Can matter come into existence in empty space?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding the possibility of matter-antimatter pairs being generated in empty space. While it was previously considered anomalous, it has been verified on a large scale. The sources for this information are from popular science magazines and books, but it is important to consult textbooks or peer-reviewed papers for accurate information. Overall, the conversation concludes that the phenomenon is possible according to the math behind the standard model, but more research is needed to confirm it experimentally.
Neil Condon
A question arose over a simplification I wrote on another subject. My i information say's that matters antimatter pairs are generated in what is known to be very empty space such as the voids within the cosmic web. When I read about this it was considered anomalous but definitely verified.

Now empty space I admit is definitely not empty despite its vacant look. Within the voids is definitely the place I would point to as example of empty space. Has anyone else heard of this matter - antimatter pairs in empty space, because I was being told it does not happen.

Personally I always thought it was an impossibility of the second kind (see Impossible physics), the chances of it occurring is so tiny that you may as well say it is impossible, yet we do from time to time see it occurring on the largest scale.

Can anyone tell me more about these findings.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if spontaneous generation of particle and antiparticle pairs has been experimentally verified.
However the math behind the standard model does allow it to be possible

Neil Condon said:
My i information

Your information from where? Please give a specific reference.

I read it in numerous scientific magazines and books that was published mid nineties, when this phenomena was put around as a piece of common knowledge like the sort on trivia cards. Reporting may be different here in Australia, but it seemed to me at the time to be in just about everything i picked up. Sorry I can't give you the origin reference, "popular science" tends to lag way behind the discoveries made.

Neil Condon said:
I read it in numerous scientific magazines and books

Were any of them textbooks or peer-reviewed papers in scientific journals? I'm going to guess that the answer to that is no.

Neil Condon said:
"popular science" tends to lag way behind the discoveries made.

More than that, "popular science" tends to not correctly report the actual science. That's why we don't accept pop science sources for discussion here at PF.

If you want to discuss this issue, you first need to consult an actual textbook or peer-reviewed paper and learn what the actual science says. The short answer to the question you pose in the title of this thread is still "no". There are phenomena involving quantum fields in the vacuum that are sometimes, in pop science sources, described as "virtual particle pairs coming into existence and then annihilating each other" or something similar, but those descriptions are misleading and you should not try to reason about the actual science based on them.

And with that, since no valid sources have been given, this thread is closed.

1. Can matter spontaneously appear in empty space?

No, matter cannot spontaneously appear in empty space. According to the law of conservation of mass and energy, matter cannot be created or destroyed. Matter can only be transformed or converted into different forms.

2. Is it possible for matter to come into existence in a vacuum?

No, matter cannot come into existence in a vacuum. A vacuum is defined as a space devoid of matter. Therefore, matter cannot exist in a vacuum.

3. What is the process of matter formation in empty space?

Matter formation in empty space does not occur naturally. The formation of matter requires high energy processes such as nuclear fusion, particle collisions, or chemical reactions. These processes cannot occur in empty space as there are no particles present to interact with.

4. Are there any exceptions to the law of conservation of mass and energy?

No, the law of conservation of mass and energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been extensively tested and proven. Therefore, there are no exceptions to this law.

5. Can matter be created in a laboratory setting?

Yes, matter can be created in a laboratory through processes such as nuclear fusion, particle accelerations, and chemical reactions. However, these processes require a controlled environment and immense amounts of energy, making it impossible for matter to spontaneously come into existence in empty space.