Can Memory Loss Be Overcome? A Scientist's Journey of Recovery and Rediscovery

• Thread starter Aaraeg
  • Start date
In summary, a scientist named Suzanne Corkin was able to overcome her own memory loss through various techniques, including cognitive exercises and relearning tasks. She documented her journey of recovery and rediscovery, providing insights into the brain's ability to adapt and compensate for damaged areas. Her story serves as a testament to the potential for memory recovery and the importance of continually challenging and stimulating the mind to maintain cognitive function.
Aaraeg
Almost 40 years ago, a bus ran over me leaving me with a massive concussion. After various operations, I had a stroke, together with the bus, I lost most of my memories and ability to continue in my major fields of mathematical physics and systems engineering.

[ I continued to work in fields where I could be useful at times contributie.] I still read, hoping that running a river thru my head of ideas and technical challenges might trigger some recovery. ]

Now, with some new operations and meds, my memory is beginning to recover. But I'm nagged by the starving babies of research/joint projects left lost

Of course, I had to resign from research and teaching, and disappear from a community of wonderful colleagues.

Looking over some of the quite inspiring threads in this forum, I'm hoping to participate in a new community as I learn.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!