Can I Accurately Measure Bike Wheel Radius with a Rotating Sensor?

In summary, the conversation is about using a sensor attached to a bicycle wheel to measure the circle's radius accurately. However, there is a problem with plotting the x and y measurements due to rotational acceleration. The solution suggested is to subtract the constant centripetal acceleration or make assumptions about the motion to calculate the displacement. Another approach is to use the rotation frequency and the wheel's radius to calculate velocity and then integrate to find displacement.
Maria Redericki
I have attached a sensor measuring acceleration to a bicycle wheel. I was hoping to be able to trace out the circle with accurate measurements for the radius of the bike wheel by integrating my data however I have realized that my sensor is of course undergoing centripetal acceleration however as the x and y-axis of the sensor is rotating with the device ( it's a dual axis device) then thre is a problem is I simply plot x measurements against y measurement. Is there a way around this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you want to measure? A way around what?

Your sensor will always see centripetal acceleration going in the same direction - let's call that direction "x" (towards the center of the bike). For typical velocities of a bike, this will be by far the largest contribution to the measured accelerations. Smaller contributions come from gravity and accelerations of the bike.

Well I would like to trace out the displacement of sensor and so get a circle by intergrating acceleration twice. But As you say I have rotational acceleration etc is there anyway I can convert this to linear displacement so that I trace out the wheel circle of radius 30 cm? I am using a dual axis device

If you can neglect a change in the speed of the bike, centripetal acceleration should be constant and can be subtracted.
Otherwise, you'll have to add some assumptions about your motion I think.

Well I know that it would be subtracted out to then give tangential acceleration, however as the axis are moving with sensor on wheel of bike I am a bit confused how I can get an overall displacement. I am thinking that because these axis move with sensor how can I trace out an overall circle?

To be honest I think i have an idea but I am not sure if there is something I am not considering... This is my steps of my approach that I am thinking to take
a. remove centripedal acceleration
b. Using my frequency (it at some point 3 Hz) of bike turn I am able to work out how much angle it has traveled at any given time.
c. I know that axis travels with object so to the convert to overall axis I convert between my axis and inertial axis
9268836e8d0976bb16bbe0e785c4c6dd.png

f6bf779ae61390484a8acbe2e707f965.png

is this correct approach.

If you know the rotation frequency and the radius of the wheel, you are done - this gives you the velocity and integrating over that gives the displacement.
Based on the velocity you get, you can also check if the centripetal acceleration matches the expected value.

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it moves in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object moving in a curved path.

2. How is centripetal acceleration different from regular acceleration?

Regular acceleration is the change in velocity over time for an object moving in a straight line. Centripetal acceleration, on the other hand, is the change in direction of velocity for an object moving in a circular path. It is always perpendicular to the object's velocity and points towards the center of the circle.

3. What causes centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is caused by a force known as the centripetal force. This force is necessary to change the direction of an object's velocity and keep it moving in a circular path. It can be generated by various forces such as gravity, tension, or friction.

4. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circle. This formula follows from Newton's second law, F=ma, where F is the centripetal force and m is the mass of the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration can be observed in many everyday scenarios, such as a car turning a corner, a roller coaster moving around a loop, or a planet orbiting around the sun. It is also responsible for the feeling of being pushed outward when riding a spinning amusement park ride or making a sharp turn in a vehicle.