Can I stop space and enter from toggling my checkbutton? [Godot]

• Thread starter Darkmisc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    godot
Darkmisc
TL;DR Summary
I use space and enter as buttons for jump and shoot respectively. I have a checkbutton in my game for toggling the visibility of a display. It turns out space and enter also toggle my checkbutton.
Hi everyone

I use space and enter as buttons for jump and shoot respectively. I have a checkbutton in my game for toggling the visibility of a display. It turns out space and enter also toggle my checkbutton. I didn't code for space and enter to do this. I can't find anywhere on the inspector where keys are assigned to the checkbutton.

So far as I'm aware, no other keys toggle my checkbutton. I could change my keys for jump and shoot, but space and enter seem to be the best keys for this.

Is there anyway to stop space and enter from toggling my checkbutton?Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Clunky fix, but you could use a keyboard re-mapper.

Likes robphy and Darkmisc
What language and UI framework are you using?
Later: Failed to notice [Godot] stuck at the end of the subject title.

Last edited:
Likes Darkmisc
place your checkbox gui stuff on a separate screen from your game so that won't happen.

I'm assuming you're using javascript in a web app.

Here's the Godot Engine info on checkbox

https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/classes/class_checkbox.html

Maybe by using a checkbutton and toggling it with code will solve this issue as you have to use a mouse to give it focus and then to press it.

Likes Darkmisc
Darkmisc said:
I didn't code for space and enter to do this.
What if you do code those input events to do something with your checkbutton? Either "don't do anything" or "undo toggling action" might do the trick.

Likes robphy, Wrichik Basu, Darkmisc and 2 others
hmmm27 said:
Clunky fix, but you could use a keyboard re-mapper.

jack action said:
What if you do code those input events to do something with your checkbutton? Either "don't do anything" or "undo toggling action" might do the trick.

Possibly useful: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v1/misc/Override.htm

Likes hmmm27 and Darkmisc

1. Can I stop space and enter from toggling my checkbutton? [Godot]

Yes, it is possible to stop the space and enter keys from toggling your checkbutton in Godot. This can be achieved by using the set_process_input method to disable the input processing for those keys.

2. How do I use the set_process_input method to stop space and enter from toggling my checkbutton?

To use the set_process_input method, you first need to access the checkbutton node in your Godot project. Then, in the node's script, you can call the set_process_input method and pass in false as the parameter for the space and enter keys. This will disable the input processing for those keys and prevent them from toggling the checkbutton.

3. Can I use a different method to stop space and enter from toggling my checkbutton?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to stop the space and enter keys from toggling your checkbutton in Godot. For example, you can use the set_input_as_handled method to mark the input as handled, which will prevent it from being processed further.

4. Is it possible to customize the behavior of the space and enter keys for my checkbutton in Godot?

Yes, you can customize the behavior of the space and enter keys for your checkbutton in Godot by using the input_event method. This method allows you to handle the input events for specific keys and modify their behavior as needed.

5. Will stopping space and enter from toggling my checkbutton affect other input interactions in my Godot project?

No, stopping space and enter from toggling your checkbutton will only affect that specific node and its interactions with those keys. Other input interactions in your Godot project will not be affected by this change, allowing you to customize the behavior of different nodes and their inputs separately.