Is It Safe to Drink Milk Left Out for 3 Hours?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: I left milk out all night and still drank it after it was cool again.If it still felt chilled, and you're going to drink it tonight, it's probably okay, at least if it started out fairly fresh (if it's already close to the expiration date, I'd just dump it, because it might have already been starting some bacterial growth). A half gallon is a large enough volume, it probably wouldn't cool too quickly (maybe you should give the carton dimensions, refrigerator temperature and room temperature to the physics/math folks around here and let them calculate the time it reached that "danger zone" HRW mentioned and how long it was at that temperature...the milk in the middle is probably just fine :
honestrosewater said:
That actually works sometimes too. Seriously.
But only if you're very very bad. :devil:

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
oh the things that can come from talking about spoiling milk. I haven't had this much fun since aol chatrooms in 95 :biggrin:
Well, it is GD! You never know what might happen in here.

Just look at this...it's Greg and all the PF women in here.

Moonbear said:
Well, it is GD! You never know what might happen in here.

Just look at this...it's Greg and all the PF women in here.

Apparently I need start hanging out in GD more often... and start up the PF Dating service, I could make a fortune :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Apparently I need start hanging out in GD more often... and start up the PF Dating service, I could make a fortune :)
Hey, I keep asking for a PF Dating Service. I tried that thread once, but forgot to make the poll public so people who know who was actually available. :redface: :smile:

honestrosewater said:
And you want two dozen instead? MIH, you minx.
well, you know me. I always want more. Give me a cubic meter, and I'll ask for a dekaliter.

*waits for Pengwuino's wrath*:biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
well, you know me. I always want more. Give me a cubic meter, and I'll ask for a dekaliter.
Well now you're just showing off with that fancy degree you got there. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Well now you're just showing off with that fancy degree you got there. :biggrin:
Hmmph! I've read numerous articles that guffaw at the little kitty who received his credentials online from a dubious institution. Yet, none of them mention the fact that he now commands a six-figure salary as a consultant with Ernst and Young (possessing a key to the Executive Litterbox, to boot). :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
That's right. I don't come cheaply.

(Heh. I don't mean anything indecent by that. o:) And if you think I did, it wasn't my words but your interpretation. :devil:)

Moonbear said:
Hey, I keep asking for a PF Dating Service. I tried that thread once, but forgot to make the poll public so people who know who was actually available. :redface: :smile:
I think that's actually a good idea. Someone was just asking how you let people know that you're "looking".

honestrosewater said:
I think that's actually a good idea. Someone was just asking how you let people know that you're "looking".
Yeah, Hurkyl and me. I'm sure it'll be a great service, 10,000 men and 6 women signed up...yep, the odds sound about right to me. :approve:

Moonbear said:
Yeah, Hurkyl and me. I'm sure it'll be a great service, 10,000 men and 6 women signed up...yep, the odds sound about right to me. :approve:

As long as I can code the system to my advantage it's all good. One minute it's 10,000 to 6 and the next 1 to 6 :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
With those odds you'll have plenty of men jumping ship.

Greg Bernhardt said:
As long as I can code the system to my advantage it's all good. One minute it's 10,000 to 6 and the next 1 to 6 :biggrin:
:smile:

TheStatutoryApe said:
With those odds you'll have plenty of men jumping ship.
Well, perseverance is one of the screening traits. :approve:

Moonbear said:
Well, perseverance is one of the screening traits. :approve:
It has nothing to do with perseverance. You hang out around 10,000 guys all trying to hook up with one of only six girls and tell me how long you lasted. I think you'd pick someone just to get the hell outta there.:wink:

TheStatutoryApe said:
It has nothing to do with perseverance. You hang out around 10,000 guys all trying to hook up with one of only six girls and tell me how long you lasted. I think you'd pick someone just to get the hell outta there.:wink:
:smile: Maybe I'd just stand back and watch the melee, and do it the old survival of the fittest way. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Yeah, I know it was Hurkyl. I think he's cute too.

Hm, remind me not to drink and post at the same time.

I think TSA and Greg are cute too.

Yeah, someone had better shut me up soon.

honestrosewater said:
I think TSA and Greg are cute too.
Yeah, someone had better shut me up soon.

oh I'll shut you up... now go to my room! :biggrin:

(sorry, my protein shake gets me a little loopy)

Last edited:
Just stopping by... interesting discussion.

What do you mean by "protein shake," are you shaking protein??

Mk said:
What do you mean by "protein shake," are you shaking protein??

To prepare for the upcoming spring soccer league I'm starting my training early. I bought 20 pounds of a powdered protein substance that I mix into milk and it gives me an easy 30g of protein. I drink 2 a day. As a side effect it also gives me a very hairy complection as you can see from my recent mug shot on the left.

Last edited:
20 pounds of a powdered protein substance that I mix into milk and it gives me an easy 30g of protein. I drink 2 a day.
Wow, twenty pounds, I'm surprised anybody can carry that. And I bet there is more milk than protein, so... that's an at least 40 pound drink. You must have a big stomach. And two a day! High metabolism to accompany.

Greg Bernhardt said:
To prepare for the upcoming spring soccer league I'm starting my training early. I bought 20 pounds of a powdered protein substance that I mix into milk and it gives me an easy 30g of protein. I drink 2 a day. As a side effect it also gives me a very hairy complection as you can see from my recent mug shot on the left.
So does that 20 calories/cup difference between 1% and 2% disappoint you too? I mean, shouldn't it be more? That's not much, 20 calories...

Hm, or am I still just strange?

Greg Bernhardt said:
oh I'll shut you up... now go to my room! :biggrin:
(sorry, my protein shake gets me a little loopy)
Um, I'm not ignoring this, BTW. I just can't reply, wink wink.

Has anyone ever noticed that slightly off milk smells and tastes slightly of strawberry I always thought that was odd? Good bench test make a cup of tea/coffee, put some milk in if it curdles bin it, if it doesn't drink it. Works for me. Barring a thunderstorm or a witch walking past or Cane or Satan, leaving large quantities of chilled stuff out for a few hours will do no real harm, that's just thermodynamics for you:wink: :-p

Oh c'mon, I was hoping somebody that wasn't in gold or blue or green would post.

I think old milk does not taste good. One time I took I big drink, and whew was that bad!

I really wish some magician would make this thread disappear. :redface:

So, Mk, you think bad milk tastes bad, huh? That's quite a revelation.

I'm a bit amazed at the number of pages a thread on milk has gotten.

Yeah, imagine if it was chocolate milk. :bugeye:

Whoa. Just imagine.

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one

honestrosewater said:
Yeah, imagine if it was chocolate milk. :bugeye:

Can someone start a thread on chocolate milk? There are serious implications at issue, the whole chocolate and milk dichotomy and the implications to diet and the underlying psychosexual implications. This needs to be Raised!:-p :wink:

Ok threads up, just don't say I've never contributed anything to serious debate on these forums.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I left 1/2 gallon of 1% milk out for nearly three hours. Still felt chilled. Think I should drink it? I really don't want to go out to the store tonight!
Don't do it!

dav2008 said:
Don't do it!
Whoa, just in the nick of time.

honestrosewater said:
Whoa, just in the nick of time.
:smile: Yeah, if it's still sitting out, I'd say don't even touch it let alone drink it!

Personally I wouldn't drink it. I'm really finicky about my milk. I can taste the difference after a few minutes. It may just be in my head, but if it doesn't taste just right, I won't drink it at all.