Undergraduate studies and making or publishing papers

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an undergraduate student in math making efforts to publish papers in physics or math. The person asking the questions is interested in theoretical topics and approaches but mentions struggling with passing courses and quitting when faced with difficult problems. The other person advises finding a professor to work with and improving grades, proof-writing skills, and persistence as key factors in being successful in publishing.
trees and plants
Hello. I am sorry for asking these questions but could an undergraduate student in math like me make efforts on topics and make or publish papers?As well, could an undegraduate student make not top rated or top class papers but low or average rated papers? What your advice would be on those questions that i made? I personally would want to make these efforts and participate in making papers in physics or math. I hope this goes on well. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Questions i want to make: what about making low rated papers in theoretical physics in fields like classical mechanics, fluid mechanics,perhaps general relativity, quantum field theory, cloud dynamics, stellar dynamics?

And about math fields like the ones we learn in undergraduate studies? Like linear algebra, multivariable calculus, elements of differential geometry, algebraic structures, group theory,introduction in galois theory, introduction in number theory, introduction in differential forms and others?

I am interested basically in theoretical topics and approaches not so much experimental or observational approaches in physics and mathematics. Mostly because i do not have the equipment or the knowledge to conduct experiments or observations in physics and because i prefer making theoretical things based on theory.

Thank you.

Your best bet is to find a professor who's looking for an undergraduate student as a research assistant.

While there are some extremely rare examples of undergraduate students producing publishable work independently, there really isn't a lot of point in attempting to go it alone. With a knowledgeable mentor, you'll have the expertise of someone who is already an expert in the field, knows what problems are being worked on, what approaches are likely to yield interesting results and how not to spend your time re-inventing a wheel. Not to mention that allows you to make connections and broaden your academic network.

Ask around at your school. Your specific professors may not have positions available, but usually they know someone who's looking. It is a little late in the season to find summer work (if you're in North America), but it's still not impossible.

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
I don't think publishing should be your priority:

(1) You say you are struggling to pass your courses. That needs to be your priority.

(2) You cannot prove even the most elementary of statements, like all numbers are either even or odd. You have a long way to go before doing something publishable.

(3) When faced with a problem you can't solve, you quit. You've walked away from that problem three times now. You will never get better without working on problems that challenge you. Apart from being deeply disrespectful of those people who were trying to help you, how are you ever going to get better if you don't finish what you start? If you don't change this, you will never, ever be good enough to publish.

(4) You are asking a lot of a professor to take you on. If you are this disrespectful of people who are trying to help you, and are unwilling to improve, you will find very few professors are willing to take you on.

If you want to publish some day, you need to:
  • Improve your grades
  • Improve your proof-writing skills
  • Stick with problems that are challenging

Last edited:
Likes curious__
Vanadium 50 said:
  • Stick with problems that are challenging
I am working for a research group as part of my first year project at uni (chemistry), and a part of our work is just doing the same thing over and over again (with slight variations) until it works. People will say IQ and stuff is important in science, but if you aren't persistent, good luck.

1. What is the purpose of undergraduate studies?

Undergraduate studies are designed to provide students with a broad and foundational education in a specific field of study. They allow students to gain a deeper understanding of their chosen subject and develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.

2. How can I get involved in making or publishing papers as an undergraduate student?

There are several ways to get involved in making or publishing papers as an undergraduate student. You can participate in research projects with faculty members, join a research lab or group, attend conferences and workshops, and submit your work to undergraduate research journals.

3. What is the benefit of publishing a paper as an undergraduate student?

Publishing a paper as an undergraduate student can have several benefits, including building your resume and academic portfolio, developing your research and writing skills, and increasing your chances of getting into graduate school or securing a job in your field of study.

4. How do I choose a topic for my undergraduate research paper?

Choosing a topic for your undergraduate research paper can be a challenging task. It is essential to select a topic that interests you and aligns with your academic goals. You can also consult with your professors or research mentors for guidance and suggestions.

5. What are some tips for successfully completing an undergraduate research paper?

To successfully complete an undergraduate research paper, it is crucial to start early, stay organized, and communicate regularly with your research mentor. It is also essential to conduct thorough research, critically analyze your findings, and revise and edit your paper multiple times before submission.