Can I acquire the shaft position of my motor using my VFD

In summary, the project is to design a control system for a shock dynamometer using Labview and communicating to a VFD using Modbus. The main objective is to produce a plot of force vs displacement, where the force is data from a load cell and the displacement is the linear displacement of the shock being tested. The main question is whether the shaft position can be acquired from the motor using the VFD, but it seems that this may not be possible with a 3-phase induction motor. Suggestions for alternative methods, such as using an external encoder or proximity sensor, are being considered.
belae1ka
The project I am working on is to design the control system for a shock dynamometer. I am using Labview and communicating to the VFD using Modbus. The shock dyno will look a little something like this;
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.37.44 AM.png

So one of the main objectives in my project is to produce a plot as seen below;
graph.GIF

The force will be data coming from a load cell.

The Displacement will be the linear displacement of the shock being tested (the compression/rebound). To clarify what I mean, I have included the figure below;
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 12.35.54 PM.png
My question is: Do you think I would be able to acquire the shaft position from my motor using my VFD?

I called AutomationDirect (the manufacturer of the VFD) and asked them this question and they told me no considering the motor I am using (3 phase) is not a servo motor but I just wanted to double check with the forums to make sure. I tried reading the encoder feedback registers through Modbus and moving the shaft by hand to see if any values changed but no luck. I'm guessing I may have to implement some kind of proximity sensor in order to acquire the data for displacement. Due to the design of the dyno, I don't think I would be able to attach an external rotary encoder to the shaft of the motor. Any suggestions?

In case it helps, below is a picture of the nameplate on the motor and also the link and model of the VFD I am using.

motor nameplate.jpg

VFD: DURApulse GS3-21P0 AC Drive
VFD Manual: https://cdn.automationdirect.com/sta.../gs3m/gs3m.pdf

Thank you.

-Kevin

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the main concern the shaft position or the position of the slide? There are many encoders that will report linear position.

This looks like an induction motor, so there is no telling where the rotor position is at any particular instant.

The answer you have been told from mikeholt is correct as well as in post #3 of this thread.

1. What is a VFD and how does it work?

A VFD, or Variable Frequency Drive, is an electronic device that controls the speed and torque of an electric motor. It works by adjusting the frequency and voltage of the power supplied to the motor, thereby changing its speed and direction.

2. Can a VFD accurately determine the shaft position of a motor?

Yes, a VFD can accurately determine the shaft position of a motor by using sensors such as encoders or tachometers. These sensors provide feedback to the VFD, allowing it to control the motor's speed and position.

3. Is it necessary to use a VFD to acquire the shaft position of a motor?

No, it is not necessary to use a VFD to acquire the shaft position of a motor. There are other methods such as using a rotary encoder or a hall effect sensor that can also accurately determine the motor's position.

4. What are the benefits of using a VFD to acquire the shaft position of a motor?

Using a VFD to acquire the shaft position of a motor offers several benefits, including precise control over the motor's speed and position, energy savings, and reduced wear and tear on the motor. It also allows for smoother starting and stopping of the motor.

5. Are there any limitations to using a VFD to acquire the shaft position of a motor?

While a VFD is a reliable and accurate method for determining the shaft position of a motor, there are some limitations to consider. These include the cost of the VFD and associated sensors, as well as the complexity of programming and setting up the system. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and vibration can affect the accuracy of the shaft position readings.