Making a solar cell phone charger

In summary, Eddie purchased a kit to make a solar charger and connected it to a panel and to two USB ports. He tested the current output and found it to be at 470mA. He also attached a heatsink to the regulator.
eddie90
Good day everyone,

So I have a spare solar panel that has been laying around and I want to put it to use. Its a small panel, about 8"X12". The specs read 8 Watts and 17 Volts

I was thinking of maybe making a solar charger for phones and other 5VDC USB devices.

I bought a 5VDC regulator kit, soldered it together and got it to work with the panel
This is the kit:
http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.aspx/5v-regulator-board-kit/508/

Next I want to hook the output up to a set of maybe 2 or 4 USB ports. I can get these off an old computer or other device.

My question is, how do I know how much current this thing will output at 5VDC?
I know my factory cell phone charger outputs 2000ma or 2 amps.
How do I know that this setup will not output more than that and damage the device being charged.
Or is this setup even strong enough to go up to 2 amps?

Is there a way to test for this?

Thank you and sorry for the long post

-Eddie

Engineering news on Phys.org
Borg said:
There are a bunch of designs for this at this site - http://www.instructables.com/howto/solar+panel+charger/

With respect to the power requirements, some of them use the solar panel to charge a battery pack - http://www.instructables.com/id/Solar-USB-Charger-20-21/
I had not thought about charging a battery pack. That might be better, it is not limited to providing power only while under the sun.

I will look at these examples in detail tonight when I get home

Thank you!

The specifications for the PV is; 17V, 8W. The current will be ( 8W / 17V ) = 0.47A.
The regulator is a linear regulator so Iin = Iout.
The maximum current out will therefore be 470 mA.

The voltage drop across the regulator will be 17Vin – 5Vout = 12V
The regulator will therefore dissipate power ( 12V * 0.47A ) = 5.64W
Maybe you should consider a heatsink if the regulator gets hot.

Baluncore said:
The specifications for the PV is; 17V, 8W. The current will be ( 8W / 17V ) = 0.47A.
The regulator is a linear regulator so Iin = Iout.
The maximum current out will therefore be 470 mA.

The voltage drop across the regulator will be 17Vin – 5Vout = 12V
The regulator will therefore dissipate power ( 12V * 0.47A ) = 5.64W
Maybe you should consider a heatsink if the regulator gets hot.

The regulator chip did did begin to get a little hot so I did attach a small heatsink to it.
I am using it to charge a portable phone charger that itself is charged with 5V

Seems to work just fine now.

Thank you!

1. How does a solar cell phone charger work?

A solar cell phone charger works by converting energy from the sun into electricity. The charger contains solar cells, also known as photovoltaic cells, which are made of silicon and other materials that can absorb sunlight. When sunlight hits the solar cells, it causes a flow of electrons, creating an electrical current that can be used to charge a phone.

2. What materials are needed to make a solar cell phone charger?

The main materials needed to make a solar cell phone charger include solar cells, a rechargeable battery, a charge controller, and a USB port. You will also need wires, a soldering iron, and a casing to protect the charger. Some additional materials may be required depending on the design and complexity of the charger.

3. Can I make a solar cell phone charger at home?

Yes, it is possible to make a solar cell phone charger at home. There are many DIY tutorials and kits available that provide step-by-step instructions on how to make a simple solar cell phone charger. However, it is important to note that making a safe and efficient solar charger may require some knowledge of electronics and soldering.

4. How long does it take to charge a phone with a solar cell phone charger?

The charging time for a phone using a solar cell phone charger depends on several factors, including the strength of the sunlight, the capacity of the solar cells, and the battery capacity of the phone. On average, it can take anywhere from 2-8 hours to fully charge a phone with a solar charger.

5. Are solar cell phone chargers environmentally friendly?

Yes, solar cell phone chargers are considered to be environmentally friendly. They use renewable energy from the sun, which does not produce any harmful emissions. By using a solar charger, you are reducing your carbon footprint and helping to conserve non-renewable energy sources.