Can Properties of Sigma Notation Prove Equivalence of Two Sums?

Now I get it... :smile:In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that two sums are equal using sigma notation and the properties of sigma notation. One way to prove this is by expanding the notation and simplifying it. Another way is to match the terms in each sum and use an alternate variable for the index.
songoku

Homework Statement

Prove that:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{14} 10n = \sum_{n=1}^{7} (20n+70)[/tex]

Homework Equations

properties of sigma notation

The Attempt at a Solution

I know several properties of sigma notation but none that I know can be used to prove this. I don't know how to change 10 n to 20 n

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What properties do you know of sigma notation?

hint: there's exactly twice as many terms in one sum as in the other sum :wink:

songoku said:

Homework Statement

Prove that:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{14} 10n = \sum_{n=1}^{7} (20n+70)[/tex]

Homework Equations

properties of sigma notation

The Attempt at a Solution

I know several properties of sigma notation but none that I know can be used to prove this. I don't know how to change 10 n to 20 n

Thanks

Sigma notation is a shorthand that helps you to write things in a more compact form, and is very useful once you have grasped what is being asked. However, if you have not yet understood what is being asked, or what has been written, the sigma notation is just getting in the way. It would be better in this case to write out in detail both sides of what was written above, but NOT using sigma notation. That way, you can understand what, exactly, you are being asked to do. After you understand these matters better, THEN you can start to switch back to using sigma notation, to save space, etc.

RGV

micromass said:
What properties do you know of sigma notation?
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{r}c = cr ; c = constant[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{r}c.p_n=c\sum_{n=1}^{r}p_n[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{r} (p_n+q_n)=\sum_{n=1}^{r}p_n+\sum_{n=1}^{r}q_n[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{r}p(n)=\sum_{n=1+s}^{r+s}p(n-s)[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{r}p_n=\sum_{n=1}^{m}p_n+\sum_{n=m+1}^{r}p_n[/tex]

tiny-tim said:
hint: there's exactly twice as many terms in one sum as in the other sum :wink:
Hm...sorry I don't know how to use your hint...:shy:

Ray Vickson said:
Sigma notation is a shorthand that helps you to write things in a more compact form, and is very useful once you have grasped what is being asked. However, if you have not yet understood what is being asked, or what has been written, the sigma notation is just getting in the way. It would be better in this case to write out in detail both sides of what was written above, but NOT using sigma notation. That way, you can understand what, exactly, you are being asked to do. After you understand these matters better, THEN you can start to switch back to using sigma notation, to save space, etc.

RGV
Not sure what you mean but let me try

Expand the LHS:
10 + 20 + ... + 140
= (20 + 40 + 60 + 80 + ... + 140) + (10 + 30 + 50 + ... + 130)
[tex]=\sum_{n=1}^{7}20n + 70.7[/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{n=1}^{7}(20n+70)[/tex]

But I seriously doubt the validity of my work...

Thanks

hi songoku! :smile:
songoku said:
Hm...sorry I don't know how to use your hint...:shy:

there's 14 terms on the left, and 7 on the right …

so try putting the 14 terms into 7 pairs of 2 terms, so that each pair adds to the correct amount :wink:

(eg, {1,2},{3,4}etc or {1,14}{2,13}etc or … :wink:)

tiny-tim said:

there's 14 terms on the left, and 7 on the right …

so try putting the 14 terms into 7 pairs of 2 terms, so that each pair adds to the correct amount :wink:

(eg, {1,2},{3,4}etc or {1,14}{2,13}etc or … :wink:)

hi tiny tim :smile:

So it is basically the same as what I have done in post #5?

Is there another way to prove it without expanding the sigma notation? I mean just using the properties such as changing the upper and lower bound or other properties

Thanks

songoku said:
So it is basically the same as what I have done in post #5?

you mean …
songoku said:
10 + 20 + ... + 140
= (20 + 40 + 60 + 80 + ... + 140) + (10 + 30 + 50 + ... + 130)
[tex]=\sum_{n=1}^{7}20n + 70.7[/tex]

i don't see how you got that last line :confused:

try writing the LHS on one line (in numbers, in full), and the RHS on the next line, and then just connecting up anything that adds up :smile:
Is there another way to prove it without expanding the sigma notation? I mean just using the properties such as changing the upper and lower bound or other properties

yes, but you need to find what to do first before you can put in into proper maths :wink:

hi tiny-tim :smile:
tiny-tim said:
hi songoku! :smile:you mean …i don't see how you got that last line :confused:

try writing the LHS on one line (in numbers, in full), and the RHS on the next line, and then just connecting up anything that adds up :smile:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{14}10n[/tex]
[tex]= (20 + 40 + 60 + 80 + ... + 140) + (10 + 30 + 50 + ... + 130)[/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{n=1}^{7}(20n) + (10+130) + (30+110)+(50+90)+70[/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{n=1}^{7}(20n) + 140 + 140 + 140 + 70[/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{n=1}^{7}(20) + 70 + 70 + 70 + 70 + 70 + 70 + 70[/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{n=1}^{7}(20n) + 7.70[/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{n=1}^{7}(20n+70)[/tex]

Is this valid? And how to prove it without expanding?

Thanks

yes, that's certainly valid :smile:

to put that into symbolic language, try replacing the index n (from 1 to 14) by m (from 1 to 7), so that you use 2m for the even numbers and 2m±1 for the odd numbers :wink:

(another way to see the result, which i was thinking of at the start, is to match:
10 + 20 + 30 + 40 + 50 + 60 + 70 +
80 + 90 + 100+110+120+130+140

90 +110 + 130+150+170+190+210 :wink:)​

Hi tiny-tim :smile:

Sorry for late reply. Thanks a lot for all the help

1. What is sigma notation?

Sigma notation, also known as summation notation, is a mathematical shorthand used to represent the sum of a series of numbers. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and includes a lower and upper limit, as well as an expression to be evaluated with each term in the series.

2. How do you prove a sigma notation?

In order to prove a sigma notation, you must use mathematical induction. This involves proving that the statement holds true for the first term in the series, and then showing that if it holds true for any arbitrary term, it also holds true for the next term in the series. This process is repeated until the statement is proven for all terms in the series.

3. What is the purpose of using sigma notation?

Sigma notation allows for a concise way to represent a series of numbers, especially when the series has a large number of terms. It also allows for easier manipulation and evaluation of the series, making it a useful tool in many mathematical and scientific calculations.

4. Can sigma notation be used for any type of series?

Yes, sigma notation can be used for any type of series, including arithmetic, geometric, and infinite series. It is a versatile notation that can be applied to a wide range of mathematical concepts and calculations.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using sigma notation?

One common mistake when using sigma notation is forgetting to include the upper and lower limits, which can significantly change the value of the series. It is also important to make sure the expression used in the notation is correct and consistent with the terms in the series.