Solving for Momentum in Pion Decay

In summary: Keep in mind that momentum is a vector quantity, so the negative sign on pe means that it is in the opposite direction of pv. In summary, the given rare decay of π+ → e+ + ve with mπ = 139.6 MeV/c2, mv ≈ 0, me+ = 0.511 MeV/c2, and pπ = 0 can be solved for the momentum of the positron, resulting in pv = 69.799 MeV/c and pe = -69.799 MeV/c.
lee_sarah76

Homework Statement

We are the given the rare decay:

π+ → e+ + ve

Also, we are given mπ = 139.6 MeV/c2, mv ≈ 0, me+ = 0.511 MeV/c2

And we are given that the decay starts with the pion at rest, so I took that to mean that pπ = 0

Solve for the momentum of the positron.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Momentum
Conservation of Energy
E2 = (pc)2 + (mc)2
E = mc2

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the fact that since the pion was at rest before decay, pπ = 0 so pe + pv = 0.

Then, also using the fact that the pion was at rest before decay I solved for its energy using the formula E = mc2, substituting mπ = 139.6 MeV/c2 getting that Ebefore = 139.6 MeV.

Ebefore = Eafter = Ee + Ev

(Ee)2 = (pec)2 + (mec2)2

And because the neutrino is massless:
Ev = pv*c

From before, since Ee + Ev = 139.6 MeV, I solved for Ee to get Ee =139.6 MeV - Ev.

Then I substituted pvc for Ev to get the equation:

(139.6 MeV - pvc)2 = (pec)2 + (mec2)2

The (pc)2 would cancel each other out, leaving:

-279.2pvc = -19487.8 MeV

So, pv = 69.799 MeV/c leaving pe = -69.799 MeV/c

My question is, is this right, or have I made some glaring mistakes in my method?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

1. What is momentum in pion decay?

Momentum in pion decay refers to the measure of the movement or motion of a pion particle, which is a type of subatomic particle. It is a vector quantity that describes the direction and speed of the particle's movement.

2. Why is it important to solve for momentum in pion decay?

Solving for momentum in pion decay allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of pion particles in various experimental settings. It also helps in determining the energy and mass of the particles, which are important for understanding the fundamental properties of matter.

3. How is momentum calculated in pion decay?

Momentum in pion decay is calculated using the formula p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity or speed of the particle. In some cases, the relativistic formula p = γmv may be used, where γ is the Lorentz factor.

4. What factors can affect momentum in pion decay?

Several factors can affect the momentum of pion particles in decay, including the mass and energy of the particles, the angle of emission, and any external forces acting on the particles. The type of decay process and the particles involved also play a role in determining the momentum.

5. How is momentum conserved in pion decay?

In pion decay, the total momentum of the particles before and after the decay process must be equal. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum. It means that the sum of the momenta of all the particles involved in the decay must be the same before and after the process, even if the particles have different masses or velocities.