Can I Add Sine and Cosine Functions with a Non-Factorable Scalar?

In summary, the person is asking for help with adding sine and cosine functions with a scalar in front that cannot be factored out. The solution involves expanding out the cosine function, grouping like terms, and using a trig identity to simplify the expression.
mutzy188

Homework Statement

Hi guys,

I don't know if this should go here because it is an excerpt from a higher level problem. The part where I get stuck is when I try to add the cosine functions.

Is there any way to add sine and cosine functions that have a scalar in front that cannot be factored out? For example:

5*cos(wt) + 6*cos(wt + pi/4)

If there weren't any numbers in front of the functions then I could use the trig identity. What can I do with the numbers there? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
5cos(wt) + 6*cos(wt + π/4)

expand out cos(wt+π/4) then group the like terms. Then you can either put in the form Rcos(wt±A) or Rsin(wt±A)

cos(A+ B)= cops(A)cos(B)- sin(A)sin(B).

Related to Can I Add Sine and Cosine Functions with a Non-Factorable Scalar?

What is a cosine function?

A cosine function is a mathematical function that represents the ratio between the adjacent side of a right triangle and its hypotenuse. It is commonly used in trigonometry and has a period of 2π.

How do you add cosine functions?

To add two cosine functions, you simply add their coefficients and keep the same period. For example, if you have f(x) = 3cos(x) and g(x) = 4cos(x), their sum would be h(x) = 7cos(x).

What is the difference between adding and multiplying cosine functions?

When adding cosine functions, you are combining two functions to create a new one with a larger amplitude. However, when multiplying cosine functions, you are creating new frequencies and changing the shape of the graph.

Can you add cosine functions with different periods?

No, you cannot add cosine functions with different periods. This would result in a non-periodic function, which does not have a repeating pattern. The periods of the cosine functions being added must be the same for the sum to also have a period.

How is the addition of cosine functions used in real-life applications?

The addition of cosine functions is commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to model periodic phenomena such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and vibrations. It can also be used in music to create complex sound waves and in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals.