Can I Convert My Guitar Amplifier into a Bluetooth Device?

In summary, you would need to connect the output of the Bluetooth speaker to the Aux input on the amplifier, level the connection, or use a level control.
TechTree
Hello, I have a guitar amplifier I'd like to convert into a bluetooth device. Using it's current power supply and allow it to receive a bluetooth input. I have a bluetooth speaker that I took the electrics from. The bluetooth speaker is digital, but when it outputs to the speaker it's an analogue signal. How could I connect the bluetooth speaker to the guitar amplifier? The guitar amplifier has an Auxiliary Port, could I just connect the output going to the speaker of the bluetooth deivce directly to the Auxiliary Port? Or would that not work.

Here are some photos of the guitar amplifier & bluetooth speaker:

20190303-160134.jpg

20190303-160125.jpg

Attachments

• 20190303-160134.jpg
    20190303-160134.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 557
  • 20190303-160125.jpg
    20190303-160125.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 548
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to look at the input specs of the Aux port. Some of types of input ports are designed to take a weak signal like microphone or guitar pickup. While the output to the speaker of the Bluetooth device has already been amplified

scottdave said:
You need to look at the input specs of the Aux port. Some of types of input ports are designed to take a weak signal like microphone or guitar pickup. While the output to the speaker of the Bluetooth device has already been amplified
Thanks for the reply! That makes sense, I'm pretty sure the input of the Aux port is designed to take weak signals as you mentioned. Would there be some way I could connect the bluetooth speaker output to the Aux input without it passing through the amplifier? What would happen if I passed the amplified signal directly into the Aux input, would it damage something or just wouldn't work?

Many thanks!

This is speculation. I'm guessing that any decently designed amp should take into account that somebody migjt accidentally plug the wrong wire into that jack. So there should be some protection to keep from blowing expensive parts.
Hopefully the worst thing that would happen is you get a distorted signal.
How you proceed depends on your risk tolerance. Try to do some research on the manufacturer's website, as to what type of signal it can handle,and what happens if that is exceeded.

Likes TechTree
scottdave said:
This is speculation. I'm guessing that any decently designed amp should take into account that somebody migjt accidentally plug the wrong wire into that jack.

not usually

TechTree said:
What would happen if I passed the amplified signal directly into the Aux input, would it damage something or just wouldn't work?

you would over-drive the AUX input

the easiest way is to put a level control in circuit between the BT audio out and the AUX input. That way you can set the levelso that the input isn't overloaded
here's a quick schematic I drew up

Audio Level Cntlr.gif

and an example of a 20k variable resistor (Pot)

potentiometer.jpg
Cheers
Dave

Attachments

• Audio Level Cntlr.gif
    Audio Level Cntlr.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 497
  • potentiometer.jpg
    potentiometer.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 511
Likes scottdave, jim hardy and TechTree
davenn said:
the easiest way is to put a level control in circuit between the BT audio out and the AUX input. That way you can set the level
Thanks Dave, worked perfectly :)

Likes davenn

1. What is a Bluetooth guitar amplifier?

A Bluetooth guitar amplifier is a type of guitar amplifier that uses Bluetooth technology to connect to other devices, such as smartphones or tablets, to play music or adjust settings wirelessly.

2. How does a Bluetooth guitar amplifier work?

A Bluetooth guitar amplifier works by using Bluetooth technology to establish a wireless connection with other devices. This allows the amplifier to receive audio signals and control signals from the connected device, allowing for remote control of the amplifier's settings.

3. What are the benefits of using a Bluetooth guitar amplifier?

The main benefit of using a Bluetooth guitar amplifier is the convenience and flexibility it offers. It allows for wireless control of the amplifier's settings, making it easier to adjust sound levels and effects while playing. It also allows for wireless streaming of music, making it a great option for practicing or performing with backing tracks.

4. Can I connect multiple devices to a Bluetooth guitar amplifier?

Yes, most Bluetooth guitar amplifiers allow for multiple devices to be connected at once. This means you can have your guitar connected for playing, while also streaming music from your phone or tablet.

5. Are there any downsides to using a Bluetooth guitar amplifier?

One potential downside of using a Bluetooth guitar amplifier is the possibility of interference or connectivity issues. If there are other Bluetooth devices nearby, they may interfere with the connection to the amplifier. Additionally, the range of the Bluetooth connection may be limited, so you may need to stay within a certain distance from the amplifier for it to work properly.