Can Scientists Capture Images of Distant Stars Like Betelgeuse?

In summary, scientists have been able to resolve the disks of distant stars, including Betelguese, using optical interferometry techniques. These images have high resolution and can be considered "normal" photographs. For an example, one can view a picture of Betelguese in red light at the provided link.
thetexan
Have scientists ever been able to resolve the disk of a distant star in a photograph besides our own sun?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The discs of a number of stars have been resolved used optical interfereometry. COAST is one example.

Has there been any normal photograph of a star disk...not infrared or other unusual method...just a simple hi rez normal photograph of a star disk. If so, please give a link to the image.

thanks
tex

Interfereometry images have very high resolution compared to ordinary photographic images. The effective aperature of the collector is many times greater than possible using any single aperature instrument.

thetexan said:
Has there been any normal photograph of a star disk...not infrared or other unusual method...just a simple hi rez normal photograph of a star disk. If so, please give a link to the image.

thanks
tex

What Chronos is saying is that an image done using interferomety is just as "normal" as a normal photograph. The ability to get higher resolution is comparable to a camera with a bigger megapixel count and a better lens.

If you go to the following length you can see a picture of Betelguese in Red light.

http://www.mrao.cam.ac.uk/telescopes/coast/betel.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What equipment do I need for star photography?

To capture stunning images of stars, you will need a DSLR camera with manual settings, a sturdy tripod, and a fast wide-angle lens (with a low aperture number) to capture as much light as possible. You may also want to consider using a remote shutter release to minimize camera shake and a star tracker for longer exposures.

2. Where is the best place to take photos of stars?

The best location for star photography is a dark sky area with little to no light pollution. This could be a rural area or a designated dark sky park. You will also want to check for clear weather conditions and minimal cloud cover.

3. What camera settings should I use for star photography?

For star photography, you will want to use manual settings on your camera. Set your ISO to a high number (usually between 1600-3200), your aperture to the lowest possible number, and your shutter speed to a longer exposure time (usually 20-30 seconds). You may need to adjust these settings depending on the amount of light pollution and the brightness of the stars.

4. How do I focus on stars in my photos?

Focusing on stars can be tricky, especially in low light conditions. One method is to manually focus your lens to infinity. You can also use the live view mode on your camera to zoom in on a bright star and manually adjust the focus until it appears sharp. Another technique is to use a flashlight to illuminate an object in the distance and focus on that before switching to manual focus and taking your star photos.

5. Can I take star photos with my smartphone?

While smartphones have improved their camera capabilities, they may not be the best option for star photography. Most smartphones do not have manual settings, which are necessary for capturing stars. However, you can try using a star tracking app to help you locate and take photos of stars with your smartphone.