Can Heat Be Used to Charge a Small Battery?

In summary, this individual was exploring the possibility of making a small device that could be powered by a heat source to recharge a small battery. They did not know how a battery charger worked, but thought it might be possible to do with a voltage multiplier and regulator.
mishima
Hi, I don't know so much about electronics but...

I know when you have a junction of two metals that is heated you can get a small voltage. Like wrapping a piece of wire around a nail and holding a flame over it produces a very small but measurable voltage. This is a thermocouple as far as I know.

Now I've heard different metals can produce larger voltages. I was wondering if it might be possible then to make something that could use heat to charge a small battery. It would only have to be enough to light a single LED for 4-5 hours.

So, you could put the junction in some charcoal that is burning all day (like charcoal ovens in 3rd world countries), and then come nighttime have a battery that has enough charge to make a light for you.

I don't really know how a battery charger works, I'm just wondering if something like this is possible. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mishima said:
So, you could put the junction in some charcoal that is burning all day (like charcoal ovens in 3rd world countries), and then come nighttime have a battery that has enough charge to make a light for you.
No matter what metals you try, one junction doesn't produce anywhere near enough voltage from realistic temperatures to charge a battery. You need lots of junctions.

I have read of these devised around a large kerosene-burning lamp for Soviet peasants in isolated regions to listen to a small radio. Mostly this would be while indoors at night, with the lamp providing meagre room lighting and heating, cooking or water heating, together with the daily propaganda broadcast.

russ,
Yes I've been playing with a cheap thermoelectric generator like the one in that wiki pic. Its not really a steady voltage, and pretty small. But if my goal was just to charge a small button type battery for a single LED, could I do it with some kind of voltage multiplier and regulator?

Nascent,
That sounds great, I'll see if I can find anything more about that.

I can confirm that it is indeed possible to charge a battery using heat. This process is known as thermoelectric power generation and it involves converting temperature differences into electrical energy. The device used for this purpose is called a thermoelectric generator (TEG).

TEGs work based on the Seebeck effect, which is the principle that states when there is a temperature difference between two different materials, an electric potential is created. This potential can then be used to charge a battery.

To charge a battery using heat, a TEG is placed between a heat source (such as charcoal) and a heat sink (such as the surrounding air). The temperature difference between these two surfaces creates a voltage, which can be used to charge the battery. However, it is important to note that the amount of energy produced by a TEG is relatively small, so it may not be enough to fully charge a battery.

Additionally, the efficiency of TEGs is still being improved, so they may not be the most efficient way to charge a battery at this time. However, with further research and development, it is possible that TEGs could become a viable option for charging batteries using heat.

Related to Can Heat Be Used to Charge a Small Battery?

1. How does charging a battery using heat work?

Charging a battery using heat works by using a process called thermoelectric energy conversion. This involves converting heat energy into electrical energy through the use of thermoelectric materials. These materials have the ability to generate an electric current when there is a temperature difference between the two ends of the material.

2. What are the advantages of charging a battery with heat?

One of the main advantages of charging a battery using heat is that it is a renewable and sustainable source of energy. It also does not produce any harmful emissions, making it environmentally friendly. Additionally, heat can be easily obtained from various sources such as the sun or waste heat from industrial processes.

3. Can any type of battery be charged using heat?

No, not all types of batteries can be charged using heat. This method is most commonly used for thermoelectric generators and rechargeable batteries such as lithium-ion batteries. Traditional alkaline batteries cannot be charged using heat.

4. How efficient is charging a battery with heat?

The efficiency of charging a battery with heat depends on various factors such as the type of battery, the thermoelectric materials used, and the temperature difference. Generally, it is less efficient compared to traditional methods of charging, but advancements in technology are constantly improving its efficiency.

5. Are there any limitations to charging a battery with heat?

Yes, there are some limitations to charging a battery using heat. One of the main limitations is the cost of the materials used. Thermoelectric materials can be expensive, making this method less accessible for widespread use. Additionally, the efficiency of charging with heat is affected by the temperature difference, so it may not be suitable for all climates.