Question of latitude of Earth and measured field strength

In summary: I get something likeR^2 = W^2 - 2Wcosa(m w^2 r) + m^2 w^4 r^2when I did some research r is something like √[ A^2 cos^2(a) + B^2 sin^2(a) ], A should be larger than B in the sphere I drew, so can I sayr = √[ (A^2-B^2) cos^2(a) + 1 ], where A^2 - B^2 is positive and r's value depends on cos^2 (a) ?However, the second term and the last term seems to be wrong...In summary, the conversation discussed the effects of
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

My book said:
As the Earth is rotating about its axis, objects on the Earth's surface are performing circular motion. Therefore, objects on the Earth are accelerating and they need a centripetal force. The weight contributes a small portion to the centripetal force needed. Therefore, the measured g is smaller. The decrease in g is largest at the equator. At higher latitude, the radius of the circle is smaller while w is the same. Therefore, the centripetal force needed is smaller. The measured g is larger at higher latitude.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

However from my calculation, let the latitude be θ, W=weight, N=normal force, R=radius of the earth
Wcosθ - Ncosθ = mw^2 Rcosθ
W-N=mw^2(R)...(1)
Wsinθ=Nsinθ
W=N...(2)
Which is totally the same as considering an object on the equator.
Why am I wrong, please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:

Homework Statement

My book said:
As the Earth is rotating about its axis, objects on the Earth's surface are performing circular motion. Therefore, objects on the Earth are accelerating and they need a centripetal force. The weight contributes a small portion to the centripetal force needed. Therefore, the measured g is smaller. The decrease in g is largest at the equator. At higher latitude, the radius of the circle is smaller while w is the same. Therefore, the centripetal force needed is smaller. The measured g is larger at higher latitude.

Homework Equations

However from my calculation, let the latitude be θ, W=weight, N=normal force, R=radius of the earth
W-N=mw^2(R)...(1)
Wsinθ=Nsinθ
W=N...(2)
Which is totally the same as considering an object on the equator.
Why am I wrong, please help
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/5643868/
This recent thread might help.

Clara Chung said:
My book said:
As the Earth is rotating about its axis, objects on the Earth's surface are performing circular motion. Therefore, objects on the Earth are accelerating and they need a centripetal force. The weight contributes a small portion to the centripetal force needed.

That last sentence is badly worded in my opinion.

Gravity provides ALL of the centripetal force needed and a lot more. Your apparent weight is the force left over after some has been used to provide the needed centripetal force.

CWatters said:
That last sentence is badly worded in my opinion.

Gravity provides ALL of the centripetal force needed and a lot more. Your apparent weight is the force left over after some has been used to provide the needed centripetal force.
I know it. The book actually means that a small portion of weight is used to contribute all the centripetal force. It is because the centripetal force is the net force by W - N. However by my calculations, I don't think the apparent weight ( Normal force ) will decrease when the latitude change (except for the poles) .

Clara Chung said:
I know it. The book actually means that a small portion of weight is used to contribute all the centripetal force. It is because the centripetal force is the net force by W - N. However by my calculations, I don't think the apparent weight ( Normal force ) will decrease when the latitude change (except for the poles) .
W and N cannot be in the same straight line.

By the way, there is another reason N is greater at the poles than at the equator.

Likes Clara Chung
Clara Chung said:

You have applied a cos theta on every term. Why? Have you drawn a picture and figured out which forces point which way and how they vary with latitude?

Likes Clara Chung
haruspex said:
W and N cannot be in the same straight line.

By the way, there is another reason N is greater at the poles than at the equator.
Q.png

Clara Chung said:
Since the body is static, the centripetal force is the resultant of all applied forces. If W and N are in the same straight line, how can their resultant lie in a plane of latitude? Which of these forces might not be as you have shown it? (Hint: is the Earth really spherical?)

Q.png

haruspex said:
Umm... that would give a resultant pointing away from the Earth's axis.
Q.png

W cosa - Rcosb = mw^2 r...(1)
Wsina = Rsinb ...(2) where a<b
So by (2),
W/R = sin(b) / sin(a)
I don't know how to analyze it, does sinb/sina increases when a increases?

Clara Chung said:
W cosa - Rcosb = mw^2 r...(1)
Wsina = Rsinb ...(2) where a<b
So by (2),
W/R = sin(b) / sin(a)
I don't know how to analyze it, does sinb/sina increases when a increases?
I assume R is the same as N.
Can you derive a single equation that does not mention angle b?

Likes Clara Chung
haruspex said:
I assume R is the same as N.
Can you derive a single equation that does not mention angle b?
That is a bit long...
sinb = Wsina / R
cosb = root (1 - (Wsina / R)^2)
Put this into (1)
Wcosa - R root (1 - (Wsina / R)^2) =mw^2(r)
Wcosa - √[ R^2 - W^2 sin^2(a) ] = mw^2(r)
However R and r are still variables?..

Clara Chung said:
That is a bit long...
sinb = Wsina / R
cosb = root (1 - (Wsina / R)^2)
Put this into (1)
Wcosa - R root (1 - (Wsina / R)^2) =mw^2(r)
Wcosa - √[ R^2 - W^2 sin^2(a) ] = mw^2(r)
However R and r are still variables?..
OK, but R is what you are trying to find, so rearrange it as R=...
You can determine r.

It might be better to go back to using N instead of R so that you can use R for Earth's radius.

Likes Clara Chung
I get something like
R^2 = W^2 - 2Wcosa(m w^2 r) + m^2 w^4 r^2
when I did some research r is something like √[ A^2 cos^2(a) + B^2 sin^2(a) ], A should be larger than B in the sphere I drew, so can I say
r = √[ (A^2-B^2) cos^2(a) + 1 ], where A^2 - B^2 is positive and r's value depends on cos^2 (a) ?

However, the second term and the last term seems to be contradictory

Clara Chung said:
when I did some research r is something like
For the purposes of estimating r in this question, you can treat the Earth as spherical, so just Earth radius cos (latitude).
And yes, you can neglect the m2 term.

Likes Clara Chung
R^2 = W^2 - 2Wcosa(m w^2 r) + m^2 w^4 r^2
= W^2 - 2Wcosa(m w^2 R cosa) + m^2 w^4 R^2 cos^2 (a)
= W^2 + cos^2 (a) m w^2 R ( m w^2 R - 2W )
Therefore, R increases with latitude (a), thank you so much

What is the latitude of Earth?

The latitude of Earth is the angular distance of a location on Earth's surface north or south of the equator. It is measured in degrees, minutes, and seconds.

How is the latitude of Earth measured?

The latitude of Earth can be measured using various methods, including using a sextant, GPS satellites, and celestial navigation. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the location's distance from the equator and the angle of the sun or stars.

What is the measured field strength on Earth?

The measured field strength on Earth refers to the strength of the Earth's magnetic field at a specific location on its surface. It is typically measured in units of nanoTesla (nT).

How is the field strength on Earth measured?

The field strength on Earth can be measured using a magnetometer, which is a scientific instrument that detects and measures magnetic fields. It can also be measured indirectly by observing the deflection of a compass needle.

How does latitude affect the measured field strength on Earth?

The measured field strength on Earth varies depending on the latitude. This is because the Earth's magnetic field is not uniform, and its strength is influenced by the location's proximity to the magnetic poles. Generally, the closer a location is to the magnetic poles, the stronger the field strength will be.