Summer Opportunities for Math/CS

• Other
  • Thread starter Jefafa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary, the high-school student is graduating and looking for opportunities to advance their learning and career before starting college in the fall. They have taken undergraduate courses in linear algebra and combinatorics and are interested in research. They are open to opportunities outside of Maryland and have heard about government labs and internships for minority students attending MI serving institutions. The student is also interested in STEM internships for community college students and plans to reach out to their school's department chair or undergraduate advisor for information. They have also been advised to look into organizations such as NASA, NSF, defense companies, DOD, and DOJ, including the FBI.
Jefafa
Hello!

I am a high-school student and I am graduating this year. I got into college, so I am shifting my focus on to things I can do before the fall to advance my learning and career. I was curious if anyone knew about opportunities that might be available for someone in my position.

I live in Maryland, but would be willing to go somewhere else (preferably US) if need be. By the summer, I will have taken undergraduate courses in linear algebra and proofs from Johns Hopkins, and have completed a year-long undergraduate level course in combinatorics. I am very interested in research, but I have a feeling that REUs are a pipe dream for now.

Thank you in advance, and please tell me if this is the wrong form for a question like this, I'm new here.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are government labs all over Maryland. Many of them have student programs.

If you belong to a minority group and/or attend a MI serving institution. There is an internship between DOD and HBCU. It is already too late to apply. Typically, a large number of summer internship applications open up during the November and end very early January.

Obviously this information is for students already having taken college course work, and at the minimum junior year. There are also some aimed at first/second years. Maybe googling stem internships for community college students would give you an idea of what's out there.

Also emailing the department chair/undergraduate advisor asking what programs the school provides, or are available would not hurt.

Look into Nasa, NSF, defense companies, DOD, DOJ etc.

I recall the FBI, which is under DOJ, offers a few.

1. What are some summer opportunities for math and computer science?

There are a variety of summer opportunities for math and computer science, including internships, research programs, and summer camps. Some popular options include the Research Science Institute, Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Program, and Google Summer of Code.

2. How can I find summer opportunities in math and computer science?

You can find summer opportunities in math and computer science by searching online, talking to your school's career center, and networking with professionals in the field. Many universities and organizations also have specific programs for high school or college students.

3. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for summer programs in math and computer science?

Yes, there are often scholarships and financial aid available for summer programs in math and computer science. Many programs offer need-based or merit-based scholarships, and some universities or organizations have specific funds dedicated to supporting students in these fields.

4. What are the benefits of participating in a summer program in math and computer science?

Participating in a summer program in math and computer science can provide valuable hands-on experience, exposure to new topics and technologies, networking opportunities, and a chance to enhance your resume and college applications. It can also help you gain a better understanding of potential career paths in these fields.

5. Do I need to have prior experience or knowledge in math and computer science to participate in a summer program?

It depends on the specific program, but many summer opportunities in math and computer science are open to students with varying levels of experience and knowledge. Some programs may have prerequisites or prefer applicants with a certain level of proficiency, while others may be designed for beginners. It's important to carefully read the program requirements and descriptions before applying.