Can Light Be Stretched in a Lab? Exploring Doppler Shift & X-Rays

In summary: No. A good exercise would be calculate how fast we'd need to moving relative to the imaging device to red-shift the frequency down to visible light.
yunged
Is it possible to create a doppler shift of EM radiation in a lab? or is it only feasible on universal scales?

I was just thinking that high energy x-rays have a sub-atomic wavelength,could these be transformed to visible light to let us 'see' an atom?

Science news on Phys.org
yunged said:
Is it possible to create a doppler shift of EM radiation in a lab?
Yes. That is how the police's speed detectors work and the weather radar also.

DaleSpam said:
Yes. That is how the police's speed detectors work and the weather radar also.

They detect the frequency change created by the movement of the car the light is bouncing off but they don't induce a frequency change themselves.
Also the scale of the change from x-ray to visible light is extreme to say the least, i assume it's not actually possible but thought i would throw it out there as the potential payoff would be amazing :-)

yunged said:
Is it possible to create a doppler shift of EM radiation in a lab? or is it only feasible on universal scales?

I was just thinking that high energy x-rays have a sub-atomic wavelength,could these be transformed to visible light to let us 'see' an atom?

We can create small doppler shifts, such as in Dalespam's examples of radar, but large doppler shifts like what you are suggesting are beyond our capability at the moment.

Drakkith said:
We can create small doppler shifts, such as in Dalespam's examples of radar, but large doppler shifts like what you are suggesting are beyond our capability at the moment.

Sorry Dalespan i was unaware we actually create the shift in the case of radar

Thanks for your answer Drakkith, It is the answer i expected but i couldn't find much on the subject through google.
so my next question is if we were able to create the necessary shift would my experiment be feasible?

We can already transform x rays to visible light in order to see the structure of matter. This is called xray crystallography. We just didn't use Doppler to do it. I don't see the benefit of using Doppler over existing approches.

DaleSpam said:
We can already transform x rays to visible light in order to see the structure of matter. This is called xray crystallography. We just didn't use Doppler to do it. I don't see the benefit of using Doppler over existing approches.

It's not something i have knowledge on but from what i ave read this is a different thing. This isn't converting x-rays to visible, it is sensing the diffraction pattern of the x-rays and then creating a visualisation of the perceived structure of the crystals.

Whilst i won't argue that this is incredibly useful and sufficient for scientific purposes we are human and we love things that fit our set of sensory organs. For instance compare the difference in feeling you get when you look at a celestial object through a telescope compared to looking at a picture of the exact same thing...
I'm not proposing this experiment as a way to further science as such but as one of those experiments that captures the public :-)

yunged said:
I'm not proposing this experiment as a way to further science as such but as one of those experiments that captures the public :)
The public doesn't care a bit about the mechanism, only the end result.

DaleSpam said:
The public doesn't care a bit about the mechanism, only the end result.

I disagree, the only scientific things i ever seem to hear the public discussing are nuclear power and GM crops, the end result of buying a tomato or switching on a light hasn't changed...
The problem is that people don't often understand the mechanics and so are easily swayed by sensationalist media stories that pray on their fears, but the answer to this is not to dismiss them out of hand and become scientific caricatures driven by some kind of self imposed autistic utilitarianism. I think the answer is to battle the fear mongering with Carl Saganesque positive appeals to emotion and i think Sagan understood well that the public likes the really big and the really small. Look at this pale blue dot...and now look at this atom.

But then again you could be completely right, it's a fairly subjective question that it's not possible to answer with any kind of certainty so for the sake of the question screw the public haha I want to see an atom damn it! So can someone tell me if it's possible? :-)

yunged said:
so my next question is if we were able to create the necessary shift would my experiment be feasible?

No. A good exercise would be calculate how fast we'd need to moving relative to the imaging device to red-shift the frequency down to visible light.

yunged said:
I disagree, the only scientific things i ever seem to hear the public discussing are nuclear power and GM crops, the end result of buying a tomato or switching on a light hasn't changed...
That is not a counterexample. The public doesn't care about nuclear power as a mechanism or a technology. They care about the end result of having clean, safe, and cheap power. Similarly with GM crops. The public's interest in those has nothing whatsoever to do with the mechanism or technology itself, only the end result.

yunged said:
But then again you could be completely right, it's a fairly subjective question that it's not possible to answer with any kind of certainty so for the sake of the question screw the public haha I want to see an atom damn it! So can someone tell me if it's possible? :-)
Yes, this type of technology exists. There was a group in 2013 I believe that published a paper showing an image of the hydrogen molecule's wavefunction. Also, IBM made an atomic-size movie by moving atoms around and taking pictures.

Last edited:

1. Can light be physically stretched in a lab?

No, light cannot be physically stretched because it is an electromagnetic wave, meaning it does not have a physical form to be stretched. However, the wavelength of light can be altered through the phenomenon of Doppler shift.

2. What is Doppler shift and how does it relate to light stretching?

Doppler shift is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave as it moves towards or away from an observer. This can cause the perceived stretching or compressing of light waves, depending on the direction of motion relative to the observer.

3. Can X-rays be stretched using Doppler shift in a lab?

Yes, X-rays are a type of electromagnetic wave and can be stretched or compressed using Doppler shift in a lab. This is often used in medical imaging techniques such as X-ray angiography.

4. Is the stretching of light through Doppler shift a permanent change?

No, the stretching or compressing of light waves through Doppler shift is a temporary change that occurs as the wave passes through a medium. Once the wave has passed, it returns to its original wavelength.

5. Can we observe the stretching of light in a lab?

Yes, the stretching or compressing of light waves through Doppler shift can be observed in a lab using specialized equipment such as spectrometers or interferometers. This allows scientists to study the behavior of light and its interactions with matter.