Can Soft Hair Explain the Information Paradox on Black Holes?

In summary, the authors propose that soft hair on black holes stores information about the quantum state. They argue that this information cannot be excited in a physically realizable process, and that this effectively gives black holes an infinite number of degrees of freedom.
kodama
Soft Hair on Black Holes
Stephen W. Hawking, Malcolm J. Perry, Andrew Strominger
(Submitted on 5 Jan 2016)
It has recently been shown that BMS supertranslation symmetries imply an infinite number of conservation laws for all gravitational theories in asymptotically Minkowskian spacetimes. These laws require black holes to carry a large amount of soft (i.e. zero-energy) supertranslation hair. The presence of a Maxwell field similarly implies soft electric hair. This paper gives an explicit description of soft hair in terms of soft gravitons or photons on the black hole horizon, and shows that complete information about their quantum state is stored on a holographic plate at the future boundary of the horizon. Charge conservation is used to give an infinite number of exact relations between the evaporation products of black holes which have different soft hair but are otherwise identical. It is further argued that soft hair which is spatially localized to much less than a Planck length cannot be excited in a physically realizable process, giving an effective number of soft degrees of freedom proportional to the horizon area in Planck units.
Comments: 22 pages 2 figures
Subjects: High Energy Physics - Theory (hep-th)
Cite as: arXiv:1601.00921 [hep-th]
(or arXiv:1601.00921v1 [hep-th] for this version

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the paper promised by Stephan Hawking last August. Perhaps Marcus would like to see it.

MTd2 said:
It's the paper promised by Stephan Hawking last August. Perhaps Marcus would like to see it.
It is further argued that soft hair which is spatially localized to much less than a Planck length cannot be excited in a physically realizable process, giving an effective number of soft degrees of freedom proportional to the horizon area in Planck units.
sounds like LQG BH entropy

Bee Hossenfelder was at the August conference and has a reaction to the HPS paper at her blog.
http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2016/01/more-information-emerges-about-new.html
At the end she says:
"In summary, I am not at all convinced that the new idea proposed by Hawking, Perry, and Strominger solves the information loss problem. But it seems an interesting avenue that is worth further exploration. And I am sure we will see further exploration..."

Last edited:
marcus said:
Bee Hossenfelder was at the August conference and has a reaction to the HPS paper at her blog.
http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2016/01/more-information-emerges-about-new.html
At the end she says:
"In summary, I am not at all convinced that the new idea proposed by Hawking, Perry, and Strominger solves the information loss problem. But it seems an interesting avenue that is worth further exploration. And I am sure we will see further exploration..."

To be fair, Perry isn't convinced of that, either. I don't know the others' opinions, but I think the paper is fairly conservatively-stated. Indeed, the conclusions end with

A complete description of the holographic plate and resolution of the information paradox remains an open challenge, which we have new concrete tools to address.

Malcolm will be giving some talks here in a few weeks to explain the paper to those of us who have not worked with the BMS group before. I'm looking forward to it.

Edit: Andy is here and is apparently giving a talk on Monday, so we'll be hearing loads about this paper. :P

Last edited:

What is "Soft Hair" on Black Holes?

"Soft hair" on black holes refers to a theoretical concept in physics that proposes that black holes may be surrounded by a layer of low-energy particles that carry information about the black hole's history. This layer of particles is thought to be responsible for preserving information that would otherwise be lost when matter falls into a black hole.

How is "Soft Hair" related to the Black Hole Information Paradox?

The Black Hole Information Paradox is a long-standing puzzle in physics that questions whether information can be destroyed when it falls into a black hole. "Soft hair" is one of the proposed solutions to this paradox, as it suggests that information may be preserved in the form of low-energy particles around the black hole.

Can "Soft Hair" be observed or detected?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of "soft hair" on black holes. However, some scientists believe that it may be possible to indirectly observe its effects through advanced gravitational wave detectors or by studying the Hawking radiation emitted by black holes.

How does "Soft Hair" affect our understanding of black holes?

If "soft hair" is proven to exist, it would significantly change our understanding of black holes and their role in the universe. It would also have implications for our understanding of information preservation in physics and the nature of space and time.

What is the current state of research on "Soft Hair" on Black Holes?

"Soft hair" is still a theoretical concept, and its existence has not been confirmed. Scientists are currently conducting research and experiments to try and detect its effects and gather evidence for its existence. The topic remains an active area of study and debate in the scientific community.