Can I make a banana from nothing?

In summary, the idea of creating a banana from scratch using a jar of its chemical components is not currently feasible due to our limited understanding of biology and the complexity of creating a living cell. While theoretically possible, it would require an immense amount of energy and time to manipulate the bonds and atoms in a precise manner. Additionally, we do not have a complete understanding of all the components that make up a banana. Therefore, it is much more practical to grow bananas through traditional methods rather than attempting to create them in a lab.
Scott Pratz
Excuse the simplified question title. I have very little knowledge in the world of organic chemistry, and chemistry alone.

If I looked at the composition of banana (atomically), and then I got a little jar full of every element that is necessary to a banana's composition, could I make a banana?

I understand the challenges of the energy required to physically manipulate atoms.. but is this theoreticall ypossible? Could I create cells from pure atoms? What would it take to make this possible? Besides the gazillions of years required to do this... How much energy would be required to make the bonds? How could one manipulate the bonds/atoms?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Scott Pratz said:
Excuse the simplified question title. I have very little knowledge in the world of organic chemistry, and chemistry alone.

If I looked at the composition of banana (atomically), and then I got a little jar full of every element that is necessary to a banana's composition, could I make a banana?

I understand the challenges of the energy required to physically manipulate atoms.. but is this theoreticall ypossible? Could I create cells from pure atoms? What would it take to make this possible? Besides the gazillions of years required to do this... How much energy would be required to make the bonds? How could one manipulate the bonds/atoms?

Thanks!

In a nutshell, no you can't create a banana (or anything else that complex) by manipulating a jar of its chemical constituents. That's why bananas are still grown: it's much easier to cultivate and harvest the natural article than to try to do it the mad scientist way. :rolleyes:

SteamKing said:
In a nutshell, no you can't create a banana
okay well thanks for your response, but instead of saying yes or no, can you clarify why?

Scott Pratz said:
okay well thanks for your response, but instead of saying yes or no, can you clarify why?

Well, for one thing, our current knowledge of science and technology is nowhere near being able to create anything as complex as a single cell using raw chemicals.

All of the DNA technology and genetic manipulation we currently employ takes place using existing natural cells or organisms. If an agricultural researcher wants to create a new strain of corn, for example, he breeds various existing strains of corn together to select the desirable qualities which the new strain should have. He doesn't mix up a bunch of chemicals in a lab to create a new species of corn.

In theory, we should be able to make a banana from scratch. There is nothing magical about biological materials that makes them different from other chemical systems.

In practice, as @SteamKing said, we don't know nearly enough about biology to even know how to build the simplest cells from scratch.

Here's a related discussion in the forums on this topic that you may find useful: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/can-we-create-life-from-scratch.692013/

Likes Borek
Ygggdrasil said:
In theory, we should be able to make a banana from scratch.
In practice, on top of the problems already described, no one has done a total assay of a banana to even know what has to be made from scratch.

Likes Mike_In_Plano
Ygggdrasil said:
In theory, we should be able to make a banana from scratch. There is nothing magical about biological materials

Which is probably the most important statement in the whole thread :)

1. How can I make a banana from nothing?

Making a banana from nothing is not currently possible with our current technology and understanding of science. Bananas are living organisms that require specific conditions and nutrients to grow. Creating a banana from nothing would require manipulating atoms and molecules, which is beyond our capabilities at this time.

2. Is it possible to create a banana through cloning or genetic engineering?

While it is possible to create a genetically identical banana through cloning or genetic engineering, this still requires a pre-existing banana as the starting material. It is not possible to create a banana from nothing using these methods.

3. Can a banana be created through chemical reactions?

No, a banana cannot be created through chemical reactions. Chemical reactions involve the rearrangement of atoms and molecules, but they cannot create new matter out of nothing. A banana is a complex living organism that cannot be created through chemical reactions alone.

4. Are there any theories or research about creating matter from nothing?

There are theories and ongoing research about the creation of matter from nothing, but currently, there is no scientific evidence to support this concept. The laws of physics suggest that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed.

5. Can we ever make a banana from nothing in the future?

It is impossible to predict what scientific advancements may occur in the future. However, based on our current understanding of science, it is unlikely that we will ever be able to make a banana from nothing. It is more likely that we will continue to improve our methods of growing and producing bananas through traditional agriculture and biotechnology.