Can Q(sqrt a + sqrt b) be equal to Q(sqrt a, sqrt b) in abstract algebra?

In summary, the conversation discusses the field extension question in abstract algebra, specifically regarding the equality of Q(sqrt a + sqrt b) and Q(sqrt a, sqrt b). The speaker mentions proving that the degree of the extensions is 2 for non-perfect squares and 1 for perfect squares, and that the basis of Q(sqrt a, sqrt b) is {1, sqrt a, sqrt b, sqrt (ab)}. They also ask for thoughts on solving the problem and whether they are on the right track. The responder agrees with some of their points and suggests considering powers of (sqrt(a)+sqrt(b)) to show the containment of Q(sqrt(a),sqrt(b)) in Q(sqrt(a)+sqrt(b)).
crappyjones
field extension question (abstract algebra)

Homework Statement

For any positive integers a, b, show that Q(sqrt a + sqrt b) = Q(sqrt a, sqrt b).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i proved that [Q(sqrt a):Q] for all n belonging to Z+ is 2 whenever a is not a perfect square and 1 when it is. also, for Q(sqrt a, sqrt b) i found the minimal polynomial to be (x2-a-b)2 - 4ab. for Q(sqrt a + sqrt b), i found the minimal polynomial to be x4 - 2ax2 - 2bx2 + a2 + b2 - 2ab.

i can show that both extensions have degree 4 (for both a and b non perfect squares, 3 for when either a or b is a perfect square, 2 for when both a and b are perfect squares) and that the basis of Q(sqrt a, sqrt b) is {1, sqrt a, sqrt b, sqrt (ab)}.

any thoughts on how to solve this problem? am i on the right track? completely off? any comments on what i am doing would be appreciated as well.

thanks,

cj.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can agree with some stuff you are saying. Not everything. I would say, for example, that the extension where a and b are perfect squares has degree 1. I.e. it's not really an extension at all. sqrt(a) and sqrt(b) are then rational. Q(sqrt(a),sqrt(b)) is just Q. But to go back to the original question, it should be pretty obvious that Q(sqrt(a)+sqrt(b)) is contained in Q(sqrt(a),sqrt(b)), right? Can you say why? The harder job is to show that Q(sqrt(a),sqrt(b)) is contained in Q(sqrt(a)+sqrt(b)). You need to show that sqrt(a), sqrt(b) and sqrt(ab) are contained in Q(sqrt(a)+sqrt(b)). Consider powers of (sqrt(a)+sqrt(b)).

Related to Can Q(sqrt a + sqrt b) be equal to Q(sqrt a, sqrt b) in abstract algebra?

1. What is a field extension?

A field extension is a mathematical concept used in abstract algebra to describe the relationship between two fields. It occurs when one field contains another field as a subfield, meaning that all the elements of the smaller field also exist in the larger field.

2. How is a field extension denoted?

A field extension is typically denoted by writing the larger field followed by a colon and the smaller field, such as F:E. This means that E is a subfield of F.

3. What is the degree of a field extension?

The degree of a field extension is the dimension of the larger field over the smaller field. It is denoted by [F:E] and represents the number of basis elements needed to generate the larger field.

4. What is a simple field extension?

A simple field extension is a field extension with a degree of 1, meaning that the larger field is generated by a single element of the smaller field. In other words, the larger field is equal to the smaller field adjoined with one element.

5. How are field extensions used in mathematics?

Field extensions are used in various branches of mathematics, including number theory, algebraic geometry, and algebraic topology. They allow for the study of abstract algebraic structures and provide a foundation for many other mathematical concepts, such as Galois theory and algebraic extensions.