Can neutrinos travel faster than light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of neutrinos and whether they can travel faster than the speed of light. It is mentioned that there were previous experiments that claimed they could, but these were found to be due to errors in the experiment setup. It is also noted that no matter can travel faster than the speed of light, as confirmed by the OPERA experiment in 2011.
Ysara
Hello everyone
This is my first post and I am interested in the question about neutrinos... I have many questions that I would love to have answered but I'll stick to the question of whether they can travel faster than light or not... ( please bear with me as I am returning to physics after a long absence )

Thank you
Ysara

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No, neutrinos do not travel faster than the speed of light.

No, they do not travel faster than the speed of light. And if you're thinking about the OPERA anomaly in 2011, the experiment results were errors due to a faulty timing system (press release here (CERN), paper here).

Last edited:
Thank you both for your replies. :)

There were experiments that said they could, but these turned out to be due to errors in the experiment setup.

Pds3.14 said:
There were experiments that said they could, but these turned out to be due to errors in the experiment setup.

When responding in a thread, it's wise to read all the previous responses. You have simply said the same thing as DennisN, but not as well.

No matter can go faster than the speed of light. But the the experiment that DennisN talked about did shock a few people :D

1. Can neutrinos travel faster than light?

This question has been a topic of scientific debate and research for many years. The short answer is no, according to the current understanding of physics and the laws of the universe. However, there have been some experiments and findings that have suggested otherwise, leading to further investigation and discussion.

2. What are neutrinos and how do they relate to the speed of light?

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that have very little mass and no electric charge. They are constantly moving at very high speeds, but their exact speed is still being studied and measured. The speed of light, on the other hand, is considered to be the fastest possible speed in the universe and is a fundamental constant in physics. It is believed that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

3. What evidence is there for or against neutrinos traveling faster than light?

In 2011, the OPERA experiment at CERN reported that they had observed neutrinos traveling faster than the speed of light. However, this result was later found to be due to a faulty measurement. Other experiments, such as the MINOS and T2K experiments, have consistently shown that neutrinos travel at or below the speed of light. This evidence supports the current understanding that neutrinos cannot exceed the speed of light.

4. Is it possible for neutrinos to travel faster than light in certain conditions or circumstances?

While there is no evidence to suggest that neutrinos can travel faster than light, some theories do propose the idea of particles called tachyons that can travel faster than light. However, these theories are still highly speculative and have not been supported by experimental evidence. It is also important to note that the laws of physics, including the speed of light, apply to all particles and in all conditions.

5. What are the implications if neutrinos were able to travel faster than light?

If it were proven that neutrinos could travel faster than light, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the laws of physics and the nature of the universe. It could challenge the theory of relativity and open up new possibilities for space travel and communication. However, until there is concrete evidence to support this idea, it remains a topic of speculation and further investigation.