Can Relativistic Matter Exist At Absolute Zero? - Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of absolute zero and its implications on the existence of relativistic matter and particles. It is clarified that particles still have rest energy at absolute zero, but reaching absolute zero is problematic in quantum contexts.
James William Hall
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
A question about relativistic matter
If it were possible to obtain absolute zero, could relativistic matter exist when classical momentum would be zero? Would a particle cease to exist? I can't do the math. Thank you for reading my question.

Space news on Phys.org
I presume you are thinking of the rest energy/rest mass of a particle and have read that particles have no energy at absolute zero. The latter is incorrect - absolute zero just means no thermal energy, i.e. that all an object's particles are at rest with respect to each other, and not rotating or vibrating or anything like that. Rest energy (including mass, chemical potential, etc) would remain.

There are problems with reaching absolute zero even in principle once you introduce quantum theory, but there's no logical problem with it in non-quantum contexts.

Last edited:
Likes PeterDonis and PeroK
Ibix said:
I presume you are thinking of the rest energy/rest mass of a particle and have read that particles have no energy at absolute zero. The latter is incorrect - absolute zero just means no thermal energy, i.e. that all an object's particles are at rest with respect to each other, and not rotating or vibrating or anything like that. Rest energy (including mass, chemical potential, etc) would remain.

There are problems with reaching absolute zero even in principle once you introduce quantum theory, but there's no logical problem with it in non-quantum contexts.
Thank you, Ibix.

1. What is relativistic matter?

Relativistic matter refers to any type of matter that is moving at speeds close to the speed of light. This type of matter exhibits properties that are described by Einstein's theory of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction.

2. Can relativistic matter exist at absolute zero?

No, relativistic matter cannot exist at absolute zero. At absolute zero, all motion and energy in a substance ceases, making it impossible for matter to reach relativistic speeds.

3. Why is it impossible for relativistic matter to exist at absolute zero?

According to the laws of thermodynamics, it is impossible for matter to reach absolute zero because it would require an infinite amount of energy to remove all motion and energy from a substance. Additionally, at absolute zero, the speed of light cannot be reached, which is a key component of relativistic matter.

4. Are there any exceptions where relativistic matter can exist at absolute zero?

No, there are no known exceptions where relativistic matter can exist at absolute zero. However, there are some theoretical scenarios, such as the existence of exotic particles, where relativistic effects may still be observed at temperatures close to absolute zero.

5. What are the implications of relativistic matter not being able to exist at absolute zero?

This limitation has significant implications in the field of physics, as it means that certain phenomena, such as time dilation and length contraction, cannot occur at absolute zero. This also affects our understanding of the behavior of matter at extreme temperatures and speeds.