Can meson decay be determined using rest frames and momentum conservation?

In summary, using the rest frame to calculate the pion energy and speed, the kaon has a speed of 0.829 c.
ElectricEel1

Homework Statement

90af5e5f88.png

Homework Equations

E^2=m^2~p^2
k mass = 497.7Mev/c^2 pion mass = 139.6 Mev/c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the rest frame i figured that E_pi=m_k/2
so
P_pi = sqrt(E_pi^2 - m_pi^2)
the pion energy is half of the k meson mass so substituting that i end up with 206Mev/c for each pion.

So if momentum is conserved then surely 2*P_pi should be P_k in the frame where the k meson is moving?

so using E=sqrt(497.7^2 + 412^2) I got 646Mev for the k meson energy.

Is this a valid method where I used the rest frame to find the momenta of the pions first?

Physics news on Phys.org
ElectricEel1 said:
So if momentum is conserved then surely 2*P_pi should be P_k in the frame where the k meson is moving?
In the frame where the kaon is moving, what is P_pi? The two pions won't have the same momentum (not even as magnitude).

There is an easier approach if you stay in the kaon rest frame for one more step. What is the speed of a 206 MeV/c momentum pion?
You don't even need the pion momentum, you can directly use the pion energy to find the speed.

ElectricEel1 said:
No, this isn't correct. Your reasoning would work in Newtonian mechanics, but it doesn't work in special relativity. You need to use the Lorentz transformation to calculate how the four-momentum in one frame becomes the four-momentum in another frame.

mfb said:
In the frame where the kaon is moving, what is P_pi? The two pions won't have the same momentum (not even as magnitude).

There is an easier approach if you stay in the kaon rest frame for one more step. What is the speed of a 206 MeV/c momentum pion?
You don't even need the pion momentum, you can directly use the pion energy to find the speed.

Im on my phone at the moment so no pen or paper but do I need to rearrange mv/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) to find v? If I find that speed in the kaon rest frame then where do I go from here

also in the frame where the kaon is moving and one pion is at rest the pion momentum will be equal to the kaon momentum

Last edited:
ElectricEel1 said:
Im on my phone at the moment so no pen or paper but do I need to rearrange mv/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) to find v?
You can do that, but there are easier approaches, especially with the energy.
If I find that speed in the kaon rest frame then where do I go from here
Once you have that, you know the speed of the pion in the kaon rest frame. You also know the speed of one pion in the lab frame (0). You can find the relative speed between the frames that way.
also in the frame where the kaon is moving and one pion is at rest the pion momentum will be equal to the kaon momentum
3-momentum: yes.

mfb said:
You can do that, but there are easier approaches, especially with the energy.
Once you have that, you know the speed of the pion in the kaon rest frame. You also know the speed of one pion in the lab frame (0). You can find the relative speed between the frames that way.
3-momentum: yes.

So i calculated the pion velocity by rearranging for v and got 0.829c.

I tried to use the lorentz transform for velocity to find the frame velocity but since the lab frame pion velocity is 0 it just ended up cancelling to 0.829c anyway.

v=(u-u')/(1-u*u'/c^2)

You don't need fancy transformations. In the kaon frame, the pion moves at 0.829 c. The pion does not move relative to the lab, which means in the kaon frame, the lab also moves at 0.829 c (technically you can add the velocities 0.829 c and 0 c, but the result is obvious). Due to symmetry, this also has to be the speed of the kaon in the lab frame.

mfb said:
You don't need fancy transformations. In the kaon frame, the pion moves at 0.829 c. The pion does not move relative to the lab, which means in the kaon frame, the lab also moves at 0.829 c (technically you can add the velocities 0.829 c and 0 c, but the result is obvious). Due to symmetry, this also has to be the speed of the kaon in the lab frame.
that makes sense. thanks.
so to find the energy of the kaon in the lab frame do i just do gamma*m? (c=1)

Sure.

And if you look at the whole derivation, you'll note that you do not even need the velocity, the gamma factor is sufficient and easy to calculate.Beyond the scope of this problem, but related: If you reverse the time direction, you get a fixed-target collision between two identical particles, and the kaon becomes the center of mass energy.

Now that you've solved the problem, it wouldn't hurt to Lorentz transform the four-momenta in the kaon rest frame to see that one of the pions is indeed at rest, the kaon energy is just ##\gamma m_K##, and that the momentum of the other pion in the lab frame isn't simply ##2P_\pi##.

vela said:
Now that you've solved the problem, it wouldn't hurt to Lorentz transform the four-momenta in the kaon rest frame to see that one of the pions is indeed at rest, the kaon energy is just ##\gamma m_K##, and that the momentum of the other pion in the lab frame isn't simply ##2P_\pi##.
I'll do that. Thanks a lot guys

1. What is meson decay into two pions?

Meson decay into two pions is a type of particle decay in which a meson (a subatomic particle composed of a quark and an antiquark) breaks apart into two pions (the lightest and most stable hadron particle). This process is governed by the strong nuclear force.

2. Why does a meson decay into two pions?

A meson decays into two pions in order to release excess energy and achieve a more stable state. This is similar to how a radioactive atom decays to release energy and become more stable.

3. How is meson decay into two pions detected?

Meson decay into two pions can be detected through various particle detectors, such as bubble chambers or particle accelerators. These detectors can detect the presence of pions and track their paths, allowing scientists to analyze the decay process.

4. What is the significance of studying meson decay into two pions?

Studying meson decay into two pions can provide valuable insights into the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. It also helps to further our understanding of the strong nuclear force and the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. Can meson decay into two pions be controlled or manipulated?

No, meson decay into two pions is a natural process that cannot be controlled or manipulated by humans. However, scientists can study and observe this process in different conditions and energy levels, providing a better understanding of its dynamics.