Can not find correct green's function

In summary, the problem is to find the potential inside a cylindrical section with a grounded metal housing, given a long wire with constant charge density. The potential equation can be solved using the green's function method as solving it with separation of variables is more complicated.
t387

Homework Statement

We have long wire with constant charge density that is put inside a grounded metal housing with a shape of cylindrical section (a ≤ r ≤ b and 0 ≤ ϕ ≤ α). We need to find potential inside the box.

2. Homework Equations

Δf=-(μ/ε0)*∂^2(r), where μ is linear charge density [As/m], ε0 is Vacuum permittivity, f is the potential (Δ is laplace operator) and ∂^2(r) is two-dimensional delta function.

f (a ≤ r ≤ b and 0 ≤ ϕ ≤ α) = 0

green's function for ΔG =∂^2(r),two dimensions and no boundary conditions:

G(r,r0)=(1/2*pi)*ln|r-r0|

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to solve the problem with green's function since it seems that solving this problem with separation of variables is too complicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
t387 said:
I am trying to solve the problem with green's function
Please show what you have attempted so far

Apart from what @Dale said, can you argue for why you think this is more difficult to solve using orthogonal functions?

1. How do I know which Green's function to use for my problem?

The Green's function that you should use depends on the type of differential equation that you are trying to solve. Generally, for linear differential equations, you can use the standard Green's function, while for non-linear equations, you may need to use a modified Green's function. It is important to carefully analyze your problem and choose the appropriate Green's function.

2. Can I use the same Green's function for different boundary conditions?

No, the boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the Green's function for a particular problem. Changing the boundary conditions will result in a different Green's function. Therefore, it is important to ensure that the Green's function you are using corresponds to your specific boundary conditions.

3. Are there any alternative methods to finding the Green's function?

Yes, there are several alternative methods for finding the Green's function, such as the method of images, separation of variables, and integral transforms. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of problems and can provide different forms of the Green's function.

4. Can I approximate the Green's function if I can't find the exact solution?

Yes, in some cases where finding the exact solution is not possible, you can use approximation techniques to find an approximate Green's function. These techniques include numerical methods like finite difference or finite element methods. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of these approximations may vary depending on the complexity of the problem.

5. How do I check if I have correctly found the Green's function?

The best way to check if you have correctly found the Green's function is to use it to solve the original differential equation. If the solution obtained matches the desired boundary conditions and behaves as expected, then it is likely that you have found the correct Green's function. It is also helpful to compare your results with previously known solutions or consult with other experts in the field.