Detecting the Alignment of an Inf. Plane Capacitor: A Paradox?

In summary: Ok now it makes a bit more sense to me, the whole thing. But you, instead of using access to the inner capacitor, you use access to the outer capacitor which is also infinite. I mean, if we have difficulty to access the inner capacitor because it is infinite (and we going to have to use infinite connecting wires to the voltmeter e.t.c), we have the same difficulty accessing the outer capacitor.
qwereqe
Homework Statement
paradox about capacitor alignment
Relevant Equations
E=4πσ, V=-Ex
Assuming we have an infinite plane capacitor,where the upper plate is charged positively and the bottom layer is charged negatively. Now we know the field outside the capacitor is zero so we can't tell if the positive charge is on the upper plate or the lower plate.

But, if we place it inside another infinite plate capacitor, between its plates, and apply voltage between the external capacitor, we can't detect if it it is facing upward or downward.
pzeYB.png

Using superposition, the field in the middle equals 4π(σ±σ′)4π(σ±σ′), depending of the inner plates alignment, with respect to the voltage. If the voltage is positive, we can calculate it integrating the field and get in one case:

V=4π(σd+σ′x)V=4π(σd+σ′x)

and if the inner capacitor is rotated downward we get:

V=4π(σd−σ′x)V=4π(σd−σ′x)

Where σ,dσ,d is the external capacitor charge density and distance and σ′,x is the inner capacitor charge density and distance.

So, because σ′,d,x,V are constant, we can see that the charge density on the external capacitor will change if the potential difference of the inner capacitor is aligned toward the external capacitor or not, and the force on the outer plates will be different in each case' because of the different charge density.

So, my problem is, if the field outside the inner capacitor is zero, how we can still detect its alignment? Seems, like a paradox to me.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I understand your post deeply, and where exactly the paradox is, but if we connect a DC voltmeter to the inner capacitor, wouldn't that tell us which plate is positive and which negative?

Delta2 said:
I am not sure I understand your post deeply, and where exactly the paradox is, but if we connect a DC voltmeter to the inner capacitor, wouldn't that tell us which plate is positive and which negative?
The paradox is: without access to the inner capacitor, the field outside of it is zero, so we can't tel anything about it. But if we do as I proposed, we can say if it is pointing upward or downward.

qwereqe said:
The paradox is: without access to the inner capacitor, the field outside of it is zero, so we can't tel anything about it. But if we do as I proposed, we can say if it is pointing upward or downward.
Ok now it makes a bit more sense to me, the whole thing. But you, instead of using access to the inner capacitor, you use access to the outer capacitor which is also infinite. I mean, if we have difficulty to access the inner capacitor because it is infinite (and we going to have to use infinite connecting wires to the voltmeter e.t.c), we have the same difficulty accessing the outer capacitor.

1. How do you detect the alignment of an infinite plane capacitor?

The alignment of an infinite plane capacitor can be detected by measuring the electric field strength at different points around the capacitor. The electric field lines should be parallel to the plates of the capacitor when it is properly aligned.

2. What is the paradox surrounding the alignment of an infinite plane capacitor?

The paradox arises when attempting to align an infinite plane capacitor perfectly parallel to the electric field lines. This is because, in theory, the electric field lines should be parallel to the plates of the capacitor when it is properly aligned. However, in reality, it is impossible to achieve perfect alignment due to imperfections in the capacitor's construction and external factors such as temperature and humidity.

3. Can the alignment of an infinite plane capacitor be achieved?

While perfect alignment is impossible, the alignment of an infinite plane capacitor can be optimized by minimizing the distance between the plates and keeping the plates parallel to each other. This can be achieved through careful construction and calibration of the capacitor.

4. What is the significance of detecting the alignment of an infinite plane capacitor?

The alignment of an infinite plane capacitor is important in understanding its behavior and performance. It can affect the capacitance, electric field strength, and overall efficiency of the capacitor. Detecting and optimizing the alignment can improve the accuracy and reliability of the capacitor in various applications.

5. Are there any practical applications of detecting the alignment of an infinite plane capacitor?

Yes, detecting the alignment of an infinite plane capacitor is crucial in the design and use of various electronic devices such as capacitive sensors, transducers, and filters. It is also important in the study of electrostatics and can aid in the development of new technologies and materials.