Can I Control Electrostatic Levitation with a Power Supply?

In summary, the conversation was about the concept of electrostatic levitation and how to create an experimental setup for it. The idea is to have two parallel plates with the same charge, where the bottom plate is fixed and the upper plate can float in the air due to the repulsive force between them. The person had experimented with using a power supply to create attraction between the plates, but now needs advice on how to use the power supply to apply the same charge on both plates and how to relate the voltage on the power supply to the amount of charge on each plate. They also mentioned wanting a way to adjust and control the process.
Arjang Sh
Hello

I need some advice about electrostatic levitation concept and am trying to make an experimental setup for that.

Consider two parallel plates with the same sign charge and the bottom plate is fixed in place. Therefore there will be a repulsive force which pushes the upper plate upwards and it can float in the air - even if it floats only a couple of micro-meters above the bottom plate.

I have experimented on the attraction concept by connecting the plates to a power supply (parallel plate capacitor analogy), but How can I use a power supply (or maybe 2) and and apply the same charge on plates? How can I relate the "voltage" adjusted on power supply to the "available charge" on each plate?

Thanks

Arjang

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Reminds me of an electroscope.

7198daf9-e4f6-40c1-8542-b95188baa848.gif

http://dev.physicslab.org/Document....Electrostatics_ElectrostaticsFundamentals.xml

Likes jim hardy
Thanks or your reply it's a really good start. But I'm trying to find someway which is 'adjustable' and 'controllable' ...

What is electrostatic levitation?

Electrostatic levitation is a technique used to suspend an object in air using an electric field. It involves placing an object between two electrodes and applying a high voltage to create an electric field that counteracts the force of gravity.

How does electrostatic levitation work?

Electrostatic levitation works by using the principle of electrostatic force, which is the force between two electrically charged objects. When a high voltage is applied to the electrodes, it creates an electric field that exerts a force on the charged object, causing it to levitate in the air.

What are the applications of electrostatic levitation?

Electrostatic levitation has various applications in scientific research, such as studying the properties of molten metals, creating high-temperature environments for materials testing, and simulating microgravity conditions for biological and physical experiments.

What are the advantages of using electrostatic levitation?

One of the main advantages of electrostatic levitation is that it allows for the levitation and manipulation of objects without any physical contact, which minimizes contamination and interference. It also enables precise control over the levitated object's temperature, pressure, and environment, making it ideal for studying materials under extreme conditions.

What are the challenges of using electrostatic levitation?

The main challenge of using electrostatic levitation is maintaining the stability of the levitated object. The slightest disturbance, such as air currents or electrical noise, can cause the object to lose its levitation and fall. This makes it essential to have precise control over the electric field and a stable experimental environment.