Can multiple layers of thin films increase infrared light absorption?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of multiple layers of thin films to increase absorption of infrared and x-ray spectra on certain surfaces. It is mentioned that using different materials with varying refractive indices can increase absorption, but for x-rays, materials may not function as effective media. The possibility of using Anderson localization tricks or thicker layers is also mentioned for x-rays. The conversation ends with a discussion on the use of high atomic number materials for x-ray shielding and the different processes that dominate for infrared and x-ray absorption.
hagopbul
hello :

i have a small question , can we use multi layer thin films to increase absorption of infrared spectrum , on certain surface , ?

taking in mind that we use the same kind of thin film for each layer .
is that possible ?

best
hagop

Physics news on Phys.org
You can certainly increase absorption by using thin layers of different materials. What matters is change in refractive index. This is quite similar to anti-reflection coating, however you would have to use lossy optical materials for your anti-reflection coating to get absorption (as opposed to transmission)

What about x-rays

In x-rays materials do not respond as effective media anymore, so the above approach will probably fail. Materials still scatter x-rays, so maybe one can try Anderson localization tricks, i.e. send x-rays at disordered media such as glass. Or simply use thicker layers. This is all on the level of a hypothesis, I do not work with x-rays.

But if the thickness of the thin-film is near the wave length of the x-ray incoming wave ?

x-ray wavelength is on the scale of few Angstrom. Does it make sense to talk about electromagnetic media of such thickness? There is graphene and other 2d materials, but I would not call them electromagnetic media.

Multiple stack of thin films of that thickness

Initially it was infrared, then x-ray, then single-wavelength thick layer, now many layers ... Is there anything specific you are after?

You answered the infra red question,then you indicated that single layer is not going to effect (the question of single layer was not clear my mistake) ,
But in case of multiple layers if they are thin enough that what I was wondering about or asking about

hagopbul said:
You answered the infra red question,then you indicated that single layer is not going to effect (the question of single layer was not clear my mistake) ,
But in case of multiple layers if they are thin enough that what I was wondering about or asking about
Not particularly. Typically, for x-ray shielding bulk amounts of lead or other high atomic number materials, such as tungsten-filled polymers are used.
For infrared absorption the absorption process would typically be a band-to-band transition or the excitation of a vibrational/rotational mode.
As x-rays are much higher energy, different processes dominate (for instance the generation of secondary electrons and the subsequent bremsstrahlung). In principle, you can have high-absorption if the x-ray energy is at an absorption edge of the material in question, however you would still generate ionising radiation via Auger processes and bremsstrahlung.

Likes hagopbul

What is infrared light?

Infrared light is a type of electromagnetic radiation with longer wavelengths than visible light. It is not visible to the human eye, but can be detected by specialized equipment.

Why is it important to capture infrared light?

Capturing infrared light allows us to gather information about the temperature and composition of objects that emit this type of radiation. It also has many practical applications, such as in thermal imaging and remote sensing.

How do we capture infrared light?

Infrared light can be captured using specialized equipment such as infrared cameras or sensors. These devices are designed to detect and measure the infrared radiation emitted by objects.

What are the potential uses of capturing infrared light?

Capturing infrared light has many applications in various fields, including astronomy, medicine, and military technology. It can also be used in everyday devices such as TV remote controls and motion sensors.

Is capturing infrared light safe?

Yes, capturing infrared light is generally considered safe. It is a non-ionizing form of radiation, meaning it does not have enough energy to cause harm to living cells. However, it is always important to follow safety precautions when using equipment that emits or detects infrared light.