Can neutrinos cause Cherenkov radiation?

In summary, Cherenkov radiation is caused when charged particles travel faster than the speed of light in a medium, and neutrinos do not have an electric charge. However, when neutrinos interact with particles in a medium, the outgoing charged particles can produce Cherenkov radiation. The first experiment to search for proton decay also used a water Cherenkov detector and famously detected neutrinos from Supernova 1987a. It is theorized that if neutrinos were superluminal, they would emit a "Cherenkov-like radiation" which would shift their spectrum to lower energy values.
Ralphonsicus
If I'm correct, Cherenkov radiation is caused when particle moves faster than light in a certain medium. Can neutrinos, say, traveling through water, cause Cherenkov radiation then? Or is there a property of neutrinos which prevents that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Neutrinos do not have an electric charge.

Ah yes there's a problem. But I think I remember reading that they can indirectly cause Cherenkov radiation? I think an electron was involved.

"I think I remember reading" is not something we can find ourselves to figure out what you are talking about. If you want to argue that the answer you got is wrong, you're going to have to do better than that.

When a neutrino interacts, the outgoing charged particles can produce Cherenkov radiation.

The first experiment to search for proton decay used a water Cherenkov detector. It never found any proton decay, but it turned out to be very useful for studying neutrinos. Most famously, it detected some of the neutrinos from Supernova 1987a:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jcv/imb/imbp4.html

There's a picture showing the "ring" of Cherenkov radiation produced by a positron which was in turn produced by an antineutrino interaction in the detector.

Also, Ralphonsicus, it's remarkably easy to find the answer to questions like this on your own. Just type "neutrino Cherenkov" into Google, and you'll come up with 1.5 million hits.

You got lucky that someone could make a good guess as to what you were asking about. I was in grad school at Michigan while that experiment was being built. I heard a lot about it when that group gave colloquia to report on their progress, so it came to my mind immediately when I saw "neutrino" and "Cherenkov" together.

The by products of neutrino interactions (charged leptons) emit Cherenkov radiation when they have speed > speed of light in the medium they propagate.
NOW, if you want to discuss Cherenkov radiation in vacuo of apparent superluminal neutrinos (such as those proposed by OPERA some months ago), back then the most promising theoretical idea about why neutrinos should NOT be superluminal, was that if they were they would have emitted "Cherenkov-like radiation" which would shift their spectrum to lower energy values than this of the emission spectrum of theirs (Glashow and Georgi were the authors I think).
Adding up to the others , I would suggest that you try to be more specific:)

1. What is Cherenkov radiation?

Cherenkov radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted when a charged particle, such as an electron, travels through a medium at a speed faster than the speed of light in that medium.

2. Can neutrinos cause Cherenkov radiation?

Yes, neutrinos can cause Cherenkov radiation under certain conditions. Neutrinos are electrically neutral particles, so they do not emit Cherenkov radiation directly. However, if a neutrino interacts with a medium, it can produce charged particles that can then emit Cherenkov radiation.

3. How do neutrinos interact with a medium to produce Cherenkov radiation?

Neutrinos can interact with a medium through weak interactions, which are mediated by the weak force. These interactions can result in the production of charged particles, such as electrons, that can then emit Cherenkov radiation as they travel through the medium faster than the speed of light.

4. Are there any specific conditions required for neutrinos to produce Cherenkov radiation?

Yes, there are certain conditions that must be met for neutrinos to produce Cherenkov radiation. The neutrinos must have a high enough energy to produce interactions with the medium, and the medium must also have a high enough refractive index to allow for the emission of Cherenkov radiation.

5. Why is Cherenkov radiation important in the study of neutrinos?

Cherenkov radiation is important in the study of neutrinos because it can provide information about the interactions of neutrinos with matter. By detecting the Cherenkov radiation produced by charged particles created by neutrino interactions, scientists can learn more about the properties and behavior of neutrinos, which are still not well understood.