Can I be successful in physics even if I start late?

In summary, Amira is 21 years old and from Algeria. She has a big passion for physics and wishes to pursue a career in the field. However, she is not sure if she can be successful as a physicist, and is worried about the competition she will face when she starts her studies. She is hoping to receive a full scholarship to study in Canada or the USA.
Amira bn
Hello everybody, its my first post here so I'm not sure if it's the right place for my question.
First of all, let me tell you who I am, I'm a 21 years old girl from Algeria, English is the third language here so excuse me please for my bad English..
So my situation is a little complicated, I'm in second year in niversity I study geology yet it was never what I wanted to do. I have a big passion for physics and I wish I can start all my studies again from the first year in university just to study physics and make my dreams come true.
But the problem is I'm not really sure if i can be successful in physics, I will start physics at 23 years old because I have to finish 3 years in geology. What I mean by successful is that i want to be a professor of physics, and start researchers domain and be a good physicist.
Also I really want to get DhP full scholarship to study in USA or Canada, I'm not sure if they will accept me because I'll be a little old that time, maybe 28 or 29.
After all, please understand me, what I'm asking for is about the career in physics only, because nothing.. NOTHING will stop me from learning physics, its just what I love to do, more than everything.
I hope I explained my situation well, I'm learning English and improving myself in it in the current time.
I'll be glad, so thankful and open for all your opinions.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Amira!
It is never too late to chase your dreams. No one is ever sure if they will be successful in a challenge before they take it. If everyone took the attitude that they would not do something difficult and positive unless they were sure at the outset that they would succeed, very few good things would get done. (On the other hand, if people who wanted to do difficult bad things had that attitude it would be a good thing). My father was a geologist but after working as a geologist for 10 years he decided to become a physics teacher. He was very successful in making the change and was very happy as a physics teacher.

You do not say why you chose to study geology rather than physics. Is it because of the prospect for work is better for geologists?

AM

Likes Amira bn
You do not say why you chose to study geology rather than physics. Is it because of the prospect for work is better for geologists?Now I'm studying it because I need a job as fast as possible, that's why I have to continue 2 more years so I get a diploma in geology and work.
But the reason why I study geology rather than physics it has to do with my country education system, they accepted me to study geology but not physics.
Do you have any informations about scholarships? Do they give full scholarships for 28/29 years old people in your country?

Thank you for your answers.

You won't have any problems pursuing physics because of your age. The only issue that might come up is that the longer you wait, the more tricky it can be to balance the competition of academia with life.

Most PhDs in physics come with full support - at least in Canada. That's some combination of teaching assistanceship, research assistanceship, and stipends. For international students I believe the support is the same, but often the tuition is higher, depending on the school. It's not a lavish lifestyle, but people live off of graduate student money all the time.

Likes Amira bn
Andrew Mason said:
You do not say why you chose to study geology rather than physics. Is it because of the prospect for work is better for geologists?

AM

Sorry I forgot to quote your answer, I've answered your question yesterday :)

Choppy said:
You won't have any problems pursuing physics because of your age. The only issue that might come up is that the longer you wait, the more tricky it can be to balance the competition of academia with life.

Most PhDs in physics come with full support - at least in Canada. That's some combination of teaching assistanceship, research assistanceship, and stipends. For international students I believe the support is the same, but often the tuition is higher, depending on the school. It's not a lavish lifestyle, but people live off of graduate student money all the time.

Thanks for your answer,
Umm do you have an idea on how much hard it is to get full scholarship in Canada for international students of physics?

1. Can I still be successful in physics if I didn't start studying it until later in life?

Yes, it is never too late to start studying physics. Many successful physicists did not begin their studies until later in life, and age does not determine one's ability to grasp complex concepts.

2. Will starting late put me at a disadvantage compared to those who have been studying physics since a young age?

While those who have been studying physics since a young age may have more experience, starting late does not necessarily put you at a disadvantage. With dedication and hard work, you can catch up and even surpass those who started earlier.

3. How can I catch up on the knowledge and skills I may have missed by starting late?

There are many resources available, such as online courses, textbooks, and study groups, that can help you catch up on any knowledge or skills you may have missed. It is also important to seek guidance from a mentor or teacher who can provide personalized support.

4. Is there a specific age by which I should start studying physics to be successful?

No, there is no specific age to start studying physics. Success in physics depends on individual dedication, hard work, and passion for the subject, rather than age.

5. Are there any examples of successful physicists who started studying physics later in life?

Yes, there are many examples of successful physicists who started studying physics later in life. Some notable examples include Vera Rubin, who made groundbreaking discoveries in astronomy at age 28, and Peter Higgs, who proposed the Higgs boson theory at age 34.