Can I get different frequencies from He-Ne Laser ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possible frequencies that can be obtained from a He-Ne laser and why it is used in infrared spectroscopy. The speaker also questions the level of research done on the topic. The answer is that the laser can produce different frequencies for a cost of approximately $7000.
Asmaa
Hi guys,

can I get different frequencies from He-Ne Laser?

if Not?

why is it used in Infrared spectroscopy?

Science news on Phys.org
Asmaa said:
Hi guys,

if Not?

why is it used in Infrared spectroscopy?

hi there
welcome to PF

You have labelled your thread with an A tag indicating post graduate level education

you should be used to doing research by now, what have you done so far to find an answer ?

davenn said:
hi there
welcome to PF

You have labelled your thread with an A tag indicating post graduate level education

you should be used to doing research by now, what have you done so far to find an answer ?

I didn't understand your reply !

Asmaa said:
I didn't understand your reply !
It was very clear :smile:what part of .. " what research have you done so far to find an answer ? " …. didn't you understand ? :smile:

Asmaa said:
Yes, for about USD$7000.

(sorry @davenn , seemed like the shortest route)

Likes davenn

1. What are the different frequencies that can be obtained from a He-Ne laser?

The only frequency that can be obtained from a He-Ne laser is the red light at a wavelength of 632.8 nanometers. This is due to the specific energy levels and transitions within the helium-neon gas mixture that the laser uses.

2. Can the frequency of a He-Ne laser be changed?

No, the frequency of a He-Ne laser cannot be changed. The laser operates at a fixed frequency determined by the energy levels of the gas mixture, and this frequency cannot be altered.

3. Can a He-Ne laser produce multiple frequencies simultaneously?

No, a He-Ne laser can only produce a single frequency at a time. The laser operates by stimulating atoms to emit photons at a specific frequency, so it is not capable of producing multiple frequencies simultaneously.

4. How is the frequency of a He-Ne laser measured?

The frequency of a He-Ne laser is typically measured using a spectrometer or interferometer. These instruments can accurately measure the wavelength of the laser beam, which can then be used to calculate the frequency using the speed of light equation (c = λν).

5. Are there any factors that can affect the frequency of a He-Ne laser?

The frequency of a He-Ne laser is highly stable and is not affected by external factors such as temperature or pressure. However, factors such as the alignment of the laser cavity and the quality of the gas mixture can have a small impact on the frequency.