Can one call a linear order a lattice? If not

In summary, the three ideas do not fit together, so one is wrong. The truth values of a logic are arranged in a lattice, and there exist probability logics.
nomadreid
Gold Member
Can one call a linear order a lattice? If not...

I have problems putting together the three ideas
(1) the meets and joins of a lattice are unique, hence lattices must have discrete elements
(2) the truth values of a logic are arranged in a lattice
(3) there exist probability logics, whereby each truth value is a probability which can be any real number between 0 and 1, inclusive.
These three do not seem to fit together, so which one is wrong?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
I have problems putting together the three ideas
(1) the meets and joins of a lattice are unique,

OK

hence lattices must have discrete elements

Why does that follow? And what do you mean with discrete elements?

And yes, any linear order is a lattice. So ##\mathbb{R}## is a lattice.

micromass, thanks for the answer. I must have been brain dead in writing that question, as I was somehow thinking of the meet of a and b being less than rather than less than or equal to a and b.
By discrete elements I meant separate elements (Hausdorff); another symptom of brain death.
Thanks for reviving me. I promise to be a good zombie.
Actually, I was trying to work my way up to a slightly more involved question, that of whether any partial order on S can be extended to a lattice so that no new elements are added and the order stays the same. (The specific one I was thinking of was partially ordering complex numbers with modulus less than or equal to 1, whereby the partial order is defined by: a+bi < c+di iff a2+b2 < c2+d2 (essentially concentric circles). But I do not think it can be turned into a lattice.)

You can always extend the partial order to a linear order. So yes, in particular you can extend your order to a lattice. This can be proven using Zorn's lemma.

In your specific case, all you need to do is define some ordering on the circles. This can be done in many ways (but none of them are very natural). Once you have done that, you will have a linear order on ##\mathbb{C}##.

thanks again, micromass.
True, it would be easy enough to just say z1 < z2 iff
[either
||z1||< ||z2||
or
(||z1||= ||z2|| & angle 1-0-z1 < 1-0-z2)].

Related to Can one call a linear order a lattice? If not

1. Can a linear order be considered a lattice?

No, a linear order cannot be considered a lattice. A lattice is a partially ordered set in which every pair of elements has a unique supremum and infimum. A linear order, on the other hand, only requires that the elements can be arranged in a linear sequence.

2. What is the difference between a linear order and a lattice?

The main difference between a linear order and a lattice is that a lattice has additional properties that a linear order does not. A lattice must have a unique supremum and infimum for every pair of elements, and must also satisfy the associative and commutative properties of the supremum and infimum operations.

3. Can a linear order be converted into a lattice?

No, a linear order cannot be converted into a lattice. A lattice is a more specific type of partially ordered set, and a linear order does not have the necessary properties to be considered a lattice.

4. Are there any examples of linear orders that are also lattices?

Yes, there are some examples of linear orders that can also be considered lattices. One example is the set of integers with the usual ordering, as it satisfies all the properties of a lattice. However, not all linear orders will also be lattices.

5. How are linear orders and lattices used in mathematics?

Linear orders and lattices are important concepts in mathematics as they provide a way to organize and compare elements in a set. They have applications in various fields such as computer science, economics, and topology, and are used to study properties of sets and functions.