Can I switch from EE to other fields?

In summary, switching to computer engineering from EE would not be too bad, but you would need to take more computer science classes and be familiar with more programming languages.
Bipolarity
Let's say I get my undergrad degree in EE, but then decide to go to a different major for graduate school (i.e. PhD).

Which of the following would it be feasible (or even possible) for me to switch to:
- Economics
- Computer science (theoretical)
- Computer science (applied)
- Applied and computational mathematics
- Chemical engineering
- Computer engineering

This is assuming I graduate having the standard three levels of calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and probability/statistics for engineers, and perhaps some operations research, numerical analysis, game theory and calculus of variations. Also, I will have learned a ton of programming languages, and taken some thermodynamics classes (which my school forces all engineers to take).

Also, I imagine if I would read a ton about either of these fields if I had a sufficient interest in it. So my problem would not be a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of the actual degree and courseload (and research) that is typical of grad school applicants in the field. I'm curious to know how much that would hurt my chances.

Also, please don't ask me to change my undergrad EE. I am determined to finish my undergrad in EE. That said, all feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Your undergrad degree doesn't really affect your graduate choices much more then what college you might get accepted in. Some might require certain courses completed before you can apply so you may have to take additional classes, but usually nothing to terrible. I've seen people get bachelors in one thing and go in a totally opposite direction with their masters/phd.

I know computer engineering and EE at my school are greatly intertwined. So much that they had to change the curriculum this year and make computer engineers take more computer science classes so CE and EE didn't end up taking almost the same classes when graduating.

Related to Can I switch from EE to other fields?

1. Can I switch from EE to a completely different field?

Yes, it is possible to switch from EE (electrical engineering) to a completely different field. Many professionals have successfully transitioned from one field to another, sometimes even multiple times throughout their career. It may require additional education or training, but it is definitely possible.

2. Will my EE degree be relevant in other fields?

Yes, an EE degree can be relevant in other fields. The skills and knowledge gained in an EE program, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical proficiency, can be applied to other industries and fields. You may need to supplement your degree with additional coursework or training to adapt to a new field, but your EE background can give you a strong foundation.

3. What are some fields that EE graduates commonly switch to?

Some common fields that EE graduates switch to include computer science, telecommunications, renewable energy, biomedical engineering, and automation and control systems. However, the possibilities are endless and ultimately depend on your individual interests and career goals.

4. How do I know if switching from EE to another field is the right decision?

Deciding to switch from EE to another field is a personal decision that should be carefully considered. Research the field you are interested in, talk to professionals currently working in that field, and assess your skills and interests. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or part-time jobs can help you make an informed decision.

5. Will switching from EE to another field hurt my career prospects?

Switching from EE to another field does not necessarily hurt your career prospects. In fact, it can open up new opportunities and help you diversify your skill set. As long as you are willing to learn and adapt to a new field, employers will value your diverse background and experiences.