Can I Build a Robot with Just a Blue Thing and a USB Cord?

In summary, the person wants to find the other two parts for a robot they built years ago but doesn't have the bottom left hand corner part. They also want to know if they can get the other two parts separately and what microcontroller they should buy.
George Young
TL;DR Summary
question about AVR Programmer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KM6ZA9I/?tag=pfamazon01-20

So I have the blue thing and the usb cord from a long time ago when I wanted to build a robot, but I don't have the bottom three (unless the bottom left hand corner one is the one attached to the blue thing). I still have the cd as well. I want to see if I can get the other two parts separately. Can I?

Also, I still don't understand how the programmer connects to the microcontroller. I have a tiny ATMega32 16AU microcontroller which seems too small for my breadboard. I have some old parts which may be microcontrollers or something else.

I may need to get a different microcontroller as well but I don't want to get another tiny one that won't work for my circuit. So I'm also asking if anyone has suggestions about what (AVR) microcontroller I should buy.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suspect you have just the “ATMega32 16AU” surface mount chip.
You really need an experimenters module that has everything on one PCB including the pins for the ports. Select one that is programmed through a USB port and costs less than $10. Then you have a simple solution that works quickly.

There are many simple very low cost solutions to choose from.
Will you program it in high level language or in assembly language?
Consider; https://www.adafruit.com/product/3500
Or Google; 'ATMega32 board'

I was going to use a higher level language but it depends on the chip I guess. My AVR programmer for example came with software to make the programming step easier but adafruit looks okay.

Thank you for the link. I want my circuit to work but it doesn't need to be expensive. The main thing I'm trying to do is to plan everything I can out in a lot of detail before I buy more parts.

Likes Tom.G

1. What is a microcontroller?

A microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit that is designed to control a specific function, such as running a specific program or controlling a device. It typically consists of a microprocessor, memory, and input/output peripherals.

2. What is microcontroller programming?

Microcontroller programming is the process of writing code to control the behavior of a microcontroller. This involves using a programming language, such as C or assembly, to write instructions that the microcontroller will execute.

3. How do I get started with microcontroller programming?

To get started with microcontroller programming, you will need a microcontroller development board, a computer, and a programming language. You can then download a development environment, such as Arduino IDE or MPLAB, and begin writing and uploading code to your microcontroller.

4. What are some common applications of microcontroller programming?

Microcontroller programming is used in a wide range of applications, including robotics, industrial automation, medical devices, and consumer electronics. It is also commonly used in embedded systems, where the microcontroller is built into a larger device or system.

5. What skills are needed for microcontroller programming?

To become proficient in microcontroller programming, you will need a strong understanding of programming fundamentals, as well as knowledge of electronics and circuit design. It is also important to have good problem-solving skills and attention to detail.