Can I Apply to ETH Zurich Master in Physics without Math Courses?

In summary, the speaker has a GPA of 3.5/4.0, extensive research experience at Max Planck Institute and multiple publications including a first author paper in sci. They are interested in applying to ETH Zurich's master's program in Physics, but they lack math courses required by the program. The expert suggests considering taking these courses and applying anyway, as there may be other factors that could interest the admissions committee. They also recommend self-studying through Mathispower4u.com.
Nyang
I have a normal GPA grade(3.5/4.0), many research experience with professor at Max Planck Institute and many publication including PRB paper and 1st author paper(sci).

I would like to apply to ETH Zurich master in Physics course, but i did not take math courses except mathematical physics1. And they require analysis, linear algebra, numerical methods, computer science and complex analysis.

Do you think it is worth to try to apply?

or should i apply to another school??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should consider taking these courses in math as they are critical to really understanding physics and you should apply because you can’t win a contest if you don’t enter. You never know there may be something in your background that will interest them and they will offer you a spot. I know it’s very competitive but don’t be the roadblock to your own future.

Check Mathispower4u.com for videos on these math courses for self study.

Likes Nyang

1. Can I still apply to ETH Zurich Master in Physics if I haven't taken any math courses?

Yes, you can still apply to the Master in Physics program at ETH Zurich even if you haven't taken any math courses. However, having a strong foundation in math is highly recommended as it is an essential component of the physics curriculum. If you are lacking in math courses, it is recommended that you take additional math courses before applying to the program to increase your chances of being accepted.

2. Are there any specific math courses that I need to have taken in order to apply to the Master in Physics program at ETH Zurich?

There are no specific math courses that are required for admission to the Master in Physics program at ETH Zurich. However, it is recommended that applicants have a strong background in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations as these are fundamental math concepts that are used in physics courses.

3. Can I take math courses during the Master in Physics program at ETH Zurich if I haven't taken any before?

Yes, you can take math courses during the Master in Physics program at ETH Zurich if you haven't taken any before. The program offers several math courses that are specifically designed for physics students to help them develop a strong foundation in math. However, it is recommended that applicants have some prior knowledge of math before starting the program to ensure they can keep up with the coursework.

4. Will not having taken any math courses affect my chances of being accepted into the Master in Physics program at ETH Zurich?

Not having taken any math courses may have a slight impact on your chances of being accepted into the Master in Physics program at ETH Zurich. However, admissions decisions are based on a holistic review of an applicant's academic background, personal statement, letters of recommendation, and any relevant research experience. If you have a strong background in other subjects related to physics, it may help compensate for the lack of math courses.

5. Can I transfer credits from other math courses to fulfill the math requirements for the Master in Physics program at ETH Zurich?

Yes, you may be able to transfer credits from other math courses to fulfill the math requirements for the Master in Physics program at ETH Zurich. However, this will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and is subject to approval by the program's admissions committee. It is recommended that you contact the program for more information on transferring credits and how they may affect your application.