Can I Use a Normal Pen to Write on My iPad during Skype Screen Sharing?

• Thread starter magoood
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discussed using a pen on an iPad for screen sharing via Skype. The use of websites such as join.me and VNC were also mentioned as potential solutions for sharing screens and drawing on the same canvas. However, it was noted that these sites may have the ability to see and record what is being drawn.
magoood
Hi,
I've a friend of mine overseas and I want to help him with some Math problems. I have a desktop PC running Windows 7 x64 and I've also an Apple iPad 3 (the first version that comes with Retina). I'm going to make use of the screen sharing feature in Skype. The problem is that I want to have a tool that helps me write on my iPad using a pen. I was given - as a gift - a normal pen that has a special rubber at top to help select things on cell phone rather than using my fingers as the person who gave me the gift told me (please see image below). My questions are:

Is it possible to use that pen to write on the iPad? if yes, what software (hopefully free) that can allow me to use on the iPad as a scratch pad? (so that everything I'm writing on the iPad's screen shows up on my computer screen as well for the other person to see what I'm writing/doing via the Skype sharing feature.)

Many thanks! :)
n50j5w.jpg

Computer science news on Phys.org
While I can't comment on the pen, you wnat to make sure it doesn't scratch the surface of the ipad.

With respect to the screen sharing, there are website that both of you can sign onto where what you dtaw will be reflacted on their device.

I have never used any and have none to recommend at the moment

One such site is http://www.join.me with others listed via the search phrase "website to share screen between two devices"

One thing to be aware is that the site can see and record what you're writing if they choose too and there's no guarantee that they won't.

Another thought would be VNC where a remote user can control the mouse on your machine so that both of you could draw on the same canvas.

1. Can I effectively help someone via Skype?

Yes, you can definitely help someone via Skype. With screen sharing and video capabilities, you can easily communicate and guide someone through a task or problem.

2. What are the limitations of helping someone through Skype?

The main limitation of helping someone through Skype is the lack of physical presence. It can be challenging to demonstrate hands-on tasks or provide physical assistance. Additionally, technical issues such as poor internet connection or audio/video problems can hinder the effectiveness of the help.

3. How can I ensure successful communication while helping someone via Skype?

To ensure successful communication, it is important to have a stable internet connection and use a good quality microphone and camera. It is also helpful to have a clear agenda and plan for the session, and to communicate clearly and concisely.

4. Can I use Skype to provide remote training or education?

Absolutely, Skype can be a great tool for remote training or education. It allows for real-time interaction and can be used for demos, presentations, and Q&A sessions.

5. Is it safe to share sensitive information or documents through Skype while helping someone?

Skype uses encryption to protect your conversations, but it is always important to be cautious when sharing sensitive information online. It is recommended to use secure file sharing tools and to only share necessary information during the session.