Odd and even extension of sine function

In summary, the conversation discusses Fourier series and their applications to sine and cosine functions. The topic of odd and even periodic extensions is brought up, specifically in regards to drawing the extensions for a sine function defined over a period of 2 pi. The question of whether the odd extension of an odd function simply looks like the original function carried on as normal is raised. The individual has also attached an image of their thoughts on the shape of the even extension, but is unsure how to continue the plot to find its final period. They are open to advice on where they may have gone wrong.
penroseandpaper
Homework Statement
For a sine function, draw an odd and even extension to six pi (+-) when it is initially defined over an interval of two pi.
Relevant Equations
Sine curve
Hi everyone,

We've been looking at Fourier series and related topics in online class, touching upon odd and even periodic extensions. However, we haven't looked at what this translates to for sine and cosine functions - only sawtooth and line examples. So, I'm trying to do my own investigation.

If we have a sine function defined over a period of 2 pi (such that it sits half above the X axis and half below - starting at the origin), how do we draw its odd and even extension to +-6 pi?

As it's an odd function itself, does its odd extension simply look like the sine curve carried on as normal?

And for the even extension, I did reflect it in the y axis, but can't see how to carry the plot on to find its final period as the shape at the y-axis doesn't seem to repeat?

I've attached an image of my thoughts on its shape below, but understand I haven't drawn them to the right extension of +- six pi - thought that would take too much space. Any advice is greatly appreciated on where I've gone astray.

Penn :)

IMG_20210103_175136.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

1. What is the definition of odd and even extension of sine function?

The odd and even extension of sine function refers to the process of extending the sine function to the entire real number line by assigning values to negative inputs based on the properties of odd and even functions. An odd function is symmetric about the origin, while an even function is symmetric about the y-axis.

2. What is the purpose of odd and even extension of sine function?

The purpose of odd and even extension of sine function is to make the function defined for all real numbers, as the original sine function is only defined for inputs between 0 and 2π. This extension allows for the use of sine function in a wider range of applications and calculations.

3. How is the odd and even extension of sine function calculated?

The odd and even extension of sine function can be calculated by using the properties of odd and even functions. For the odd extension, the negative input is multiplied by -1, and for the even extension, the negative input is multiplied by 1. The resulting value is then substituted into the original sine function.

4. What is the difference between odd and even extension of sine function?

The main difference between odd and even extension of sine function is the symmetry of the resulting extended function. The odd extension is symmetric about the origin, while the even extension is symmetric about the y-axis. This means that the odd extension has rotational symmetry, while the even extension has reflectional symmetry.

5. What are the applications of odd and even extension of sine function?

The odd and even extension of sine function has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in Fourier series and transforms, signal processing, and solving differential equations, among others. It is also used in the analysis of periodic functions and in approximating non-periodic functions.