Can I publish paper without references?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on whether they can publish a paper without including any references or citations, as their work represents something new. However, they are reminded that even the most innovative ideas can still reference previous attempts. The conversation also discusses the example of Einstein's 1905 relativity paper, which did not include any references.
meyol99
I'm afraid my science papers represent something new and there are no citations and references. Any advice ? Can I publish paper without references ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mevludin Licina said:
there are no citations and references
This is complete nonsense. Even the most innovative approach to any problem can reference the failed attempts of others.

Likes Ravi Mohan and Vanadium 50
Well, since you are wishing to publish a paper I assume that you are well-read on the literature in the appropriate field of study. What sort of references do they use?

Einstein got away without including any references in his famous 1905 relativity paper, but I'd be cautious of trying to emulate his example. :olduhh:

Likes Ravi Mohan and atyy

1. Can I publish a paper without any references?

Technically, it is possible to publish a paper without any references. However, it is highly discouraged and considered poor academic practice. References serve as evidence and support for your ideas and claims, and help to give credit to the work of others.

2. Are references necessary for all types of papers?

Yes, references are necessary for all types of papers. Whether you are writing a research paper, review article, or even an opinion piece, it is important to support your arguments with relevant and credible sources.

3. How many references should I include in my paper?

The number of references to include in a paper can vary depending on the length and topic of the paper. As a general guideline, it is recommended to have at least 10-15 references for a short paper and 30-50 references for a longer paper. However, the quality of the references is more important than the quantity.

4. Can I use any type of reference in my paper?

It is best to use scholarly and peer-reviewed sources in your paper, such as journal articles, books, and reputable websites. Avoid using sources that are biased, outdated, or not credible. Additionally, make sure to properly cite and format your references according to the required style guide.

5. What are the consequences of publishing a paper without references?

Publishing a paper without references can result in your work being rejected by journals or deemed unreliable by readers. It can also lead to accusations of plagiarism, which can have serious consequences for your academic and professional reputation. It is always best to properly cite and reference your sources to avoid these consequences.