation devices in this case are just polarizers (single-channel) so only one of the two states will actually be detected for a given setting, but relative rates can be obtained by rotating the polarizers.

edguy99 said:
In the experiment you quoted me, the PA and PB polarizers, if they are not HN50, are losing more then 10% of the photons after they have been through the beam splitter. Unless you are claiming that 100% of the photons are getting through these filters (I will reassess my position if true)? All I am pointing out is if one detector is not seeing the photon, the other detector will not see it either as they are entangled - ie. the same polarization.

Yes, I quite agree that there are some losses. But your premise is faulty for a number of reasons.

First: unless the losses are severely biased, this will have no effect on the results at all.

Second: if they were so biased, all you would need to do is rotate the 2 polarizers at various angles until you quantified that. Remember, what happens at Alice is independent of what happens at Bob if locality holds!

Third: the output of one Type 1 PDC crystal is a pair of entangled photons, but they are NOT polarization entangled! So it is quite easy to test the idea that there is something in the apparatus that is somehow changing things. And it turns out that the non-polarization entangled photons going through the apparatus do NOT follow the cos^2 relationship for coincidences. Instead, they follow the Product State statistics which is the .25+(cos^2/2) formula.

Finally: if some pairs are not seen at either spot because they contain a special hidden variable which makes them both ALWAYS be absorbed... how does that change anything for our counts? It is neither a match or a non-match.

In other words: all we care about is the intensity of the matched pairs as a function of relative angle. Further, we would want that function to hold across arbitrary rotations of the polarizers. That result violates the relationships of a local realistic model, in which what happens at one polarizer is causally independent of the other.

Jonathan Scott said:
The observation devices in this case are just polarizers (single-channel) so only one of the two states will actually be detected for a given setting, but relative rates can be obtained by rotating the polarizers.

Yes, you are correct and I may have inadvertently confused edguy on this point. I added a post to explain further about this.

And you are quite right that the crystals should be seen as a source. Yet, for the local realist, even the existence of Type I entanglement should be a bit of a paradox. How can something be partially entangled? How does *adding* a crystal create polarization entanglement? After all, the local realist says the split occurred in one crystal or the other! QM says it splits in both.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0205/0205171v1.pdf

~One thing I want to question is whether this is a typo: On page 3, in the left column, it says: "With the irises fully open and polarizers both set to vertical, more than 300 counts per second were observed." However, on page 4, there is a figure showing that the observation rate never exceeded 350 per 10 seconds, which would be about 30 per second.

JDoolin said:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0205/0205171v1.pdf

~One thing I want to question is whether this is a typo: On page 3, in the left column, it says: "With the irises fully open and polarizers both set to vertical, more than 300 counts per second were observed." However, on page 4, there is a figure showing that the observation rate never exceeded 350 per 10 seconds, which would be about 30 per second.

Looks like that would be the case as I read it too.

miosim said:
It would be a valid point if Bell reproduces Einstein’s concept without any deviations. Instead Bell’s model lacks the major requirement for Einstein’s argument; do not contradict with the predicted result of QM. Bell doesn’t need Einstein to be around to adhere with this basic requirement.
JesseM said:
But Einstein didn't know his concept of a local and objective model conflicted with QM in the first place! He thought it could be possible to come up with such a model that does not contradict QM, but he was wrong! Do you really not get this?
Einstein didn’t know that his concept could be transformed into a circus.

According to EPR argument the two correlated particles are represented by the two different and independent wave functions. When the first wave function collapses it reviled one complemented parameter (+spin) that gaves us a knowledge about another complemented parameter (-spin) of the second wave function. Because this wave functions has no description of this parameter the wave function and QM accordingly is incomplete.

Now let see the Bell’s ‘reasonable’ reproduction of this EPR model:

“…Let us illustrate the possibility of what Einstein had in mind in the context of the particular quantum mechanical predictions already cited for the EPRB gedanken experiment. These predictions make it hard to believe in the completeness of quantum formalism…”
Then Bell ‘mumbles’ the following:
“…But of course outside that formalism they make no difficulty whatever for the notion of local causality. To show this explicitly we exhibit a trivial ad hoc space-time picture of what might go on. It is a modification of the naive classical picture already described. Certainly something must be modified in that, to reproduce the quantum phenomena. Previously, we implicitly assumed for the net force in the direction of the field gradient (which we always take to be in the same direction as the field) a form: F cos Q ….”

This is it. These are all efforts to recreate the EPR model in spirit of Einstein. Based on these ‘exhaustive’ efforts, Bell proclaimed that it isn’t possible to build such a model.
Is this hilarious? Is this a circus?

Bell (and his supporters) just forgot that the EPR particles are represented by the two independent wave functions and therefore their cos^2 behavior are identical to Bell’s QM model.

Secondly, if Bell decided to model EPR particles as classical ones, he must at least include interactions of these particles with polarizers (QM formalism has this interactions builtin) as follows: the polarizers, like optical ‘funnel’, modifies polarization of both photons in the direction of higher correlation and this way eliminating inequality with the QM prediction.

It seems to me that the Bell’s theorem is dead.

Last edited:
miosim said:
Einstein didn’t know that his concept could be transformed into a circus.

According to EPR argument the two correlated particles are represented by the two different and independent wave functions. When the first wave function collapses it reviled one complemented parameter (+spin) that gaves us a knowledge about another complemented parameter (-spin) of the second wave function. Because this wave functions has no description of this parameter the wave function and QM accordingly is incomplete.

Now let see the Bell’s ‘reasonable’ reproduction of this EPR model:

“…Let us illustrate the possibility of what Einstein had in mind in the context of the particular quantum mechanical predictions already cited for the EPRB gedanken experiment. These predictions make it hard to believe in the completeness of quantum formalism…”
Then Bell ‘mumbles’ the following:
“…But of course outside that formalism they make no difficulty whatever for the notion of local causality. To show this explicitly we exhibit a trivial ad hoc space-time picture of what might go on. It is a modification of the naive classical picture already described. Certainly something must be modified in that, to reproduce the quantum phenomena. Previously, we implicitly assumed for the net force in the direction of the field gradient (which we always take to be in the same direction as the field) a form: F cos Q ….”

This is it. These are all efforts to recreate the EPR model in spirit of Einstein.
Another totally-confident-yet-totally-ignorant argument from miosim (there is a psychological explanation for this sort of thing). The second "mumbled" statement has nothing to do with how Bell ultimately defines "local causality", it's just meant as a "trivial" and "ad hoc" model that he starts out with as an example, then shows it doesn't work and abandons it. His actual proof of the theorem that local causality is incompatible with QM has nothing whatsoever to do with that model. But I [post=3257023]already told you this before[/post]:
JesseM said:
Yes, he starts by assuming a specific "naive classical model" with a modified force law given by equation (2), but if you read further in the paper he later makes the argument more general and considers what would have to be true in all possible models respecting the "local causality" (same as local realism) he mentions above. Note he immediately shows on p. C2-49 that this naive model fails to match up with QM "at intermediate angles", and then goes on to say:

"Of course this trivial model was just the first one we thought of, and it worked up to a point. Could we not be a little more clever, and device a model which reproduces the quantum formulae completely? No. It cannot be done, so long as action at a distance is excluded."

So he's saying all locally causal models which exclude action-at-a-distance will fail to match up with QM, not just the "trivial model" he brought up briefly on p. c2-48. To explain why this is true, he first starts with the analogy of Bertlmann's socks, which is intended to illustrate how one can derive an inequality based on the idea that if pairs of entangled particles (or pairs of socks) always given identical results when subjected to the same test, that must be because each member of the pair had a set of properties (assigned to them by the source when they were created at a common location) that gave them the same set of predetermined results for each possible test. In a "locally causal" universe this is the only way to explain how you always see perfect correlations whenever experimenters choose the same test, as he explains on c2-52:

"Let us summarize once again the logic that leads to the impasse. The EPRB correlations are such that the result of the experiment on one side immediately foretells that on the other, whenever the analyzers happen to be parallel. If we do not accept the intervention on one side as a causal influence on the other, we seem obliged to admit that the results on both sides are determined in advance anyway, independently of the intervention on the other side, by signals from the source and by the local magnet set."
miosim said:
Bell (and his supporters) just forgets that the EPR particles are represented by the two independent wave functions and therefore their cos^2 behavior are identical to Bell’s QM model.
They're not represented by "two independent wave functions" in QM, they're represented by a single wavefunction representing the entangled two-particle system. Bell is proving that no local theory can reproduce the QM prediction which is based on this single (nonlocal) wavefunction.
miosim said:
Secondly, if Bell decided to model EPR particles as classical ones, he must at least include interactions of these particles with polarizers (QM formalism has this interactions builtin) as follows: the polarizers, like optical ‘funnel’, modifies polarization of both photons in the direction of higher correlation and this way eliminating inequality with the QM prediction.
Bell's definition of local causality makes no specific assumptions about how the particles interact with the polarizers, but the definition is broad enough to include the possibility that the polarizers would modify polarization in a local way. Again, Bell's definition is exactly equivalent to my 1) and 2) (again see the links I gave at the end of [post=3278882]this post[/post]), and my two assumptions certainly don't rule out the possibility that the particles are modified by their interactions with the polarizers. If you want to engage Bell's argument, you need to try to think about these basic assumptions, not some strawman based on your lack of reading comprehension. You said you found my 1) and 2) too "technical", but I'd be happy to elaborate on any sentences or terms you found confusing if you want to make an effort to understand them, rather than just taking the intellectually lazy route of saying "too hard!" and going back to repeating the same old ignorant arguments and strawman, ignoring all refutations like a good http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/ferouscranus.htm .

SpectraCat said:
If that is true, then how is it possible that two crossed polarizers can block 100% of the light?

You are correct. The example was built to show the 85/15 split at those angles are possible in a classical model and is easier to calculate. Consider if the edges are rounded out a bit:

A particle modeled with the properties of a bloch sphere as shown http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloch_sphere" . This is represented below by the density of the red area on Bob and Alice measuring devices overlaid with green values. The density of red represents the probability of measuring the photon if it is presented at that angle and is a property of the photon (cos^2).

This picture shows that Bob and Alice measuring a sequence of "up" paricles. It shows that for particles that reach the detector, Bob and Alice always measure the same no matter the orientation of their measuring devices, as long as they both measure at the same angle:
clockcone_p1.jpg

If Bob tilts his measuring device by 45 degrees, he notices that the number of matching particles drops to 50%. If Bob tilts his device by 90 degrees, he does not see any matching particles of course since he doesn't see any particles. Experimental results shown http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0205/0205171v1.pdf" figure 3:
clockcone_p2.jpg

Finally if Bob tilts his device 22.5 or 67.5 degrees he gets the 85% and 15% predicted by QM. Note these are the kind of results you would expect for http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0205/0205171v1.pdf" , table 1:
clockcone_p3.jpg

miosim said:
Bell (and his supporters) just forgot that the EPR particles are represented by the two independent wave functions and therefore their cos^2 behavior are identical to Bell’s QM model.

It seems to me that the Bell’s theorem is dead.

You seem to be missing the point by increasing amounts on each attempt!

The cos^2 behaviour of two independent particles leads to only half of the correlation values predicted by QM and confirmed by experiment.

Bell's theorem is NOT based on ANY classical model; such models are only used as examples to illustrate the theory.

Bell's theorem simply points out that a triangle inequality applies to differences between sets of results in any local realistic theory, but QM violates that inequality.

edguy99 said:
You are correct. The example was built to show the 85/15 split at those angles are possible in a classical model and is easier to calculate. Consider if the edges are rounded out a bit:

A particle modeled with the properties of a bloch sphere as shown http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloch_sphere" . This is represented below by the density of the red area on Bob and Alice measuring devices overlaid with green values. The density of red represents the probability of measuring the photon if it is presented at that angle and is a property of the photon (cos^2).

This picture shows that Bob and Alice measuring a sequence of "up" paricles. It shows that for particles that reach the detector, Bob and Alice always measure the same no matter the orientation of their measuring devices, as long as they both measure at the same angle:If Bob tilts his measuring device by 45 degrees, he notices that the number of matching particles drops to 50%. If Bob tilts his device by 90 degrees, he does not see any matching particles of course since he doesn't see any particles. Experimental results shown http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0205/0205171v1.pdf" figure 3:Finally if Bob tilts his device 22.5 or 67.5 degrees he gets the 85% and 15% predicted by QM. Note these are the kind of results you would expect for http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0205/0205171v1.pdf" , table 1:

Ok .. I am a little baffled .. that seems like just the basic Malus' law description for correlations between polarization measurements of unentangled photon pairs. What does any of that have to do with correlations between measurements on polarization-entangled photon pairs, which is what was studied in the experiment you cited?

edguy99 said:

You know: suppose a cat is a flying dog.

FlyingDog.jpg

Virtually everything you have here is either wrong or makes no sense at all. Entangled particles of known spin (yes, these exist) do NOT behave statistically as you describe in your pictures. And the descriptions you provide don't demonstrate realism.

(Photons are spin 1, by the way.)