Can Quantum Entanglement Be Blocked

In summary: More than likely this was an article in Popular Science, or Popular Mechanics; however this was so long ago I can't be sure.
coljohnhannibal
Hello,

It's my understanding that the US can control Quantum Entanglement up to a distance of 89 miles. Can this be shielded against, like EMF can be shielded against; and what materials are necessary?

Thanks, John

Physics news on Phys.org
You can destroy entanglement by measuring one of the entangled objects (or just remove the setup that carefully preserves entanglement, and the environment will do that over time), but you cannot put anything "in between" because there is no physical connection between (in terms of space) those particles.

Is there a clever way to do your first suggestion, with myself as the target?

Thanks, John

coljohnhannibal said:
It's my understanding that the US can control Quantum Entanglement up to a distance of 89 miles.

Where did you hear this? Either your source is bogus or you have misunderstood what they're saying, but it's impossible to know which unless we know what it is.

This thread will be closed unless you can tell us more about where you heard this.

Here's the information you asked for:

(Free space entanglement of photons has been confirmed in experiments between the Canary Islands of La Palma and Tenerife, a distance of 143 km. See Herbst et al 2014, in the Other Internet Resources.) 143km = 89 miles.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qt-entangle/

11th paragraph.

Thanks, John

coljohnhannibal said:
Is there a clever way to do your first suggestion, with myself as the target?

You can't be the target. You are a decoherent system that cannot be entangled with another system. The experiment you are referring to entangled 2 photons, not people.

Likes bhobba
coljohnhannibal said:

Got it - thanks. There's much less here than it sounds like...
It's my understanding that the US can control Quantum Entanglement up to a distance of 89 miles.

No one, not the US or anyone else, is controlling the entanglement. When an entangled pair is created, they stay entangled until either member of the pair interacts with anything else. What these scientists have done is allowed the photons to separate by 89 miles before either one hits something. There's nothing to shield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Can a large stream of photons be entangled and used to carry information, such as television and radio messages are now. I read several years ago that this was done in Switzerland with a bank transaction and that the technique used was referred to as Quantum Teleportation.

Thanks, John

coljohnhannibal said:
Can a large stream of photons be entangled and used to carry information, such as television and radio messages are now.
Quantum entanglement alone cannot be used to carry information. It can be used in conjunction with traditional communication technologies to improve the security of information carried on traditional ways.

I read several years ago that this was done in Switzerland with a bank transaction and that the technique used was referred to as Quantum Teleportation.
You're doing it again! Where did you read this?

Nugatory said:
You're doing it again! Where did you read this?
I guess he's referring to the quantum cryptography link under lake Geneva:
http://www.unige.ch/gap/qtech/_media/publications:bib:muller95.pdf

DrClaude said:
I guess he's referring to the quantum cryptography link under lake Geneva:
http://www.unige.ch/gap/qtech/_media/publications:bib:muller95.pdf

Yep, that was my guess as well... But it would still be good to know exactly which article, as some of the popular press articles are slightly less appalling better than others.

Hello,

More than likely this was an article in Popular Science, or Popular Mechanics; however this was so long ago I can't be sure.

Thanks, John

Related to Can Quantum Entanglement Be Blocked

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in a way that their properties are dependent on each other, even when separated by large distances. This means that if one particle's state is changed, the other particle's state will change instantaneously, regardless of how far apart they are.

2. Can quantum entanglement be blocked?

There is currently no known way to block quantum entanglement. This is because it is a fundamental property of the quantum world and is not affected by physical barriers or obstacles.

3. Why would someone want to block quantum entanglement?

Some scientists are exploring ways to manipulate or control quantum entanglement in order to enhance communication and computing technologies. However, there may also be potential applications for blocking quantum entanglement, such as in quantum cryptography to ensure secure communication.

4. Is it possible for quantum entanglement to be blocked in the future?

As our understanding of quantum mechanics and technology continues to advance, it is possible that we may discover ways to manipulate or control quantum entanglement. However, at this point in time, it is not possible to block quantum entanglement.

5. Can quantum entanglement be used for faster-than-light communication?

No, quantum entanglement cannot be used for faster-than-light communication. While the effects of entanglement may seem instantaneous, they do not violate the speed of light as no information is actually being transmitted between the particles. The effects of entanglement are limited by the speed of light, just like any other physical phenomenon.