Can some liquid hand soaps smudge your eyeglass lenses?

In summary, Tom's control variables are water hardness level, eyeglasses with $700 USD Nikon SeeMax Ultimate lenses, and cleaning method. His eyeglasses remain smudged even when he uses different hand washes, and the culprit appears to be Ritz Carlton's liquid hand wash. He recommends using liquid dishwashing detergent and warm water, and shaking off excess water before drying.
12john
My control variables are
1. water hardness level, as I live in Florida, and I lodged at a Ritz Carlton also in Florida. I'm not, in any way, affiliated with any corporation herein. I'm not, in any way, affiliated with any corporation herein.
2. my eyeglasses with $700 USD Nikon SeeMax Ultimate lenses.
3. my cleaning method.
4. and my Nikon micro-fiber lens cleaning cloth.
Abx4B.jpg

When I lodged at the Ritz Carlton hotel, I used their liquid hand wash to dab my eyeglasses.
17EJP.jpg

But even when I used different bottles of this hand wash, after rinsing with the hotel's tap water, my eyeglasses remain smudged. I didn't take the images below, but they resemble my smudges.
YJeYW.jpg

p6r0C.jpg

TiObr.jpg

7dEM8.jpg

When I got home, I daubed some of my Method Gel Hand Soap Refill, Sweet Water on my Nikon lenses as usual. Then rinsing with my home's tap water cleansed the smudges.

Therefore Ritz Carlton's liquid hand wash appears to be the culprit for my smudges. But I never knew that some liquid hand washes can cause smudges?!? What do you chemists think?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am not surprised at all, liquid soaps often contain plenty of additives intended to moisturize/protect the skin.

Likes DaveE, russ_watters and Bystander
Beware: This may be a bad suggestion, but some glass cleaners, such as for use on windows, may clean the surfaces and leave no visible residue. Such cleaners may be bad for eye-glass lenses.

Likes russ_watters
Optics (glass) are typically coated with one/several of a variety of coatings that are not thick enough (microns) to affect focal length, but are terribly fragile mechanically; hence the "cloudiness/fogging" effects of various cleansers.

Likes symbolipoint
Since the smudging was temporary and removable by washing, it is likely that the smudges were from a lipid or oil added to the handwash as a "moisturizer."

Such additives are fairly common. Then the manufacturer can advertise that their soap "Leaves your skin silky smooth."

If you haven't already, you might want to wash the stuff out of the lens cloth too.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. To save some money on Lens Cleaning Solution for eyeglasses, use liquid dishwashing detergent, warm running water, and your fingers. It doesn't take much detergent, a light smear on your finger gets both lenses.
1) Wet lenses w/ warm water
2) Liquid Dish Detergent on wet finger (it takes very little)
3) Rub finger and thumb together
4) Lightly rub both wet lenses
5) Rinse
5a) repeat 1 thru 5 as needed​
6) Shake off excess water
7) Dry with lens cloth (or towel if you are brave :)))

p.p.s. Saliva makes a decent substitute for dish detergent and warm water. Just apply tongue to oily areas and wipe with a soft cloth. That has become my morning routine cleaning method, the quickest I've found so far. Not quite as obnoxious as it sounds as most smeared lenses are just due to body oil.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman
Bystander said:
Optics (glass) are typically coated with one/several of a variety of coatings that are not thick enough (microns) to affect focal length, but are terribly fragile mechanically; hence the "cloudiness/fogging" effects of various cleansers.
Yeah, that's why the last few pairs of glasses I've ordered have been without any added coatings. :wink:

Likes symbolipoint
Tom.G said:
p.s. To save some money on Lens Cleaning Solution for eyeglasses, use liquid dishwashing detergent, warm running water, and your fingers. It doesn't take much detergent, a light smear on your finger gets both lenses.
1) Wet lenses w/ warm water
2) Liquid Dish Detergent on wet finger (it takes very little)
3) Rub finger and thumb together
4) Lightly rub both wet lenses
5) Rinse
5a) repeat 1 thru 5 as needed6) Shake off excess water
7) Dry with lens cloth (or towel if you are brave :)))
Absolutely my method or the past thirty odd (I do mean odd) years. I prefer very clean microfiber for the final wipe and palmolive free and clear for detergent . (One need worry a little bit about paper towels if they contain recycled paper: these can contain clay and be slightly abrasive)

• Informative
Likes jim mcnamara and symbolipoint
'Steamed up-plus' by mask wearing ??

I stopped trying to clean my glasses with domestic soaps or detergent, now just use a soft nail-brush under running water, dry with a clean, no-pile cloth.
Unfortunately, 'blue' hand-wash and 'green' dish-wash stuff are good at their designated jobs, but less so with 'coated' lenses. I'd prefer the colourless 'industrial' additive-free detergent I'd use in 'sonic' baths, but it only seems to come in multi-litre portions...

hutchphd said:
(One need worry a little bit about paper towels if they contain recycled paper: these can contain clay and be slightly abrasive)
Virgin paper can be abrasive too. I avoid touching my glasses with any wood based products unless they are specifically made for lenses.

BoB

As I understand it finished paper often has a slurry of clay applied as the hard finish. Are there other abrasive components also? Maybe white pigments in the clay?

I worked on a project for paper recycling once. We found that in addition to clay, we found titanium oxide. Mostly in glossy magazine paper.

Likes BillTre
chemisttree said:
we found titanium oxide.
For "blinding/glaring/brilliant" whites.

1. Can liquid hand soaps really smudge my eyeglass lenses?

Yes, some liquid hand soaps can smudge your eyeglass lenses. This is because they often contain ingredients that can leave a residue on your glasses, such as oils or moisturizers.

2. How do I know if my hand soap will smudge my eyeglass lenses?

The best way to determine if your hand soap will smudge your eyeglass lenses is to read the ingredients list. Look for any oils or moisturizers, as these are more likely to leave a residue on your glasses.

3. Can I still use hand soap to clean my glasses?

Yes, you can still use hand soap to clean your glasses, but it is important to choose a soap that is specifically designed for cleaning eyeglass lenses. These soaps are formulated to be gentle and not leave any residue on your glasses.

4. What should I do if my glasses get smudged by hand soap?

If your glasses get smudged by hand soap, the best way to clean them is to rinse them with warm water and then use a microfiber cloth to gently wipe away any residue. You can also use a small amount of eyeglass cleaner if needed.

5. Are there any alternative methods for cleaning my glasses?

Yes, there are alternative methods for cleaning your glasses that do not involve using hand soap. You can use a specialized eyeglass cleaning solution, pre-moistened lens wipes, or a homemade solution of water and mild dish soap. It is important to avoid using harsh chemicals or rough materials on your glasses, as these can damage the lenses.