Can I do undergrad research and summer classes at another school?

In summary, it sounds like it would be difficult to do research at another school, but it's possible. You may need to get good grades in your second semester of electrical engineering if you want to pursue research over the summer. You would need to apply to a program through the NSF's Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program.
jack476
I'm planning on going to graduate school, and that means I'll need research experience. Now, double-majoring in electrical engineering and physics, my semester schedules are too rough for me to take up research, but I was thinking of doing it over the summer. However, the university I'm at is pretty small and doesn't have a great deal of student research going on to begin with, and none at all over the summer.

Is it possible to do research at another school? If so, what sort of grades or experience would I need and what's the over-all process of going about doing that, like do I need to formally apply to another school? My GPA is 3.1 and, while it's not research, I'm currently working for the physics department repairing lab equipment, what should I expect with that kind of record and experience?

If I don't get research, I may also try taking summer classes, but the summer offerings at my school are pretty slim. I've taken classes at a junior college over summer before, but now I'm past the sort of things I could take at a community college, would I be able to take summer classes at a traditional university? And again, same questions, would I need to go through the same formal application process as though I was enrolling in a full-time degree program and are the standards for admission the same as though I was transferring completely between colleges?

Physics news on Phys.org
Many universities and other institutions sponsor summer research programs for undergraduates from other schools, under the NSF's Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program.

http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/

The REU program is good for this. It's also difficult to get a research position at another school - that professor will be under pressure to take one of his own students.

One other word of advice - if you want to go to graduate school, you want to get that 3.1 up.

Okay, that sounds like a good place to start. Any advice on how to go about that?

Vanadium 50 said:
One other word of advice - if you want to go to graduate school, you want to get that 3.1 up.

I know, I know :( I've been getting pretty much perfect grades for the last few semesters, but my second semester of electrical engineering really nailed me. That's one reason I've been thinking of taking extra classes.

jack476 said:
Any advice on how to go about that?

You mean how to find REU programs? Follow the "Search for an REU site" link on the page I gave. You'll eventually come to a collection of links for individual universities' REU programs. They'll tell you details and application deadlines. I tried a few at random. Some (e.g. BYU) don't have their 2015 information up yet.

Related to Can I do undergrad research and summer classes at another school?

1. Can I do undergrad research and summer classes at another school?

Yes, it is possible to do undergraduate research and summer classes at another school. Many universities have programs that allow students to participate in research at other institutions during the summer. Additionally, many schools offer online classes during the summer that can be taken from anywhere.

2. Will the credits transfer to my home institution?

The transfer of credits from another school to your home institution depends on the policies of both schools. It is important to check with your academic advisor or the registrar's office to ensure that the credits will transfer and count towards your degree.

3. How do I find summer research opportunities at other schools?

There are many ways to find summer research opportunities at other schools. You can start by reaching out to professors at other universities to inquire about research opportunities. You can also look for summer research programs or internships offered by other institutions.

4. Can I receive financial aid for summer classes at another school?

Financial aid for summer classes at another school may be available, but it depends on your individual situation. You should contact your home institution's financial aid office for more information. Additionally, some summer research programs may offer stipends or funding for participants.

5. How will participating in research at another school benefit me?

Participating in research at another school can provide valuable experience and skills that can enhance your resume and make you a more competitive candidate for graduate school or future job opportunities. It also allows you to broaden your network and gain exposure to different research environments and techniques.