Can I Identify and Replace Damaged Components?

• Thread starter TechTree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary: I'll purchase an external battery charger, and give it a test. Hopefully It'll work, if not I have the fun task of retrieving all my data from the memory chip which would be a pain.In summary, Tom thinks it's possible that the phone may have survived this, although there was the smell of burning. However, he suspects that the protective diodes on the USB data lines may have been burnt, and so the phone would not be able to charge anymore.
TechTree
Hi, So recently my charging port on my phone broke so I tried to charge it up internally (Connecting to the inner side of micro USB port from the circuit board) which I regret doing... As I was holding the charging wires in place I the wire slipped and touched the data wires in the micro USB port for a split second. Which created a familiar smell of burnt electronics.

And so my question: Is it possible that the phone may have survived this, although there was the smell of burning, or has a component definitely been damaged? If it has damaged something is there still a change that I could Identify that component and replace it?

Thanks. :wink:

Engineering news on Phys.org
TechTree said:
Is it possible that the phone may have survived this, although there was the smell of burning, or has a component definitely been damaged?
Both. There is some chance that you burnt the protective diode matrix of the USB data lines only, for example. If so, then you still can charge (after replacing the connector), but it won't work as an USB port anymore.

Is there anything more to lose at this point with testing:rolleyes:

Likes TechTree
Rive said:
Both. There is some chance that you burnt the protective diode matrix of the USB data lines
Thanks for the reply, I took a photo of the part that looks damaged. Do you suspect this part is the protective diode matrix that you talked about? I can't seem to find any other abnormalities on the board other than this. Could the phone still work if I replace the port or externally charge the battery?

Thanks.

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 354
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 351
If the second image bottom left corner is the USB connector, then please make a photo about that area, from both side of the PCB.

Likes TechTree
Rive said:
please make a photo about that area, from both side of the PCB.
Okay, I took three photos of the area. Including the broken Micro USB Port. :wink:
DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0026.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC_0029.jpg
    DSC_0029.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC_0033.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 337
On the second picture those four darker components, especially that square one near the connector. Those are the protective diodes. Most likely, at least.
I can see nothing, but that means exactly: nothing.

Likes TechTree
Rive said:
I can see nothing, but that means exactly: nothing.
Thanks for the response. Do you think it is worth repairing the charging port? Although I was certain I smelt something burn, if there's no physical damage would it still have a chance of working, or should I just scarp it for parts?

Thanks. :wink:

Can you switch it on with a charged battery?

At least you learned something. Remove power sources before (attempting) repairs. :oops:

(Don't feel too bad, we've all done it!)

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
(Don't feel too bad, we've all done it!)
And probably more than once. :devil:

Likes TechTree and Tom.G
Rive said:
Can you switch it on with a charged battery?
I'll purchase an external battery charger, and give it a test. Hopefully It'll work, if not I have the fun task of retrieving all my data from the memory chip which would be a pain.
Tom.G said:
Remove power sources before (attempting) repairs. :oops:
I think I've learned my lesson. :rolleyes:

Likes dlgoff

1. What causes components to become damaged?

There are several potential causes of damage to components, including excessive heat, exposure to moisture or corrosive substances, physical impact or stress, and electrical overloads. Poor maintenance or improper installation can also contribute to component damage.

2. How can I identify damaged components?

The most common signs of component damage include physical deformities or discoloration, unusual sounds or smells, and failure to function properly. You may also notice changes in performance or error messages on your device.

3. Can I repair damaged components?

In some cases, damaged components can be repaired by a professional technician. However, it is important to assess the extent of the damage and determine if it is cost-effective to repair or if replacement is a better option. Attempting to repair components yourself can also be dangerous and may cause further damage.

4. How can I prevent damage to components?

To prevent damage to components, it is important to follow proper maintenance and handling procedures. This includes keeping components clean and free of dust and debris, avoiding exposure to extreme temperatures or moisture, and using surge protectors to protect against electrical overloads. Regularly inspecting and servicing your devices can also help prevent damage.

5. How long do components typically last before becoming damaged?

The lifespan of components can vary greatly depending on the type of component, the quality of manufacturing, and how well it is maintained. Generally, most components can last anywhere from 3-10 years, but this can be shorter or longer depending on individual circumstances.